shape
carat
color
clarity

A jeweler offered me Non-Certified Diamonds - beware???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jewelgal

Shiny_Rock
This jeweler is in business over 20 years and said that he also has GIA diamonds, but i could save money if i buy a non-cert. stone. He explained it as, "that''s if you don''t trust what I''m saying about the stone."

He showed me an EGL stone D color, SI2, 1.33 ct.
cut: premium Price $7500.00

Good price?

Should I write him off, or it''s ok?

What are some "beware" tips?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The main reasons I sell certified diamonds are:

1. it stops other jewellers making false grading claims to cause trouble, and the resultant court cases and angst between us and our much loved customers.

2. most better diamonds get sent right to the labs for grading - so if I visit a manufacturer, maybe only 10% of his production is ungraded at any point in time.

3. it makes it easier to haggle over prices with suppliers if we let the labs make the grading calls.

But we frequently have diamonds for sale that we put into store as say H or VS2 that have lab reports of G or VS1.

There is absolutely no reason why a jeweller must only sell certed diamonds.

jewelgal

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Gary! You cut nut, you! ahhahah
I understand now, thanks for explaining it to me!
I think I will get a GIA cert vs an EGL ? or does it matter?
One jeweler said GIA is the only way to go, why?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
jewelgal,

Every diamond gets graded at more or less every step of the sales chain. This means that the miner graded it, the cutter graded, the importer graded it, etc. At each step they need this information to decide if they want to buy it and later to decide how much they should sell it for. This is true even if the stone has a lab report because, as Garry mentions, people don't always agree with the lab results. I normally count lack of a report as a bad sign but definitely not a deal killer. I would much rather see a stone come from a dealer who will tell you "Our gemologists graded this stone and we guarantee it to be G VS1" than the kind of dealer who says "I don't know anything but the cert says G VS1". I prefer to see both.

If the stone expensive, you can bet that it's been sent to at least one lab for a report and someone didn't like the results. Somehow the report was lost on it's way to your jewelers counter.

Neil Beaty GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
I picked up a stone from a customer who has health issues and needs to sell a diamond. No ties to this person, just had made the rounds and someone sent her to me for another quote. Mine was the highest so far and she said write me a check. It was a fantastic mq, but I don't sell that many mq's. It had no paper, but anyone with half a brain would look at the stone and see that a master cutter had his hands on it and mother nature did a fine job as well. She had it for 35 years, no one had certs then. I called a dealer that likes mq's and has many customers back East where they sell better, I sold it next day, he sold it sight unseen, and the NY dealer sold it to the first customer he showed it to. All because everyone along the way was honest, knew quality, and trusted the person on both sides of the transaction. When the same people call me with a stone that is not certed, I may in turn send it away, but sometimes it is so nice, it will sell long before you wait for the 4 -6 weeks some labs take. Sometimes you test the water, then cert it. Whether it has paper or not, we all know good from bad. Paper helps disputes like was said, but more for uneducated jewelers and consumers so that they can trust who they are buying from.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rhino at goodoldgold.com is the only vendor id buy an uncerted stone over .25 from without it going to a top level appraiser like Dave Atlas or Richard Sherwood or PGS first for "new" diamond prices.
Anyone else it better have an ags or gia cert if it is being sold as new or it is going to the appraiser.
Iv bought some used uncerted diamonds but got a good enough price on them to make it worth it.
No way would I pay new prices on one.

Why would I buy from Rhino aka Jonathan uncerted?
Simple he has the equipment to show me what the specs are.
A stone that is 3vh b-scope 9.8 isee2 with clarity photos and a colormeter readout is going to be an awesome diamond with or with a cert.
Without that level of tech no way without a very large discount or an expert idependant appraisers opinion.

My .15 from wink is uncerted for the simple reason that a cert would have doubled the price of it.
It didnt make sence to do so but on a several thousand dollar purchase it doesnt make sence to go without a cert and the piece of mind that come with it.

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
Hi Jewelgal,

I'm a newbie but it doesn't look like you are getting a killer deal.
rolleyes.gif
Searching for a similar spec using Price Scope shows the below range:

Low - $3kish for EGL cert stones. Inadequate specs to check the cut

High - $7.7kish for GIA cert stones with great specs

Read the Diamond Grading Lab Survey to get a feel for the value of EGL

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-grading-lab-survey.18107/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results