shape
carat
color
clarity

4 prongs - boxy ?

STEPHANSON

Shiny_Rock
i was just wondering if 4 prong setting would make a round brilliant look boxy? and if any of you ladies have pictures to share of 4 prongs.

littlelanhua

Rough_Rock
i orignally had 6 prongs, i damaged a prong and decided to change to 4, it looks bigger to me, thicker prongs maybe? anyway, i love the way 4 prongs makes my little sparkler look cushiony shaped. here's a pic for reference.

fronton.JPG

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Here's my mom's four prong. I think 6 prongs do make a stone look rounder, but in the hands of a good setter who can make small, dainty prongs, I think four prongs will look great (and not make the stone look really boxy). Brian Gavin Diamonds, who did my mom's ring, Whiteflash, Leon Mege, are some examples of popular vendors here who can definitely make small, unobtrusive prongs. I also have a ton of colored stone rings with four prongs if you look through my past threads.

Also, if you look here - https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-forum-engagement-ring-folder-eye-candy.5429/ - there are tons and tons of gorgeous rings, many in four-prong settings.

file.jpg

file.jpg

file.jpg

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I have a 4-prong solitaire that I am in the process of changing to a TIffany style 6-prong kinfe edge. You can see my old 4-prong cathedral setting in my avatar pic. Right now it's on it's way to BGD to be reset. When I get the new ring back in a few weeks, I will post comparison pics.

I prefer a 6-prong with an RB because I think it makes the diamond look bigger. The top & bottom prongs add height to the stone, so the stone looks larger on the hand.

Rose_Dust

Shiny_Rock
I personally hate the look of the 6-prong and prefer the 4-prong because I don't like my diamond sitting up really high where I can knock it around, also I feel 4-prong lets more light in just because there is less metal surrounding hte stone. But that being said 6-prongs are safer than 4, just something to consider.

Don't have pics yet, sorry...

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Rose_Dust said:
I personally hate the look of the 6-prong and prefer the 4-prong because I don't like my diamond sitting up really high where I can knock it around, also I feel 4-prong lets more light in just because there is less metal surrounding hte stone. But that being said 6-prongs are safer than 4, just something to consider.

Don't have pics yet, sorry...

I don't think that's necessarily a 6-prong thing. I've seen some really high 4-prongs (including my mom's old e-ring setting), as well as low 6-prong settings, for example, Mark Morrell's work, or the Tiffany classic 6-prong.

Mark Morrell Petite Sunburst
Petite_SunBurst_0.97ct._D-IF_sz5_004.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
4 prongs that are done delicately will not make a round diamond look boxy. However, I feel that large or bulky prongs do make a round diamond look boxy.

I think it's more about the size of the stone. I have a .70 ct 4 prong and its VERY boxy, but the 3.18 rb in 4 prongs is not as boxy because the metal to stone ratio is different :) Does that make sense? On smaller stones vs larger stones the prongs dont scale in size, they are about the same size if it's a .50 carat or a 4 carat.

ella86

Rough_Rock
Are 6 prongs usually a higher profile setting? Those settings look awful on my petite hand.

It just depends on the setting. I've seen very low and high 6 prongs... same with 4 prongs. Just depends on the setting.

You need to also take into consideration the stone size.. a 4 carat stone will obviously have to sit higher than a .40 carat ..

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
I think we can all agree that prongs, 4 or 6, can be done badly in the wrong hands. Both 4 and 6 can be beautiful. I have a 4 prong solitaire and my prongs are delicate and "swoopy" as some have commented. Good luck either way.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
I think we can all agree that prongs, 4 or 6, can be done badly in the wrong hands. Both 4 and 6 can be beautiful. I have a 4 prong solitaire and my prongs are delicate and "swoopy" as some have commented. Good luck either way.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results