shape
carat
color
clarity

BGD experience. NOT happy, and no ring for mom's 70th bday.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I thought I'd give BGD a try. Liked a stock ring they had and thought I'd get it for my mom's 70th birthday. I am taking her to Hawaii for her 70th birthday and wanted to present it there.

On August 16th, I emailed Leslie inquiring about a ring on their site. My fault, as I didn't bother to go through the company page contact info, simply e-mailing [email protected]. I didn't check if that was a valid email address, but just went from what I thought was memory seeing it on PS. I still don't know if that is a valid email address, but I never received a response back. No big deal, it happens.

I went on a business trip the week after and when I came back, still no response and I realized time was running out. This time I used the website contact button and heard from Jamie right away on 8/31.

My inquiry initally was about the quality of the sapphires #5467 and I wanted to know if they had any handshots offhand. Again, not a big deal if they didn't (and Jamie said they did not). She simply sent me the stock photo (which I had seen since I inquired about it with the link) and said if I placed my order that day, it would take 12 business days. My mothers birthday is on September 10. Obviously that wouldn't fly for me. So I sent this response:

"Would it be possible to put a rush on it? It would be size 5.5. My moms 70th birthday is next week. I emailed Leslie over two weeks ago, but must have emailed the wrong address...I emailed [email protected]. If that is the correct email address, I did not hear from her."

To which I got a quick response back from Jamie saying they would be able to put a rush on it and she asked when my mother's birthday was.

I responded:

"Her birthday is Sept 10, but we leave on September 8th for Hawaii. Which means I'd have to receive it on September 7th. I know that's crazy, so I understand if I am asking too much. I just forgot that I had emailed Leslie on the 16th (I can forward that email to you if you'd like.)"

Basically, I really understood that this was not a costly item, and that in the end, it was my fault for not following up with someone earlier than 8/31. If I couldn't have the ring, that was fine. I would find something locally, or find a PS vendor who could rush something. No big deal. I was pleased BGD said they could do it.

Jamie responded again that they did not know if they could send it out "next Tuesday" but would make sure I would have it on the 7th. I responded again:

"Hi Jamie,

Next Tuesday is the 7th? We leave on Wednesday the 8th, so it must arrive by the 7th, which is Tuesday. Please confirm. Thanks again for your help."

She then confirmed that they could have it ready for arrival on the 7th. I thought that was excellent and was impressed.

She then responded on the same day that while it would be ready on Friday, they could not ship out Monday which was the labor day holiday, therefore there was no way it could get here by Tuesday the 7th. Frustrating, but totally understandable, as I figured you can't combat a national holiday. She then asked for the address where were staying in Hawaii and gave me the nearest fed ex holding center. I said it actually might work out better as we had to head to the location to shop at Costco (which is about a 50 minute drive from where we are staying) the day after landing and it might be more convenient than sending it to the holding center near my home. There were actually several emails about the date, the holding centers, etc. She said she would keep me posted and that ended the conversation.

I left last Thursday for a weekend away and did not hear from her via email on Friday. Today I decided to touch base.

The email I received back thanked me for my email and confirmed the setting arrived today, so it would be going into production. She said she couldn't say for certain it would ship tomorrow (Wed) but that it could be ready to ship Thursday or Friday (which is my mom's birthday).

:confused: :angryfire:

Honestly, I was floored. I asked her to look over our entire string of emails as they took the business with the understanding it would make it for my mother's birthday on the 10th. I totally understand that it was a rush and would have been fine if they said they could not do it, but to not follow up at all by the day it was supposed to ship, then say, oh yeah, it will ship Thursday or Friday? Ugh!

I sent the following email back, which admittedly, was terse because I went over this a few times on when I would even need the ring before I placed my order.

"OK Jamie,

My mother's birthday is Friday. I need it to ARRIVE by Thursday to Hawaii as I said. If this cannot be done, PLEASE CANCEL MY ORDER. It does me no good to have it shipped on Friday or even Thursday as I will not be in the vicinity to pick it up. Please look through our email threads for reference.

Again, this needs to ship TOMORROW to arrive in Hawaii by Thursday morning."

To this, I received an email back saying they couldn't get the ring done up to their standards of quality control with the setting only arriving today and the "latency" of the order, and that they will cancel my order.

Latency of the order? Then WHY did they bother taking the order in the first place? I know stuff happens, but boy, talk about poor communication.

