shape
carat
color
clarity

Misrepresentation of AGA Cut Chart

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kevinng

Shiny_Rock
I have just come across this at Original Diamonds:

AGA Cut Chart?

The 1a grade for BR diamonds is narrower that the one at David''s site. Plus, they have this H&A Ideal Cut (wonder who came up with that). I seriously doubt that David would come up with a H&A Ideal Cut chart.

Maybe David should have a word with them?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here is what was sent to the website today:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I see you have the AGA Cut Charts on your site. It is wonderful to see this exposure. Since your site was last updated there are several changes in these charts.

Please visit the www.gemappraisers.com site and feel free to copy the charts to make the changes. I have eliminated the weight break on rounds, changed the crown height on princess, changed girdle ranges, etc.... There are several changes, mostly minor, but of importance.

THANK YOU for seeing to it that your clients are well served.

Dave Atlas
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We will see how it goes. Thanks for the advisory. I hope they make an update.

Sasori

Shiny_Rock
Hi David,
I'm confused,
1) I'm not able to find the cut chart on your website, so is there a H&A cut?

2) you mentioned that the charts at Originals was not updated. So its not a mispresentation of AGA cut chart but rather not updated only?
ie an ideal base on old chart is no longer an ideal now.

Or as Kevinng's title, the charts were misrepresented, and thus makes them eroneous to use? ie a diamond i bought last time which falls under Originals' ideal was never an ideal??

But I noted that it was mentioned that the 1a grade is narrower. Does it mean that the "old" chart is "stricter" while the updates allow for more leeway in judgement?

*confuse confused*

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sasori;

NO ONE could say you are not confused. The AGA charts are readily found on the gemappraisers.com website. Use the left side of the screen and select accordingly. You can have DIY, do it yourself, grading or you can view the charts and rules. The website referred to that is using my chart has renamed the 1A stones, but parameters are just that, numbers.

Take a look at the current version before you get disturbed about any changes. A great diamond is great , no matter what the numbers, to a large extent.

Sasori

Shiny_Rock
Thanks David,
Found the chart, was hunting high and low, didnt realise I just need to click on the DIY the chart will appear.

Great! stone is still an 1a.
I realise there is no H&A cut under AGA cut chart.
So there was never a H&A cut specification? And thus falling into the specification under Originals H&A does not guarantee a H&A?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my queries.
1.gif

kevinng

Shiny_Rock
Yes, H&A is a test of super symmetry. It does not gaurantee good proportions not light return.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If anyone has an example of a low light performance H&A cut round diamond, I sure would love to see it. I know that parameters alone do not dictate totally the light behavior, but to think that there is no relationship between well cut and H&A is nonsense also. There is a distinct correlation between excellent craftmanship and very good to superb light performance. There is also a very distinct relationship between poorly crafted and miserable light perfomance.

Part of the reason that parameters do not totally answer the need is the inherent inaccuracy and relative simplicity of the Sarin and Ogi devices. They do not measure perfectly and they do not begin to measure all the pertinent features of a diamond. For those reasons, predictions based on what is measured just don't go all the way to a full answer.

kevinng

Shiny_Rock
I have not seen very poor light performances in H&A diamonds. However, I have seen some that do not appear to be superior. H&A diamonds are sold with a premium and as a consumer, I would expect the light return to be high.

This one I spotted in GOG's education stone:

Mediocre H&A

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have always stated that I thought H&A was a fortunate accident and had little to do with performance or quality. This continues to be my opinion. If someone wants to spend money on an appearance that can't even been examined after the diamond is set in the ring, more pwoer to them, but it would not be my way of selecting a diamond. n If someone wants to spend a premium amliunt for the H&A effect, no problem, but it is marketing and not science at work.

H&A images have many levels of correctness. Not all H&A looks are the same and not every one is equal to every other one. I was given a long lesson by Mr. Gavin of Whtieflash on this subject. He can grade the quality of H&A appearances and infer from them the cut / symmetry of the diamond. So to him there is some added meaning, but he is a master of this and I am more an observer of it. (H&A).

I think this thread gives due warning to consumers that H&A has some meaning, but possibly not as much as one might think from listening to all the hype. You just can't believe everything that is said in advertising, can you?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 8/25/2004 9:40:31 AM kevinng wrote:

I have not seen very poor light performances in H&A diamonds. However, I have seen some that do not appear to be superior. H&A diamonds are sold with a premium and as a consumer, I would expect the light return to be high.

This one I spotted in GOG's education stone:

Mediocre H&A

----------------

You had posted a link to another stone Kev? One that was worse than 'mediocre'. Why did you take it down?

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
The other one he posted had a bit better BS report but still had the ring of death. The only difference is that it didn't appear to be one of the educational stones.

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a simple demo we use in discussion with clients re Hearts and Arrows

Hopefully it can be of some help

For practical purposes when we grade loose diamonds we identify two types of H&A,
One is where the diamond is cut within a range of angles and dimensions that displays a H&A pattern. We would suggest a grade of “displays Hearts and Arrows” This is a diamond that is within the range of dimensions but was not specifically cut as a Hearts & Arrows.

The second is a diamond that was specifically cut to emphasis the hearts and arrows pattern. Usually identified by smaller lower girdle facets. This we would grade “Hearts and Arrows”

The two images below represent two diamonds with exactly the same weight and basic dimensions you would enter into the HCA.
For ref.

Weight. 1.00 ct
Diameter. 6.50mm
Total Depth: 60.4%
Crown Height: 14.8
Crown Angle: 34.5
Table Diameter: 57%
Pavilion. Depth: 42.9
Pavilion Angle: 40.65

The diamonds on the left has lower girdle facets of 82% and the diamond on the right 74% Notice the difference, but both have the same dimensions save for the lower girdle facets

Johan

file32he.gif

kevinng

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 8/25/2004 5:20:20 PM Garry H (Cut Nut) wrote:

Meaning?----------------

Meaning... I was trying to be nice when I took it out.
3.gif

kevinng

Shiny_Rock
OK... I am putting another educational stone back. This one is better:

Mediocre H&A

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results