shape
carat
color
clarity

Finding a stone for my LOGR halo

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Almost two years ago I bought two green tourmaline cushions for a project for my mother. I used one and then saved the other because I loved the minty green color. I finally bought a micropave halo setting from LOGR and brought it to my local jeweler to set it. When I went to pick it up I noticed that the culet had been crushed during the mounting. The owner of the store (who hadn't actually laid his eyes on the ring prior to me coming in to get it) took the ring back and brought it to his lapidary to get it polished and recut.

The recut left the stone shallow, windowed, and just weird looking. I thought I was OK with the recut but the more I look at it the more I dislike it. It was such a pretty cut before and had some nice dispersion and brilliance. Now it just shines mint green without anything else going on. Its just dead in the center. He has offered to give me the money I paid for the stone towards buying a new stone. I am not sure what I want to put in there!

The setting is meant for a 6 x 6 mm cushion and the stone will be prong-set. I am open to just about anything that will fit in there. I have looked at asschers, rounds, and cushions. I found a few options but would love to see what else you guys think could fit. I am unsure about my ability to pick out anything else but a cushion that is the same size as the existing stone so advice on what size of stone to go with if I get a step-cut or round is much appreciated.

I originally paid $105 for the stone but I am willing to shell out more for something exceptional. Dan Stair is not the only cutter I am looking at but his site had the most potential stones without going for a custom cut. Like I said, I'm open to any suggestions from any cutter!

Here are a few that I'm looking at
http://www.customgemstones.com/TOURMALINE/to1379.html

http://www.customgemstones.com/SAPPHIRE/sa1389.html

http://www.customgemstones.com/SAPPHIRE/sa1352.html

http://www.customgemstones.com/SAPPHIRE/sa1333.html

http://www.customgemstones.com/GARNET/ga1385.html

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the Namanga garnet or the tourmaline, but for some reason I'm digging dark pinks lately.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Gotta ask the obvious.

1) Don't you need a cushion shape?
2) Have you measured really carefully the dimensions of the head of the settiing, I've heard of LOGR setting that had a smaller head than their supposed dimensions.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
ChunkyCushionLover said:
Gotta ask the obvious.

1) Don't you need a cushion shape?
2) Have you measured really carefully the dimensions of the head of the settiing, I've heard of LOGR setting that had a smaller head than their supposed dimensions.

1) I have seen many people put a round stone in a square halo in SMTB. I assumed that I could do the same with this setting. Maybe not though?

2) I will measure when I get back to school on Monday and have calipers at my disposal. Looking at the setting I know the stone was 5.8 x 5.8. The prongs are angled in every so slightly for the stone so be set. So I think that 6 x 6 mm is pretty close to the truth.

So, with this information, I am going to figure that the diagonal distance (which would probably dictate which size round stone I could get to sit correctly in there) is 8.2 mm. Though, an 8.2 mm stone would totally overwhelm the setting since the halo is really delicate.

I suppose I just answered my own question about using a round stone! I hadn't sat down and thought it out that far yet. I'll stick with square stones.

A cushion would be the best choice, I'm sure. Just wanted to see if anyone else thought that there were other options out there.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
lavatea said:
I really like the Namanga garnet or the tourmaline, but for some reason I'm digging dark pinks lately.

Thanks for the input! I love deep saturated pinks as well. I want something that will pop in this setting! Im going to keep the garnet on my short list since I think I should probably exclude rounds from the list.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Claire, I would stay away from the blue sapphires. They look pretty dark to me. The Namanga looks nice.

I don't see why you couldn't put a round in a cushion setting. I love that look. You would just have to make sure the round dimensions will work with your setting.

Is your setting in WG?

There's a pretty Mali garnet at Finewater which is slight big - it's 6.3 mm round. http://www.finewatergems.com/garnet.html

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
B.E.G. said:
Claire, I would stay away from the blue sapphires. They look pretty dark to me. The Namanga looks nice.

I don't see why you couldn't put a round in a cushion setting. I love that look. You would just have to make sure the round dimensions will work with your setting.

Is your setting in WG?

There's a pretty Mali garnet at Finewater which is slight big - it's 6.3 mm round. http://www.finewatergems.com/garnet.html

Thanks for the input on the sapphires. I'm totally in over my head with selecting colored stones. I've always admired blue sapphires but I think that's something I'll save up for so I can get something really amazing for the right ring.

So you don't think that 6.3 mm will be too small? I'm worried that it will sink too far down into the setting since it's 6 mm on the side and the distance between diagonal prongs is much bigger. I do love that look though and it would certainly open up more options if I can put a round in.

The setting is white gold.

Thoughts on the yellow sapphire?

Sorry for any typos in the post. I am on the iPhone.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Clairitek said:
B.E.G. said:

Is your setting in WG?

Thanks for the input on the sapphires. I'm totally in over my head with selecting colored stones. I've always admired blue sapphires but I think that's something I'll save up for so I can get something really amazing for the right ring.

So you don't think that 6.3 mm will be too small? I'm worried that it will sink too far down into the setting since it's 6 mm on the side and the distance between diagonal prongs is much bigger. I do love that look though and it would certainly open up more options if I can put a round in.

The setting is white gold.

Thoughts on the yellow sapphire?

Sorry for any typos in the post. I am on the iPhone.

That's a good point. I'm no expert on round stones/cushion settings but I might actually go a little bigger, since a good jeweler can build up the prongs a bit (the stone will just sit higher) to make it fit, rather than have a stone be too small. I know I saw a couple possibilities that were on the 6.5-6.8ish side but I am totally blanking right now except this one, which looks gorgeous.

http://gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=268

ETA: I'm not a big fan of that yellow sapphire. It looks pretty brownish to me, and that could look nice in a warmer setting, but I don't think it would go well with WG (I think the WG would bring more of the brown out). I like the namanga garnet since the pink will pop really well in a WG setting, and I like blues, greens as well. Some yellows too, but ones that stay fairly clear of brown undertones (like maybe a grossular garnet?)

You said you were open to different shapes - what about colors? Maybe that would a good way to narrow things down if you decide to have Dan or Peter or someone custom cut something for you? (I read on another thread that Barry isn't taking custom orders right now)

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I see what you mean about the brown undertones now that I look at it that way. I do think I'd prefer a lemony yellow rather than an orangey brown yellow. Probably easier to stick to pinks, blues, and greens.

I wore the ring out today and I'm definitely set on getting something new to put in there. The stone is just a mint green blob in the setting, hardly any life besides some reflection of light (rather than sparkle and fire).

I'll contact Dan and some others to see what they could custom cut for me for a nice price.

I love that garnet but I think its a bit out of my price range.

I think I will need to cut out a few sizes of round pieces of paper later to see what will fit.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
You could do a round. I'd check with the calipers, but you should be able to stick something around 6.5mm or so.

Barry won't be cutting anything custom until September I think. You might shoot him an email to check.

Any chance at us getting pictures of the finished ring? I'm so sorry about this C-tek. I loved that stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results