Unfortunately, that will be the last time I try to order anything from Brian Gavin Diamonds, and it's a shame. In all my years on PS, and from using and communicating with many vendors (ERD, Leon, Whiteflash, GOG, Wink), this is the first time I've been seriously disappointed in a vendor.

Thanks for reading, and feel free to put me in my place. :tongue:

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Re: BGD experience. NOT happy, and no ring for mom's 70th b

Wow, TG, sorry to hear that you had a difficult time. Sounds like a mix of bad timing (holidays), and mis-communications... Did you end up getting something else for your mother?

atroop711

Ideal_Rock

Ugh so sorry this happened...I hope you are able to get something else but I have to tell you..I wish you were MY DAUGHTER...just the
fact that you took your mom to HAWAII for her bday is FABULOUS (one of my fav places to visit).

I hope this situation doesn't change the mood of your trip. Enjoy every second of your time together and please give your mother
a HAPPY BIRTHDAY from us! :wavey:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

sorry to hear they were not able to get the ring made in time.

Her email address is: [email protected] so that is why you didn't get a reply.
The email address [email protected] is all over the website last I looked and is the main contact email address.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

Tgal, I'm so sorry that your gift may not be available by your Mom's birthday! :(sad And don't be overly generous in letting BGD off the hook for the short lead time causing the problem. It's their job!!!

I too, have had several projects in the hopper with BGD that I pulled the plug on due to their poor communication and frequent confusion regarding what I had asked for. I do not know if it is a byproduct of their growth, a staffing issue, or poorly streamlined communication process. What I do know is that they are losing clients, and clients who would be willing to come back multiple times were their experiences satisfactory.

So count me as another who has permanently crossed BGD off my custom jeweler list. :nono:

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Um. I'm going to have to tell you how I see it because I know you sure as hell can take it!

Let's just break this down:

- You e-mailed a random address (I believe her name is spelt Lesley), then you waited 2 weeks to reach out again. So now the ring needs to be ready in less than a week during a stat holiday weekend. And then you throw a fit and cancel the order!

In my opinion, Jamie should definetely have let you know about the delay. While it sounds like the issue was
out of their control, you should have been kept in the loop. That said, your expectations were unrealistic, especially given how you were the one who essentially caused the biggest delay.

FWIW, I too, have had an issue with response time with BGD. But this sounds like 75% your fault and 25% BGD's fault.

You wanted honesty, so there you have it :tongue:

In anycase, I hope this doesn't ruin your mood and that you have a fantastic time with your mum in Hawaii. She sure is one lucky mother!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

kama_s said:
Um. I'm going to have to tell you how I see it because I know you sure as hell can take it!

- You e-mailed a random address (I believe her name is spelt Lesley), then you waited 2 weeks to reach out again. So now the ring needs to be ready in less than a week during a stat holiday weekend. And then you throw a fit and cancel the order!

In my opinion, Jamie should definetely have let you know about the delay. While it sounds like the issue was
out of their control, you should have been kept in the loop. That said, your expectations were unrealistic, especially given how you were the one who essentially caused the biggest delay.

FWIW, I too, have had an issue with response time with BGD. But this sounds like 75% your fault and 25% BGD's fault.

In anycase, I hope this doesn't ruin your mood and that you have a fantastic time with your mum in Hawaii. She sure is one lucky mother!
However, Jamie said they COULD DO IT. Tgal said that if she'd told her it was impossible she would have happily gone somewhere else. Tgal put her trust in Jamie's word, which she didn't/was unable to keep.

Yes, it was a short time frame, but that was made clear. The job was accepted, and thus should have been completed.

Game, set, match: TGal.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock

I'm going to have to agree with Kama. It's unfortunate, and they definitely should've kept you in the loop and communicated better if they felt they couldn't make the timeline, but I think the majority of the issue lies with you. Sorry! It is frustrating all around, but I don't think it necessarily warrants crossing them off the list and getting upset over. It sounds like they did originally think they could make the timeline, but then were unable to keep it. On such a tight timeline over a holiday weekend I would be surprised if anybody could get it out unless they already had the ring ready in the right size.

I think it's a lovely gesture though and I hope you were able to find something beautiful for your mom's birthday. I'm sure she was thrilled with the trip to Hawaii.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

Upgradable said:
kama_s said:

However, Jamie said they COULD DO IT. Tgal said that if she'd told her it was impossible she would have happily gone somewhere else. Tgal put her trust in Jamie's word, which she didn't/was unable to keep.

