shape
carat
color
clarity

I need some help?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mr polo

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend has her heart set on this Ritani ring. http://ritani.com/rings/wedding_sets/1190F/1190F_tt.htm#

The specs on the ring are as follows....

Princess cut,
5.71 X 5.14 X 3.82 mm,
1.00 ct,
H color,
VVS2 clarity,
depth 74.3%,
table 73%,
girdle thin to thick,
culet none,
polish/symmm very good/good,

The side stones on the ring are H, VVS2 and are .5 ct.

I really want to get the ring but the jeweler is asking $7400 for it. Is that too steep of a price?

KBerly

Brilliant_Rock
mr polo, i think that is steep for a setting and band, but then again, you are the only one who knows your budget
1.gif

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
My .02$
1c Princess Center stone for 3900 (PS search)
0.5c Baguette side stones for 900 (1800/carat)
www.tradeshop.com/master/melle.shtml
Ritani setting + Jeweler profit for 2500

Doesn't sound horrible to me for a Ritani, if the specs are right. You could ask another jeweler to quote the setting or spend $80 and take the Ritani to an independent appraiser (assumes you can get your money back)

mr polo

Rough_Rock
bump

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
How important is the name ritani stamped on the inside? There are jewelers that could make something similar or change it slightly to your specs so she has something that's one of a kind.

For example, I know Mark at ERD would be able to custom make that piece at a better price - all you'd have to do is send him that link.

As far as the center stone goes, it's rectangular-esque (that's fine if she likes that, just pointing it out) at l/w 1.11. Also, you're overpaying for clarity at VVS2 - you could easily drop down to a VS2 and still have a beautiful eye-clean diamond. I found THIS 1.01 H VS2 for $3581.

Again, if the ritani name is important to her & money isn't an issue then, by all means, go for it
2.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Another fine looking stone alexah!!!

mr polo

Rough_Rock
Alexah,

Thanks for responding. The jeweler told me that since it's a Ritani, they are not allowed to discount the ring as much as they can with a more common design. They are suppose to bringing in some loose diamonds for me to look at on Friday so hopefully I can find something in the VS2 range keeping everything else equal. I just hope that its enough to get me within my budget. I'm trying to get the price down to about $7000.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
I hope so too! Best of luck to you!
appl.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 8/26/2004 10:29:52 AM mr polo wrote:

Alexah,

The jeweler told me that since it's a Ritani, they are not allowed to discount the ring as much as they can with a more common design. ----------------

They may have a contract that prevents them from discounting the ring but they can still discount the diamond, which is not a Ritani product. The effect on your budget is the same. They may not wish to do this for other reasons but they can end up pricing the final ring however they want, their Ritani contract doesn't really apply.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
If you are going to choose your stones, ask to see a couple I SI1 stones as well. You may discover no visible difference when you compare side by side with the H VVS2.

The below price stat link is a great way to see what spec trade-offs cost.
https://www.pricescope.com/repscope.asp
VVS2 to SI1 can save 700/carat
H to I can save 1k/carat

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Down the link you posted I found a set with channel set princess diamons and crossed prongs. This is very popular and does exist outside Ritani's line. The one by Vatche looks very much alike and is quite widely available. They do have matching bands as well. The others came up in 5min so I added them to the pic just in case.

ChannelPrincess.JPG

mr polo

Rough_Rock
The jeweler called me today and said that they have a couple more Ritani's available for me to look at. I'm a little confused about the cut on a Princess cut...I can't find much info on them....I usually see info for rounds. Does anyone know whether it's better to have a higher depth than table percentage or to have a higher table than depth percentage? Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results