shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP! Need wedding gift ideas for wealthy bride and groom!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello PSers!
I need some help on finding a wedding gift idea for a very wealthy family. I'm going to give a little side information to help with this a little bit, but if you just want to help me find a gift and not read anything I'm looking for something that is quality, nice, hopefully personalized, and budget friendly without being to cheap.

My SO worked for a company and became friends with his boss (the owner) and his family (wife and older daughter). The company was sold after the father passed away, and bought out by a large company and even though that happened, my SO is still friends with the wife (she is an amazing lady) and we have been invited to the wedding by her personally and we feel obligated to go. I have met her once, but haven't met her daughter but my SO has met her and they all have done things together, but the relationship with the daughter isn't the reason we chose to go, but because we love her mother so much. The whole family has a lot of money, the wedding is in a very expensive place, and if we tired to pay for our plates, well, I'm not sure we even could (her mother is paying for the wedding). I know that if we told her that we couldn't afford to come she would tell us we are being silly and would want us there anyways.

The bride and groom already have a child and a house and everything that they need. When I did see the mother of the bride I asked what a good gift idea would be, and she said they already have everything they want/need. There is going to be a large number of people at the wedding and a lot of expensive gifts that we can't even begin to compete with (nor would we try). I would like to get them something nice without going overboard and keeping the costs to as little as possible. I feel horrible for posting this, but like I said, we would have declined if we could have because we are just not in the place right now where that extra few hundred dollars makes a difference to us, where it wouldn't even help them at all, or get them anything that they would expect to get.

So my question is, what can I get them (wedding is on Friday and we are near Toronto) that is nice, fairly inexpensive, that doesn't come across as cheap that they might actually like? I thought about Waterford crystal vases and such, but when I considered it I realized they would probably get many of those, or probably something even more expensive like Tiffany crystal.

Thanks for reading all of this if you did! Thanks in advance! :appl:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: HELP! Need wedding gift ideas for wealthy bride and groo

Hm ... when in financial extremis, go unique. I'd try to find something like, oh, the most gorgeous photo album in the world, and include a note about the memorable occasion of their wedding being a special occasion that will only beget more special occasions.

Alternately, beautiful antiques make for one-of-a-kind presents: since the wedding is coming up soon, that might be a challenge, but etiquette says you have a year, right?

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Circe:
Those are great ideas! What types of antiques should I go for? Or what kind of antiques should I go for? I thought a photo album would be a good idea...but the more I think about it they'll probably be getting a REALLY nice one from their photography package that's apart of the wedding, so I might want to pass on that one. But only because of the wedding it is, I'll keep that in mind for other ones! :appl:

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock

I like the antique idea.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock

This may sound silly, but one of the nicest wedding gifts we got was a really nice picnic basket filled with specialty foods from the region where the guests that got it for us were from. It included a bottle of wine from a local winery, 2 wine glasses, some pasta with some specialty sauce, etc. You could make it really unique, and it could also be useful and fun for them to use together.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock

Does the family practice philanthropy? I wonder if there's a non-profit they believe strongly in that you could make a donation to in their name? Regardless, I would hope that with their large bank account came graciousness and they'd be thankful for any gesture you made in their honor be it a gift, donation or even just a card. Honestly, how many knic-knacks, etc do people need? Especially people who can buy themselves anything?

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock

Sabine said:
This may sound silly, but one of the nicest wedding gifts we got was a really nice picnic basket filled with specialty foods from the region where the guests that got it for us were from. It included a bottle of wine from a local winery, 2 wine glasses, some pasta with some specialty sauce, etc. You could make it really unique, and it could also be useful and fun for them to use together.

Riding on the coattails of this idea, how about something like a cooking class? Those aren't ridiculously expensive, it would be a fun way for them to bond and have a little time together, pick up a recipe or two.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I was thinking of something personalized or engraved. Etzy always has something nice that is memorable for an occasion that can be personalized. Or a personalized crochet blanket, an engraved pewter plate with the wedding date, tickets to a play or event they may like...