Yes, it was a short time frame, but that was made clear. The job was accepted, and thus should have been completed.

Game, set, match: TGal.

I feel like I'm watching a ping pong match. Anyway, this. Sorry, but give someone your word on a time sensitive date and do it or don't accept the order, imho.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

I guess it's one of my big sticking points, "Say what you'll do, then DO what you say!"

Nothing gets my goat faster or for longer than someone who commits to doing something, and then bails on it in the end. :angryfire:

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock

I ordered our wedding bands from BGD and at times was underwhelmed with the customer service. In the end, everything was satisfactory and I will probably purchase from them again.

The biggest issue I had was that I was told our bands would be delayed getting to us b/c they wanted to get glamour shots of my ring alone and of our rings together (DH's ring was ready before mine, so pictures of his on it's own had already been taken). After the wedding, I sent an email asking if I could see these glamour shots of both of our rings. I received an email with pictures of the same type of ring I had, but with an inscription on the inside - my ring has no inscription. I'm not sure if they were trying to pass off pictures of someone else's ring to appease me or if they really thought it was mine. After sending an email back saying that it wasn't my ring, I was told glamour shots weren't taken. Not a huge deal, but please don't tell me I will be receiving my rings late so pictures can be taken if they weren't. I can live without the glamour shots but I was certainly disappointed.

I also designed DH's ring (not sure if it would be considered "custom" as they just took a men's stock ring and added milgrain and drilled holes for diamonds) and was kind of surprised to see it offered for sale on their website with no mention to me that they would be offering it to the public. I clearly don't have any rights to the design, but a little heads-up of "we'll be offering this ring on our website" would have been nice. It doesn't feel as "one of a kind" to me anymore.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I know that not every vendor gives amazing customer service to 100% of their clients, but it's always disheartening when it happens to you. Do you have a back-up plan for your mother's gift?

ETA: I didn't add my experience with BGD to turn this into a thread where we bash them. In hindsight, I should have just written something similar to what kama and Uppy wrote about not being completely satisfied with them as well without going into great detail. I never told anyone at BGD I was less than satisfied so I feel a bit guilty about this post.

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock

Hmmm, tough call and an unfortunate situation all around. IMO it seems like equal fault by both parties (I totally see kama's point but I also agree that they shouldn't have made a promise they couldn't keep) , however, I don't think the situation warrants never ordering from them again and think your reaction might be a bit extreme considering the circumstances. I've heard 95% great reviews about BGD and think that while this situation is very unfortunate it sounds like an exception in their typically great customer service. Sorry for your experience though, I hope you have a fabulous time even without the gift.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yeah I'm with Kama too.

BGD agreeing to try to do the near-impossible is the smaller sin.
Wasting 2 weeks with your email address mistake, then asking for and expecting the near-impossible it is the larger sin.

I think no less of BGD after this one, and agree it's 25% on them and 75% on you.
I imagine they'll be more careful about making promises they can't keep in the future now.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

TGal,

I am sorry but this is why picking up the phone and calling is soooo important... Emails get lost, and you didn't have the right email addy to begin with. Had you called them from the get go, you wouldn't be in this spot now..

BUT I hear ya, they said they could do it, and should have followed up on their promise..

I am just writing this for newbies.. Pick up the phone.. Yanno??

You are such a wonderful daughter, and think your Mom is so lucky to have you.. Hugs!!!!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

kama_s said:

I'm fine to take my lump kama...everyone here knows that.

I acknowledged that I didn't check leslie's email (because I thought itw as spelled like the way I just wrote it and duh...it was wrong!). I in fact, told Jamie I probably had the email wrong. My point in letting her know that I did email Lesley (albeit with the wrong email address) was to let her know I wasn't actually crazy for wanting the ring with such notice...that I had tried and it was my fault that I did not follow up. I stated that in my post.

I did not throw a fit and cancel. I said if it could not get there on time, to cancel. Jamie said in multiple emails that they would be able to make the date. I am understanding that stuff happens. But because she said they could make the date, and in fact make it earlier (by shipping to Hawaii, they essentially got 2 extra days to make it, I do not think my expectations were unrealistic. That doesn't mean that I don't realize it's asking for something fast, but my expecations were set by her answer.

