shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all photographers- Need advice for camera purchase

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
My very generous ILs have offered to fund (or partially fund) my purchase of a dSLR camera as a PhD graduation gift. I am SO lost in the digital camera world but I am excited to own something like this. I plan on taking up photography as a hobby now that I will have a lot more free time. I can see truly enjoying it as an outlet for my creative energy once I start my career. I am moving to the SF Bay Area in less than 2 months and I would love something high quality to chronicle the next phase of my life.

Here are some relevant details-

Budget- up to $900 (but if I am spending that much, I would like to get something else in the package besides the camera body)

What I plan to use it for-I can see myself shooting lots of landscapes and then details/macro shots. I LOVE the details and find super close-up, crisp images fascinating. I can imagine shooting people a decent amount as I am finding myself more and more intrigued with photos I see that my friends take of their friends with a dSLR camera. There is so much depth and life in the images that they almost don't seem 2-D. However, we won't know many people out there initially, so I may not have many subjects! So, I guess I would like an all around capable camera but if I had to pick and choose amazing features I would go for the first two.

I am fairly technically savvy. I am not too terrified of a complicated camera. I also plan on taking some photography classes once I get out to CA.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations and advice!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Calling all photographers- Need advice for camera purcha

I have the Pentax K10d and really like it. The Canon SLR's have a good reputation as well. Go to a store and play with them and see which one you like.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I recommend reading the reviews from Ken Rockwell.

Here he lists his recommendations for a serious camera.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm#serious

He recommends the Nikon D5000, which he reviews here:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d5000.htm

Your budget allows for a nice lens so research that carefully.
You might even find a package deal at Costco.

I personally use a Nikon DSLR body with my 30-year old Nikkor lenses and they are razor sharp but do not autofocus.
Consider this option.
Old used lenses are super cheap and I've even seen the fabulous old 105mm F2.8 macro Nikkor lens on Craigslist for only $200 if you plan to do macro work.

If you go the used-lens route first research lens and body compatibility.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

Well, that's a good budget because you can get something very nice for that. I'd suggest looking at Nikon and Lumix (Panasonic).

I'd look at their websites and see what you can get at or just below the $900 price point (something like a Nikon D90).

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock

Thanks for the help everyone! I just saw that you responded and I will take the time to comb through the recommendations shortly.

I was talking to a photographer on Saturday evening and explained my desires in a camera. He said one thing to watch out for in the lower end DSLR's is that sometimes they can be so automatic that when you want to adjust the settings and do things manually you have to battle the automatic functions of the camera. Not sure if I explained that correctly, but hopefully it makes some sense. He is only familiar with Canons but said he was sure that Nikon has something that will fit my needs as well.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock

Hey C-tek! Congrats on being soclosetodone with the dissertation! I don't know if you're open to a secondhand camera, but I bought a Nikon D50 last year from someone who posted on Craigslist, and a killer lens from a different person, and I've been very happy with both. The D50 is a pretty old model but I liked that it has an autofocus control on the camera body, so you can use lenses without autofocus built in (that said, I often switch it to manual anyway, but it's nice to have for snapshots). Even if you want to get a new body, I highly recommend looking into used lenses on CL.

Canon vs. Nikon is really a personal preference -- both are great brands. I'm really itching for a Panasonic 4/3 camera, which uses different technology than a dSLR and is quite a bit smaller, but still takes photos on a large sensor rather than a compact one. But I don't use the cameras I have right now often enough, so no 4/3 for me.

A good site for researching is dpreview.com. I find that the amount of information can be overwhelming, but as long as the camera you're considering has been reviewed by their staff, you can find pictures and descriptions of the camera itself, test photos and comparisons to photos from other, similar cameras, and more. Good luck!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Clairitek said:
He said one thing to watch out for in the lower end DSLR's is that sometimes they can be so automatic that when you want to adjust the settings and do things manually you have to battle the automatic functions of the camera.

I agree with the problem of some low-ends not having the flexibility and control.
This becomes a problem for people who enjoy really getting the most creative freedom from the equipment, but not to those who just want to use it to take snapshots of the kids.

Yeah the Canon vs. Nikon is an old rivalry.
The passion displayed by followers can resemble that seen in politics and religion. :errrr:
Both are very fine.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock

Thoughts on the Canon EOS Rebel T2i? I don't understand the language enough to decode what they are talking about!

Octavia- I will comb through CL as well. I think thats a great idea and I'm glad to hear you had such a good experience. I will also check out that website. Thank you for pointing out the difference between having autofocus on the body vs the lens. Hadn't thought of that yet either.

Kenny- Glad to know I'm not off my rocker with not wanting something that is overly automatic. I do want some creative freedom with the camera so I think something that offers manual adjustment is the way to go for me.

cemrn

Brilliant_Rock

I agree with Kenny to check out Ken Rockwell 's site. I bought the Nikon D5000 new and bought 2 Nikon refurbished lenses. I just took a photography class and it seems this camera can do a lot! I recommend getting vibration reduction (VR) lens for the camera. This is an expensive hobby that could cut into my jewelry budget. Next on my wishlist are a lightweight tripod and an external flash unit

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Clairitek said:
Thoughts on the Canon EOS Rebel T2i?
excellent camera, great video mode
I almost bought one but got a p&s instead to take biking.

If you have someone locally that will help you then get the same brand they shoot is a good idea.

Canon vs Nikon
Nikon - better bodies in the low to mid range for stills.
Canon - better lens selection, does what it needs to do. Awesome video mode on many models.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results