shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA cert questions

LollyBear

Brilliant_Rock
Are all GIA diamonds laser inscribed?
If so, what is the best way to get the ID from the diamond? Will a jewelry store do it for me?
How do I get a copy of the cert once I have the ID?

TIA

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
No.

Depending on the type of report.

Stones that come with the Diamond Quality Dossier type report will always have the GIA report number inscribed. The other type of report, the Diamond Quality Report, with a inclusion plot, will not have one unless the vendor who send it to be graded requested it, as there is a fee involved, and if so a comment will be posted on the report.

Most jewelers should have a loupe or microscope to see if the inscription.

You should have the GIA report when you got the stone.

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
StephensBride said:
Are all GIA diamonds laser inscribed?
If so, what is the best way to get the ID from the diamond? Will a jewelry store do it for me?
How do I get a copy of the cert once I have the ID?
TIA

The vast majority of lab graded diamonds are not laser inscribed. Lab reports issued for diamonds which are inscribed will reference the inscription which is located along the girdle edge of the diamond; current GIA lab reports reference a "laser inscription registry" which is located in the upper section of the lab report; other laboratories and older GIA lab reports often mention the inscription within the "comments" section of the report.

Regardless of whether a diamond is inscribed or not, you should always use the characteristics of a diamond (the inclusions, measurements, fluorescence level, etc.) to verify that a diamond matches the lab report provided. Of course the jeweler you are working with should be able to assist you with determining that a diamond matches the lab report, however it is always a good idea to have the diamond verified by an independent Gemologist, a list of appraisers is available here on PS within the resources menu option.

If you are considering a diamond which is not inscribed and would like to have it inscribed, the diamond can be sent back to the lab which originally graded the diamond for inscription; there are also third party companies which provide laser inscription services.

You may verify the characteristics of a diamond as described on lab reports as follows:
AGS http://www.agslab.com/verify_diamond_grading_report.php
GIA http://www2.gia.edu/reportcheck/index.cfm
HRD http://www.hrdantwerplink.be/

I'm sure similar services are available from other laboratories, these are just the ones which I'm immediately familiar with.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
One important thing to remember- If you have a third party laser inscribe a stone, it would invalidate any existing GIA report. This makes having GIA do it far more practical

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results