But what I am disappointed in is that I had to reach out today (midday, PDT) to check status. It was to have actually shipped today for tomorrow delivery if it were to come here, OR tomorrow for Thursday delivery if it were to go to Hawaii. She was to keep me posted, per her last email on where it was to be shipped. The date was never in question. She ensured me it would make it by my mother's birthday, no matter where it was delivered. I would quote her email but I don't like to quote what people wrote without permission...doesn't seem right.

Tuckins, no I don't have anything else. Shame on me for not having backup. But I took Jamie's word for it. I didn't want to back up a $700 purchase with another $700 purchase. I should have though, in hindsight. Now, it is simply too late.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Kaleigh said:
TGal,

I am sorry but this is why picking up the phone and calling is soooo important... Emails get lost, and you didn't have the right email addy to begin with. Had you called them from the get go, you wouldn't be in this spot now..

BUT I hear ya, they said they could do it, and should have followed up on their promise..

I am just writing this for newbies.. Pick up the phone.. Yanno??

You are such a wonderful daughter, and think your Mom is so lucky to have you.. Hugs!!!!!

Kaleigh, I'm not disputing the right email addy part. I sent the email to the wrong address. I only mentioned that because I wanted Jamie to understand it's not as if I saw the ring right then and wanted a rush. It probably came through the wrong way, but basically I was admitting fault in not following up. I did not insist the ring should have been done because I emailed "Leslie." I said that I emailed the wrong address, and now was wanting the ring still and could they still do it by X date. If not, no big deal, as I could figure out another solution.

I won't use calls unless it's to generally inquire. All my emails were answered (when I got around to actually using the right one :cheeky: ) and I prefer to keep a paper trail. Otherwise someone could say "you said this" when the person actually said something else.

But calling is good advice generally. I may have inquired about thering over the phone, then confirmed by email, but I didn't know for certain I wanted the ring. When I got back from my business trip, I thought, why not contact them again and see if they can do it under short notice? I honestly did not expect them to say yes. I fully acknowledge it was short notice. I get that, I really do. But even with acknowledging the holiday weekend, they confirmed on multiple occasions it could be done. If it could not have been done, they must have known by Friday the setting wasn't in, which would have given me the weekend to shop and find something local.

THAT is what I have a problem with. Is it a heinous crime? Nope. But I sure don't appreciate the "well, sorry, it was a latent order and we couldn't get it done" when they accepted and confirmed it could be done. Repeatedly.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock

I've exchanged emails with Lesley's correct email address many times where we communicate back and forth, then she disappears. Last time I emailed her about a wedding ring and told me she would send pictures and a price later in the evening, she did send pictures but no price. I emailed back the next day asking for the price, no answer. I wait a week, email again, no answer. This isn't the first time this has happened to me with them. I decided it's not worth the feeling that they don't want my business. WF responds every time to my emails. I hate writing this because I kept hoping I could work with them, I really wanted to work with them. But I made a decision to give my business to the vendor who answers me period, and to boot doesn't make me feel like they can't be bothered to so much as send a response back. :(sad

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

kenny said:
Yeah I'm with Kama too.

BGD agreeing to try to do the near-impossible is the smaller sin.
Wasting 2 weeks with your email address mistake, then asking for and expecting the near-impossible it is the larger sin.

I think no less of BGD after this one, and agree it's 25% on them and 75% on you.
I imagine they'll be more careful about making promises they can't keep in the future now.

OK Kenny, nothing wrong with asking for anything, if one can deal with the answer "no." I don't think I was expecting the "near impossible" when the first ship date essentially was supposed to ship out last Friday to be delivered on Tuesday the 7th (today). Then I said getting it on the 9th in Hawaii would be fine.

In fact, again, I would not have been surprised if the answer was no.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So sorry TGal. What a mess! :((

I haven't had any luck with e-mailing BGD at all, and I've contacted them for a few different reasons. I always get the automated reply that 'someone will get back to you in a few days' but then never receive any further reply. So I will not use them. If they don't want my business, then it's their loss. I know they are very loved on PS, so I'm prepared for the lynch mob. :rodent:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'm on your side, TGal. You told them repeatedly when you needed it, they confirmed they could do it, and then it turns out they couldn't. ETA Plus they tell you they can't do it when it's too late to do anything about it! And what would annoy me the most was them essentially blaming it on you.

