shape
carat
color
clarity

Luteul Phase Defect (LPD) or Low Progesterone Question

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Hello ladies,

For those of you who don't lurk or have already graduated from the TTC thread, I have been TTC passively for 3 months and actively for 5 months with no success. After speaking with my doc, she ordered CD3 and CD21 bloodwork tests to make sure all was well. I have been ovulating without issue everyone of the last 8 months, so I was not particularly concerned with the CD3 test, but it was more of a check the box thing. However, I was more interested in a possible progestrone difficiency, since I haven't gotten KU after 8 months, I have low BBT both pre and post O, I have jagged temps, and I think I had a chemical pregnancy last month.

I recently got all my levels from both tests. My CD3 (FSH, LH, and Estraodil) were all happily in the middle of the normal ranges, so that was good. The CD21 test though was a big more concerning. My progestrone level was 9.9. Now I know that's not horrible since you ideally want it in the 10-15 range, but it's also not great either.

My question is - for any other ladies who had thier progestrone level tests, what were the general ranges (if you don't mind sharing) and for those who have been diagnosed with LPD or low progesterone, at what point did your OB or RE advice you to take progestrone supplements? Has anyone just gone ahead and taken progestrone cream or possibly B6? Thanks for any advice/info you can give!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I'm interested to read the replies, if anybody has insight.

And I wonder is 9.9 that far off 10? Is it a testing on the day type difference like 9 stone 9 pounds not 10 stone, if you get me?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had mine tested when I got pg w/Trapper and had to take Progesterone pills but I don't recall what my number was. I want to say 7..or 4..gah, it was lower than it was supposed to be anyway. I can email the transcriptionist at work and she can check tho. I took them the 1st 2 trimesters I *think* maybe a little longer..my number was back up where it was supposed to be but I kept taking it for a while just to be on the safe side b/c I'd had a m/c earlier.

I didn't like it b/c it made me so incredibly tired. It did eventually go away, but it took a while. One of my coworkers took it too, and she had seen an obgyn b/c she'd had a couple m/c's and she was told the Progesterone supps weren't really a big deal but Dr put her on them anyway to be on the safe side. After my m/c my coworker told me that, so I asked if I should be on them too, "just in case" b/c the pregnancy when she took them, she carried to term.

drk

Brilliant_Rock
The other question is if you ovulated on CD14, because the test should really be done at 7dpo to be valid. If you ovulated earlier or later than that, you won't get the progesterone peak on the bloodwork.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi DCG, At my CD21 test, my progesterone level was 7, which reflected that I was ovulating later than CD14. My OB/GYN would have prescribed progesterone for the following cycle, because I asked for it. She said there is no evidence that it makes any difference at all. I decided to leave her practice (so we never reached the point where she would have prescribed anything) and also visited the RE the following month. He prescribed progesterone (pill form) after my first diagnostic cycle, which was also my first IUI cycle.

Did you doctor indicate whether he/she would prescribe progesterone in your case?

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
ladies,

Thanks for your responses. I have actually scheduled a follow-up appt to speak with the OB about what she recommends I do, before I just start my own diagnosis. I do definitley have my suspicions though.

Drk - I specifically called and asked the OB's office if I should come in later for my CD21 test, since I O'ed on CD16, but they said no, they wanted me on CD21. That 2 day difference may explain the lower number, but definitley not my other issues. I am sure they will want to run another CD21 test this month, so maybe they will do it on a true 7DPO timeline this time. I will let you know.

LV - I am definitely going to ask my OB about prescribing progestrone this month. We'll see if she is game. It's nice to know that it worked in your case though :bigsmile:

Packrat - Thanks for the progesterone experience. I will most definitely deal with the tiredness, so long as I can carry a healthy LO. We'll see what the doc recommends though.

In any of your cases, was their a diagnosis of LPD or just a general progesterone difficiency (or something different altogether)?

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
I dont recall my levels, but I was experiencing a drop that resulted with spotting on CD 24-25. It was one of many issues that may have contributed to my recurrent m/c. While TTC my RE had me start suppositories 4 DPO and discontinue them if I did not get a +HPT by 16DPO. I did not experience any side effects while on the suppositories. I conceived the second month with both my girls and continued the suppositories until week 12. At that time I discontinued all of my hormone support. (I also has low estradiol and had to supplement for that).

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Ponder - Thanks for the info

I did have a question for all the other ladies though:

When did you start take your progesterone supplements? My OB wrote me an Rx for Prometrium (oral Progesterone) and said to take it at 4DPO or 5DPO. I have heard some women who start it right after O, 3DPO or around 5DPO. What did your OB say?

Thanks!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I *think* I took it the day after ovulation, but do not recall exactly. I am sure I wrote about it in the TTC thread. I am going to go back tonight to search for it and will let you know when I find it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results