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock

Are they going on a honeymoon? If they are, you could get them a dinner at a restaurant there, send a bottle of champagne to the room, order them room service bfast one morning, couples massage at the resort, etc. I like the cooking class idea Nashville suggested too!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I was thinking something handmade from etsy too...or I was wondering maybe some kind of gift for the child since
the parents will be getting lots (dont know if they would like this idea or not but I'm sure the kid would).

tina sparkle

Shiny_Rock

i'm not sure how much you wanted to spend, but for around $100 US you can get a crystal bowl from tiffany and co. (or two champagne glasses for even less). just look at their website you'd be surprised how affordable some of the things are and they always make a great gift.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What about an experience, instead of something physical, as Lanie suggested?

We're going to get my FSIL and her fiance tickets for a Bulgarian wine tasting tour, as they're moving right after the wedding and don't want to cart around lots of stuff..

purselover

Ideal_Rock

I love the picnic basket idea idea it's unique, fun and could be quite affordable! DH and I just bought the neatest one for I think $90, it's a larger wicker basket complete with servings for four, I know I can't wait to use it.

labellavita81

Shiny_Rock

We got married last year and we were given the most amazing gift... that is beyond personal and I bet even the couple that has EVERYTHING will NOT have this.... They call it DNA art... thats right, YOUR DNA on canvas that you can put on your wall. Its beautiful and personal. They send you a kit in the mail, you take a swab and swab the inside of your cheek. Then send it back and in about 5-6 weeks they send you the canvas. It really is unique and as far as I know you can get it in many different colors. We were given the "gift kit", I am pretty sure they are located in Ontario (Ottawa). The website is http://www.dna11.com/gallery_gift.asp (sorry I have no clue how to make it clickable)

I added a pic (or try to?) I don't have a picture of the one in my house on this computer.

Hope this helps you out

EDT - I am not sure how much you wanted to spend - but they start at $200.00.

dna-model-art-projects-2sdkjldsjaslkdjalksdjlkajsdlkajdsfiqewru98.jpg

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock

I'd donate money in their name to a charity.

However, sometimes simple things make the best gifts.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock

Hmm.
Carbon credits?
Donation?
Something personalized?

The most amazing thing I received at my shower was a hand embroidered pillowcase with my new initial

Also like the idea about a kid's gift. When my sister's SIL was getting married to a career criminal she had known for under a month, my sister gave an EZ Bake Oven with the works (to be enjoyed by the bride's 6 year old daughter).

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock

Do you have any special skills? My friends from Germany were great photographers, so they sent us a book they had made of pictures of all of us when we lived together in Ireland.

Do they live in the same area as you do? I know my mom's good friend is very wealthy and lives in NYC, but there are some cool stores she loves in Denver that have things she can't get elsewhere.
On the same lines, do you have access to something other people might not? Another former roommate lives on a vineyard and sent us some of her wine. It was not expensive stuff, but she was the only source we could have of it.

havernell

Brilliant_Rock

Perhaps visit a local pottery studio/store and get some handmade pottery (a nice platter, a group of mugs, a vase, whatever). You can say in the card that you like to support local craftspersons in your area. I have done this many times for friends' birthday gifts, and people always seem to like the unique pieces I give them. Plus, it's not something you can look up the cost of on the Macy's website.

However, I really don't think you should worry about not being able to give an extravagant gift. I'm sure this family realizes that not everyone is as well off as them. They aren't friends with your SO because he can get them nice stuff- they're friends with him because they like him. So really, don't worry about it. When you got married, did you think less of people who gave a smaller gift due to their income constraints? I'm sure you didn't and I'm sure this bride and groom won't either.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like the charitable donation.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock

"A few hundred dollars" is A LOT of money for a wedding gift! Don't assume that you have to give the equivalent of your plate cost. The place was THEIR choice, not yours.

A unique gift that I appreciated was art. If you've been in their house and know the style and colors, maybe you could get them something small, like a small signed giclee or signed/framed print. You can then write something on the back - like, "To our wonderful friends A & B, wishing you a lifetime of happiness together".

Beacon

Ideal_Rock

I guarantee you that you don't need to stress about a gift. I am sure they understand the circumstances and they don't mind one bit. They would be more concerned/stressed if they thought you were worrying about it! The idea of giving a fun class they could do together is neat, as is a charitable donation. A very thoughtfully written card would be so appreciated, IMO. Just enjoy the wedding and celebrate with them!

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock

I really like the idea of giving some sort of intangible gift like cooking classes. Or maybe a couple's massage? Or some sort of excursion depending on where they live.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results