I'm sure you can get your mom the same ring from WF when you get back home. I know that wasn't the plan, but it might be even nicer for her because she has 2 great things kind of spread out-the trip and the ring.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Laila619 said:
So sorry TGal. What a mess! :((

I haven't had any luck with e-mailing BGD at all, and I've contacted them for a few different reasons. I always get the automated reply that 'someone will get back to you in a few days' but then never receive any further reply. So I will not use them. If they don't want my business, then it's their loss. I know they are very loved on PS, so I'm prepared for the lynch mob. :rodent:

I think every vendor on PS has good days and bad days. I love working with Leon. There's post after post after post here saying what a horror he is. Neither is wrong, both are right. It's about the person's experience.

BGD seems to do lovely work. Otherwise I would not have bothered with choosing the ring that I chose. BGD also obviously has good customer service judging from the posts here. But *my* experience would cause me not to bother ordering from then again, ever. Why? Not because they're SO terrible, but because in my 6 years here, I have used many PS vendors without incident, some of them more than once. For ME, there are better options. I simply prefer it when someone underpromises and over delivers.

So no lynch mob needed...BGD will continue to serve many happy customers, I am sure!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

thing2of2 said:
I'm on your side, TGal. You told them repeatedly when you needed it, they confirmed they could do it, and then it turns out they couldn't. And what would annoy me the most was them essentially blaming it on you.

I'm sure you can get your mom the same ring from WF when you get back home. I know that wasn't the plan, but it might be even nicer for her because she has 2 great things kind of spread out-the trip and the ring.

I should clarify that I don't think they blamed me. They blamed the latency of the order and the holiday period. They are getting stuff from vendors (the setting only arrived today) I'm sure themselves, and things were out of their control. But communication is always in your control. Even on Friday, I would have been fine with a "It's not going to happen on time" email.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock

I don't see where you're at fault here, whatsoever. If you were promised that they could make the shipping date on time, then this is THEIR fault for not following through with their promise. GOOD communication is key in keeping customers satisfied, in my opinion.

Also, how did TGal 'throw a fit'? She simply told them that if the ring could not be there on the date she was requesting, to cancel to order. That is not what *I* personally consider a fit but I guess everyones opinions on that is different.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock

I'm with you Tgal. It doesn't matter what the customer asks for. We may be educated and we may do research but it is NOT our business and we are NOT the experts. If you tell a customer you can do something, then do it. If you can't, say you can't.

princesss

Ideal_Rock

I think you had unrealistic expectations, but I think they thought they could actually meet them. When it became clear that they wouldn't be able to, however, I think they should have stepped up their communication and told you the instant they knew. Good customer service is about managing expectations - they set the expectation (they were under no obligation to meet your deadline when you e-mailed to ask about doing this, after all) and they needed to meet it.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock

I'm sorry T-gal, they should have told you the ring was not going to be ready on time. Even if was the past weekend, you could had bought something else for your mom's b-day during the weekend. I totally understand you, If I were and your situation I would be fuming :angryfire:

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

It sounds like there were some communication issues on both your parts. That said, learning experience for you TGal (on checking e-mail addresses) and hopefully a learning experience for them (on more accurately gauging whether they can complete a project on time).

That said, TGal, you're a great daughter! And I hope you and your mother have a wonderful time in Hawaii celebrating her birthday. I'm guessing 70 is a big birthday? I know my mom's 60th was huge (especially in Korean culture). Happy Birthday to her!

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock

Hmm, I know the point of this thread is that you're NOT happy with BGD's service -- but that ring is gorgeous. I think you may have inspired me to purchase one for myself! Non-rush, of course.

Ninna

Shiny_Rock

I'm so sorry about this :nono: They should have told you the ring wasn't going to be done on time. I agree with all, communication is key....Oh this is bad, sorry!

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock

I say the entire first part about emailing the wrong address has pretty much nothing to do with any of this. So what she emailed them so late in the game? She clearly explained how quickly the ring was needed, they worked out a plan for having it shipped to Hawaii because they couldn't ship it directly to her by the day needed - and then seemed to have a 'stock' sort of response about it shipping on a completely unacceptable date.

She could have emailed them 5 minutes before it needed to ship - it doesn't matter. The fact is they told her YES, they could do it, and then dropped the ball.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results