shape
carat
color
clarity

Not wearing your jewellery

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was watching two different television mail order channels today and they both kept saying during the programme that one should wear their jewellery and that there is no point leaving it in a dark drawer to collect dust. They said it one other day, in fact the presenter said that she thought a diamond would get lonely lying in a drawer for months on it own
wacko.gif

Do these channels have feedback that this is what people are doing or is it just a sales ploy so that people wear jewellery and other people admire it and buy some? What is the reasoning behind this?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Dunno...but I agree. There is no point to buying anyhting that you don't want to wear....I would even take that a step further and say there's no point if you don't want to wear it a lot. I am the type of person who is not a collector. I have a few nice things and I wear them constantly. Once, I actually covered my couch with a sheet so that cats wouldn't get fur on it....then I said...well then....why did you buy it and go nuts picking out fabric if it's hidden??? I understand people getting heirlooms that are special and to be protected...but if you can't enjoy something...why buy it...just take a picture of it and look at it from time to time...lol
1.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I am a big believer in wearing/using what you have. I grew up in a house where you weren't "allowed" to sit/walk/do anything in the living room and we ate in the dining room 2X a year. I wasn't even allowed to sit on my bedspread so either it had to be folded down or I sat on the floor. Stupid. Why have a nice house if you don't use it? My theory is buy it, use it, then get a new one when it wears out.

And you can't wear out jewelry...so that makes no sense.
1.gif

kevinng

Shiny_Rock
I make it a point to buy a diamond that my fiance will feel comfortable wearing everyday. It cannot be too big or flashy. Just a nice size that looks good on her finger.

And yes... she has been wearing it everyday since the day I proposed.
2.gif

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
KEVIN, DO TELL!!!!! You can't just sneak a remark like that in without giving us the rest of the story!!! I went looking for it in case I'd missed it somehow, but couldn't find it.

Spill!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for your views, I could not believe it that they think people actually do not wear the jewellery which they buy. There are so many repeat customers, phoning to say their jewellery is ace so I wondered why they thought this was a trait. Then the other mail order channel started doing it so I had to post.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 8/21/2004 12:11:15 PM pyramid wrote:

I was watching two different television mail order channels today and they both kept saying during the programme that one should wear their jewellery and that there is no point leaving it in a dark drawer to collect dust.

----------------

Well... this does seem like an encouragement to wear jewelry... fullstop.

It seems obvious that those who wear jewelry routinely also buy more (to change pieces, for example). So this is just one more sales mantra that sounds good on short term (= "get the jewelry you already own out of that drawer. We are the good guys giving disinterested advice, no need to buy anything.") and expensive on long term (= when you get tired of what you already have and/or want to wear more). Since buyers are not expected to purchase jewelry very often (compared to... toothpaste) adds are often targeterd at buyers long term habits of wearing jewelry. This one seems to be like this, and so is the Right Hand Ring campaign, and the ones run by the Platinum Guild. You get the picture
2.gif

I used to research/make these... and hopefully got immune to adds in the process.
sick.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks valeria101. I think you have hit the nail on the head. I was thinking about it from a different angle as to why they thought people did not wear their jewellery (stupid me).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results