shape
carat
color
clarity

to sauder or not to sauder ?

STEPHANSON

Shiny_Rock
i have had my Ering for 3 years and Wring for 2 years and i haven't saudered them. i like having them as 2 seperate rings. i see them as 2 seperates, (a engagment and wedding ring) and feel they're just not the same if they are saudered together. but i have heard its bad for the rings to be rubbing onto each other. i would love your opinion and any stories you ladies may have. much appreciated :D

STEPHANSON

Shiny_Rock
Oo and is it even possible with a solitaire and a shared prong eternity band. sorry, not sure the process or details.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
It's just my personal preference but I don't like soldering rings together. I like to wear my rings separately at times. To me soldering them is like damaging them because you can't undo it. If they rub you could get a very thin spacer band.

Rae~

Shiny_Rock
I think it's a personal preference in many ways. For myself, I would never solder rings together but many do and are completely happy with the result. My Mum did as well and swears by it; each to their own.

A spacer is the way I would go if my rings were rubbing, but that is still a decision in the future for me as I am not even engaged yet. But my partner & I hope to be able to have my w-ring and e-ring designed so that rubbing is not an issue.

STEPHANSON said:
Oo and is it even possible with a solitaire and a shared prong eternity band. sorry, not sure the process or details.

Interesting question - I'm really not sure. I've never seen an eternity band soldered, but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean it *can't* be done...?

Are you already seeing actual damage from rubbing, or is this something you are thinking just to pre-empt?

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My rings weren't originally soldered together because I wanted the freedom of wearing my e-ring with any band I chose for the day, but when I did wear my e-ring with my matching channel set wedding bands (one on each side), it drove me crazy to see one band turning left, one turning right and the stones never lining up. So eventually my jeweler did solder them together, but there's just a small dot of solder between each ring. Mine can be taken apart, and they have been taken apart when I had them resized.

I'm sure it can be done, but I wouldn't solder an eternity band to an e-ring. Soldering is usually done to keep the stones lined up. With an eternity, you don't have that problem. While you probably just want to keep the rings together, you'd never be able to wear your eternity alone unless you had them undone.

DearBuddha

Brilliant_Rock
I sort of don't see the point of soldering two rings together unless the wedding band is a curved band that spins against the engagement ring. It's completely a personal preference for me, mostly because I wouldn't be able to stand constantly rotating my wedding band to sit flush against the e-ring, and I wouldn't like the sight of a curved band alone on my finger.

If your bands are conventional, I wouldn't solder them together because it gives you more options when wearing them.

Rose_Dust

Shiny_Rock
My rings (when I have them) will be saudered together because the WR is curved. My mother has hers saudered together and it looks great all the time. I have also had a RHR of three curved bands done so that they dont' spin and separate. I guess you can say I'm a fan and so is my family. But whatever works for you.

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
Kind of random response but I recall something somewhere that became an insurance liability issue for someone. They soldered the rings together and when they were lost the insurance co (homeowners not Jewlers Mutual, said it was one ring to replace not two! ) that said if you do lose it, you are now out 2 rings not one! :(

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Unless one of my rings was being damaged by rubbing, I would leave them separate. I had my original set soldered and hated it.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope, I hate the soldered look because there is less movement and then you cannot wear different bands, which I like to do.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
I'm completely against it.

My friend soldered her old engagement and wedding band together from her first marriage. Since she's on her second, she's asked me to photograph so she can part with it.

When they soldered the two together, they mangled the head, covered side stones, and even broke a baguette clean through. It's horrific.

After all that, she soldered her new one together too! :errrr: I don't understand.

Pictures of the mangling...

ring 011.png

ring 034.png

ring 023.png

oranges

Brilliant_Rock
i vote NO! if you want to wear the rings together with minimal damage, a spacer is your best bet...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results