shape
carat
color
clarity

Poor white light. Comments Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jem_ezell

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone

I am recently about to decide to purchase a diamond online but before I was able to bank wire my money over, I receive a comment which is not making me feel good. Could anyone tell me if it is true as, from the commenter, the the idealscope pic of the diamond (as attached) shows that there is light leakage and poor light reflection (especially for white lights) from the white spots as pointed by the arrows in the pics?

Thanks a lot.

Jeremy

jtdealscope.jpg

Todd07

Shiny_Rock

jem_ezell

Rough_Rock
Hi

I have actually went through all the web sites as mentioned. The HCA result scores 1.4 (Excellent). From the other sites, some of them mentioned pale pink is slight light leakage with reflection. From all the readings, does that mean the only way to ensure that the diamond is gd is by looking at it through ideal scope physically since in one of the sites, it mentioned that pics taken from different cameras, etc, are different?

Regards

Jeremy

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
My understanding is the color is a relative thing. With some pics the base line is a dark red and others a Pink. Thus its how the color varies within the pic that matters more than comparing color between pics. This is a good post and I recall seeing some good info at Gool Old Gold https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/reading-idealscope-images.4136/}

I believe with some basic knowledge and looking at the images, even if taken with different cameras, you can weed out the bad performers. When I compared images for my top stones I couldnt tell the fine nuances but it was easy to spot stones with major problems in symmetry and light return. I simplified my search by picking one vendor that had several stones I liked (white flash). Brian looked over the three choices and talked me through their characteristics. The final choice is now being sent to a local independent appraiser for me to see next week.

Good luck

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That amount of partial leakage probably represents a loss in the marked areas of less than 15%. It depends of course on the strength and directionality of the backlight, but what we see in light intensity is usually far more exaggerated thaan actuality.

It will be a very nice stone.

kevinng

Shiny_Rock
I think it will be a very nice diamond too. From the amount of blacks, nicely spread, this stone will have plenty of fire and scintillation.
1.gif

jem_ezell

Rough_Rock
Hi

I forgot to include the other readings from the HCA too.

Diamond proportions :

Depth : 60.9 %
Table : 56 %
Crown Angle : 34.1
Pavilion Angle : 41
Pavilion Depth : 43.3 %
Crown Depth : 14.7%

HCA:

Light Return : Execellent
Fire : Very Good
Scintillation : Very Good
Spread : Very Good

From some of the readings in this forum, 41 Pavilion angle seems to indicate less brilliance to some buyers. A 40.9 degree Pavillion angle would be much better and add a lot more brilliance(fire). I am just wondering, does a 0.1 degree angle really make such a big difference?

Jeremy

kevinng

Shiny_Rock
The pavilion may be a little steep at 41%, but the pavilion angle is balanced by the crown angle at 34.1%. Typically, for a diamond with pavilion angle of 40.7/40.8%, the ideal crown angle is around 34.3%. But all these are just averages. Ultimately, we look at the idealscope/firescope image to assess the light return... and finally, we look at the actual diamond itself to appreciate its beauty.

I have seen a Destinee at Lee Hwa with the exact crown and pavilion angles as the diamond you featured, and it looked very very nice.

Having said that, the slight light leakage around the centre is a reality. As to how much it affects the beauty of the diamond... I cannot say... because I cannot see the diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results