shape
carat
color
clarity

anyone have any plant identification expertise?

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Hi all,
I inherited a plant (it was left behind in my office by my predecessor) when I got a new job. None of my co-workers know what type of plant it is. I would love to find out so I know better how to take care of it (although it seems pretty tough - it has lived over a year in an office with no natural light and sporadic watering).

this is my first post since the changeover so I'm not sure if my photo will post, but I will try! :cheeky:

100_4138.JPG

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I don't know what it is, but if you take it to a nursery they should be able to advise.

btw- that's a really cute pot!

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
That's a good idea somethingshiny - it's just that I take transit to work (a bus and a train) and was hoping to avoid that awkwardness! :cheeky:
but the plant and I may end up coming home on the bus next week :D

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
(I found the pot in the clearance section of Winner's - score!)

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Looks a lot like a ficus I murdered slowly.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
looks legal to me... :praise:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
almost looks like a China Doll but it could be a type of ficus. take it to a nursery and they'll know for sure.

MoZo

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys for your suggestions - I'm not sure it's a ficus as I thought their leaves were thicker and waxy? these leaves are quite delicate.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
movie zombie said:
almost looks like a China Doll but it could be a type of ficus. take it to a nursery and they'll know for sure.

MoZo

ding ding ding! :appl:
I just googled some photos of China Doll plants and that's 100% what it is! Thanks Movie Zombie!!! You're a genius :bigsmile:
although the site says it likes sun.. apparently I have a plant that's more tolerant of flourescent strip lighting and no windows! :)

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I don't do houseplants any more, outside plants are enough trouble for me!

Take a trip to Golden Acres, just of McKnight Blvd & Deerfoot. They have a large tropical section and I am sure you will be able to find another one to confirm. The tropic guy there is really knowledgable. He will be able to tell you how to look after it.

Just make sure there is a hole in the bottom of the pot. I would stand it on a tray of clay balls/pellets that will absorb water & add some much needed humidity in our dry climate. They will also allow oxygen flow.

Good luck Maevie.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
there are many types of ficus.....i still wouldn't rule it out.

however, take one leaf to the nursery if you don't want to take the whole plant....just to make sure.

plants are like color stones: often times difficult to make a correct identification based on a picture alone....

but i'm sticking with my two guesses!

MoZo

ps i had a china doll tree at one time....and also a ficus tree, both indoor plants that did well with diffused type light.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results