shape
carat
color
clarity

Pizzelle recipes?

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Just made my first batch of pizzelles with my new Cuisinart pizzelle maker. Outside of the regular recipe, does anyone have any really good unique ones?

I'd like to try and make a chocolate mint variety using cocoa powder and mint extract or using a liquer in place of an extract. Any thoughts??

Camille

Shiny_Rock
This is a basic recipe came with the iron. I omitted the 1/2 ts of anise oil extract a few years back as DH isn't fond of it. The options are endless, they can be shaped, rolled and filled. If you are happy with your recipe, scroll down to Flavors, enjoy.

3 eggs, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/8 ts of salt
1 ts vanilla extract [often use a full Tb of vanilla only]
1 ts almond extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder

Directions

In a large bowl, beat eggs, salt and sugar until thick. Stir in the melted butter and vanilla. Sift together the flour and baking powder over the bowl and blend into the batter with a spatula until smooth.
Heat the pizzelle iron, and brush with oil or spray with Pam. Drop about 1 heaping teaspoon of batter off center closer to the back hinges to get them round. Mine take for 40 seconds to bake. Carefully remove cookies from the iron, shape or lave flat. Cool completely before storing in an airtight container.

Flavors:

* Amaretto: add 1/4 ts almond extract, 1/4 ts orange extract, 1 ts Amaretto and 1/4 ts orange zest [optional]
* Rum: add 1 1/2 ts of rum to the batter and 3 Tb of chopped pecans [optional]
* Grand Marnier: add 2 tb Grand Marnier and 1 ts orange zest [optional]
* Cinnamon: add 1 ts ground cinnamon to the batter.
* Cardamom/orange: add 1/4 ts of ground cardamom and 1/2 ts orange oil extract. [experiment, I once used 1/4 ts of cardamom, 1 ts rose water and 4 Tb ground unsalted pistachios, they tasted like baklava cookies they were great as ice ream cones]
* Lemon: add 1 ts lemon oil extract and 1/4 ts lemon zest to the batter. Same for orange.

* Chocolate: to the sifting flour/baking powder add 1/4 cup Ghirardelli's Chocolate Hazelnut cocoa and extra 1/4 ts of baking powder. If you decide to add mini chocolate chips to the batter, increase flour a bit.
* Choclate Mint: Add 1/2 ts of white Creme de Menthe to the chocolate version.

* Filled Chocolate Mint: Bake chocolate pizzelle version and cool. Carefully Melt 12 oz semisweet chocolate with 4 tb of unsalted butter add 1/2 ts mint extract, let cool to thicken and use this filling to attach 2 pizzelles.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Camille, Thanks so very much for the recipes and flavors! I think I will try a new one every week. I especially want to try the Grand Marnier and the one with the chocolate hazlenut cocoa and the one with the Creme de Menthe chocolate version.

I am starting to drool. I am also thinking these will make some nice Christmas presents. Bottle of Creme de Menthe with the pizelles as an accompaniment.

Camille

Shiny_Rock
Glad to help. They make great Christmas gifts, most people appreciate these hand baked goods :lickout:
They are inexpensive, but if you really don't want to waste, I would suggest turning the iron on early adding only Half of the liquor [as brands vary] to the batter and bake a mini, taste it and go from there! I have noticed that grated orange/lemon tend to darken up a little too much, some people 'hate' that.
Chocolate, I haven't used Good melted chocolate in the batter for years, a bit more flour is required ending in a thicker/undesirable cookie [to me] on the other hand, drizzling with good quality melted chocolate is great.
Keep us posted, Yummy in advance, Camille.

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
You ladies made me want an iron, love those cookies :lickout:

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I just made another batch today with vanilla extract and formed them in a muffin pan to have them later with some gelato and fruit.

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
My Nana used to always make my mom and I a HUGE thing of pizzelles along with other various Italian cookies...nom nom. Ours had a little anisette liqueur in them and were definitely not a huge favorite of anyone who wasn't raised on them. So? If you wanna try out an old school Italian taste, throw some of that in the next batch. And then send me some. :)

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
It's official, I love these cookies!
Got an iron for $20 from Ace Hardware on clearance w/o instructions :confused:
The vanilla [using a Full Tablespoon] where an instant hit, gone in 5 minutes!
I used Hershey's cocoa for the second batch quite bitter and yucky...the third batch was great, couldn't find the Hazelnut cocoa, double chocolate was used instead, super crispy and very light. Thanks soocool for the Idea and Camille for posting the recipes for all.

Pizzelle.jpg

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Ninna said:
It's official, I love these cookies!
Got an iron for $20 from Ace Hardware on clearance w/o instructions :confused:
The vanilla [using a Full Tablespoon] where an instant hit, gone in 5 minutes!
I used Hershey's cocoa for the second batch quite bitter and yucky...the third batch was great, couldn't find the Hazelnut cocoa, double chocolate was used instead, super crispy and very light. Thanks soocool for the Idea and Camille for posting the recipes for all.

Ninna, I have gone pizzelle crazy. Yesterday I made another batch, this time formed them into small cones and filled with chocolate mousse (I made them as a surprise for DD's first day back at school). Her friends came over because they always know I make something special when they go back to school. I didn't even get a chance to try one. 8 teens - 5 girls, 3 boys ate up all 36 I made. They all said this was by far the best treat I made to date. I have to buy some cocoa to make the chocolate ones.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I don't have her specific recipe, but my friend has added almond oil to her pizzelles before and it's really good!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results