shape
carat
color
clarity

2nd Birthday Ideas

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Hi-looking for some feedback from mommy friends! It'll be a small get together with mostly family and not too many kids (since we are displaced due to house work). We do have a large garden to work with, and the birth date is end of Sept on the East Coast (ie weather could be great or...not!). I'd like to keep it casual this year, bbq,etc. I also am thinking of a Dora theme or maybe a bouncy house.

Anyway, a few questions I have - is a bouncy house, hamburgers and hot dogs (TJ's of course ;-) suitable for this age group?Is that more for a bigger group? I think TGAL did something similar for her her little girl. Any other thoughts from those who've had a party recently?

Thanks!!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Bounce houses are always a hit, but I would look for a company that gives you your money back in case of rain. I think it will be fine for the smaller kids as long as there are not big kids in there at the same time to make it bounce too much. Sounds like fun!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I love the bounce house Idea, though I like Steph's tips about it too.

I'd make sure to have lots of snack options, in case some kids don't like hamburgers or hot dogs.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Meena will not go in the bounce house when there are lots of kids inside. Our nephew and our friends' DD, same age as M, both do well in the bounce house even when there are lots of older kids jumping inside. The bounce house had always been a hit whenever we get it.

Hamburgers and hot dogs are fine. Ditto on having other snacks around, think cheese cubes and fruits. Or maybe a pasta salad too since most kids seem to like pasta/noodles.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
If you're going to do a bounce house, can you look into one of those activity bounce houses? My friend had one at her 1yrold b-day party that was pretty much a bounce house playground.

As for food, hot dogs and hamburgers are fine. Maybe even some chicken nuggets? Ditto cheese cubes and fruit. We did hamburgers and hot dogs for the kids and they were fine. I learned that kids aren't really all that interested in food when they have things to keep them busy.

Another thing that was a big hit at S's birthday party was sports equipment. We went to Wal-Mart and bought 2 $1 jump ropes, a soccer ball, and a soft baseball/bat. The kids loved that. And we gave away the equipment at the end which they loved as well.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
I just had O's first birthday at my house (which I will NEVER do again :devil: ) BUT we had some 2-3 year olds there. We just had an inflatable bounce house that my friend owns. The kids of all ages loved it. We also just threw some sidewalk chalk, huge bubble wands, hula hoops and jump ropes in a basket outside which were a huge hit.

Food wise, we had chicken nuggets, fruit, cupcakes.

Sounds fun Janine!!!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone!

CC: how great that your friend had a bouncy house! The ones I looked at are pretty pricey. Not that I mind the splurge, just might not be that many kids to justify it. Which brings me to my next ques--how many kids did you have at your party!

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
It wasn't super huge, but yeah, not something I would buy. I think the grandparents bought it, they have a couple of grandkids and keep it at their beach house.

Let's see. We had maybe 12 kids?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
bounce houses are always a hit! I am tempted to do her third b-day party at a kids place that provides everything for me (ex Monkey Joe's) just because she will have so many more friends this year (daycare combined with preschool) but I hosted her first two at our house. They were a success. I provided food, too many cupcakes, favor bags, and did really no entertainment for the little ones. I like to do themes and if you think she would love a Dora party (and who wouldn't? ;)) ) I have a feeling T will request a princess theme party. She is obsessed with all things princess.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
ohhh I LOVE the bubble wand idea!!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
We had a bounce house (15x15 was a good size) which was Elmo themed. I went with a place which was a bit more expensive, but the bounce house was spotless and odorless. One of my friends recently went with a more shady place and there was duct tape everywhere and the thing smelled.

My friend had a bubble making machine that the kids loved.

We also had a sand pit (our own), and had goody sand pails with beachy stuff. We also had a balloon twisting person who was a huge hit. Taco lady came and also had hot dogs for the kids. The only thing that was not a hit was the cake...I chose a cake based on my (adult) taste because I knew Amelia would not eat it. Adults loved the cake. Kids thought it was disgusting since I chose French Cream frosting which isn't that sickly sweet stuff.

I'm never throwing another house party like that again, but it was fun. I'd say a bounce house is a cost effective way to entertain. Plus chips, hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken nuggets (or pizza) and cake and it's an easy party.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, and my friend had a bunch of cheap balls (light bouncy kind) and filled up a pack and play like cage with them. Kids loved grabbing them and throwing them around.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results