shape
carat
color
clarity

1950s crystal necklace

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone-I have a crystal necklace that was my grandmother's, I believe she purchased it in the 1950s. One of the stones is missing and I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get it repaired (or cleaned...or how to clean it)...or should I just leave it (the missing stone is in the back). Any advice/opinions are very welcomed! I also have matching earrings that screw on...I'm not sure that I would ever wear them (or the necklace...but it is pretty! maybe if it matches my wedding dress :) )

pics
IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a stunning piece and how wonderful that you inherited it! :appl:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. Elegant. Looks great on your neck.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is really pretty! To replace the stone, I'd either find a local vendor specializing in old costume jewelry - Trifari, Boucher, and the like - and ask them, or (being impatient), I'd haunt local flea markets/eBay and find a damaged piece with similar stones that I could yoink replacements from. It's a lovely heirloom - wear it with joy!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
thanks guys!

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Great design.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Rhinestone Rosie does really absolutely perfect costume jewelry repair. She's based out of Seattle on Queen Anne Hill but can do stuff via mail. She should come up if you google her. She can match just about *anything*. Alternatively, if you want to do it yourself, try http://www.costumejewelrysupplies.com/, they have a ginormous inventory of vintage and new Swarovski rhinestones (the new ones match the vintage just fine). The glue I would recommend is the hypotube cement, it doesn't yellow. If they're prong set that same website has a tutorial on how to replace a prong set rhinestone I believe.

Do *not* get it wet if the stones have foil backing, which it looks like they do but is hard to tell from the pics. To clean a dirty rhinestone necklace, get a soft toothbrush and dampen it with soapy water. Then flick it until you don't see water spraying from it anymore- should be a tiny bit damp but not wet. Brush it carefully with the damp toothbrush. Then put it upside-down to dry. You can clean it with a soft cloth after wearing and that helps it from getting grubby in the future. Basically moisture is the enemy of rhinestones and will ruin the backing.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
LittleGreyKitten thanks so much!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results