shape
carat
color
clarity

1/2 Eternity Band ~Give Me the Lowdown, Please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Carmel

Shiny_Rock
I’m on a mission to have a ½ eternity band custom made since I have not been able to locate one already in existence that suits my taste. I have been able to determine that I’d like the ring to encompass about 9 to 11 .07 or .08 melee diamonds, which should be just enough to reach the curve of my finger and appear as a complete eternity band. I’m also considering either all 14K yellow gold (on which the prongs can be rhodium plated or left as yellow gold), or blending 14K yellow gold on the shank of the ring with 14K white gold on the prong section (which would probably also be rhodium plated). The setting style I prefer is shared prong.

I located a very highly regarded and respected local jeweler who I spent some time with today covering the particulars of this project. I left with a very confident feeling about the shop, but I need some opinions – and may even take some advice - from those of you out there who can give me some food for thought.

Here are the facts, as I know them:

Price quoted for 14K yellow gold ring including 9 to 11 .07 carat uncertified machine-cut melee diamonds in the F-G and SI1 range: $650 with or without rhodium plating on the prong section.

The price would increase to $750 if I chose to blend 14K yellow gold on the shank with 14K white gold on the prong section.

The price was quoted as an entire project, vs. a breakdown of individual components (i.e., the cost of the designing and wax mold, the cost of the melee stones individually, the cost to rhodium plate, etc.).

Per their store policy: “All un-certified stones are independently graded by GIA certified appraisers; providing the client with an unbiased value of the stone.” And, FYI – they use Pacific Gem Lab (which coincidentally was highly recommended to me on this forum when I inquired about a week ago), or any independent appraiser of my choosing. I forgot to inquire, however, whether there was a cost to me for this “grading.”

The custom process includes working with their in-house designer and includes a wax mold for my approval. All work is completed in-house, with a turn around time of approximately 7-10 days.

Now here are my questions, as I know them (that’s supposed to be kind of funny):

How does the price sound?
Is it acceptable to be quoted for the entire project vs. being provided a breakdown?
Is it common practice to use “machine-cut” melee diamonds in this type of ring?
Are “machine-cut” stones of this size considered well-cut stones, or do I hold out for hand-cut stones?
I want sparkle, sparkle, sparkle – will I get that from machine-cut melee diamonds?
How involved should I be with selecting the melee stones (or would I be splitting hairs)?
What are the pros and cons of using all yellow gold vs. two-tone yellow/white gold?

Well, that about covers it. Because it seems too easy, I’m a little bit anxious about this. ANY input will be considered useful to me – so thanks in advance!

Carmel

Shiny_Rock
I'm sorry my post is so wordy. I just would like to know more about what to expect with melee stones. Thanks ~

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
The price quoted seems pretty good if they are actually making it. Some places just find it in a catalog. Machine cut mellee is neither good nor bad, same as hand cut mellee. Still don't know how good the cutting is. Just like Burma rubies, could be $1 per ct or $1 million from the same mine. The policy of GIA certified appraisers is interesting since GIA does not certify appraisers. A gemologist is to an appraiser as a carpet layer is to an house builder. Just the first of many steps. Still sounds like you found a pretty good deal with an out if you have it checked out and it is not up to what you were told. Try a site called findmyjeweler.com to see if they have checked out your area for jewelers.
Good luck.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
The policy of GIA certified appraisers is interesting since GIA does
not certify appraisers. A gemologist is to an appraiser as a carpet
layer is to an house builder.
-----------

Great analogy...

Carmel

Shiny_Rock
OK, it's nice to get some action on this concern of mine. Thanks.

Now then, regarding “GIA certified appraisers,” the verbiage used could just be a syntax error – although I think that reputable businesses should have those things checked out before it goes to printing!

Back to the melee stone question – Are there well-cut and not so well-cut melee (whatever the heck that means in the first place…)? What do I ask about the melee stones? Do I say, “Are these considered ideal cut?” and then have them choke back words like “You moron, there is no such thing as ideal cut melee – so quit trying to sound like you know something.”

You get the picture…I just want to know what I should be looking for.

Thanks, Carmel

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Carmel,

This all sounds like a pretty good deal. F-G and SI1 range is fine melee as long as 'SI1 range' doesn't extend below SI2. PGL will surely be charging for their services but their fee is built into the price. If you want to use an outside appraiser, I'm confident that you will be responsible for the charges.

Not only does GIA not certify appraisers, they don't even certify gemologists! Jewelers mess this one up all the time in their advertisements so I wouldn't hold it too much against them. I like the carpet comment though.

Machine cut melee is actually usually pretty well cut but I've never heard the term ideal used to describe it. You can pretty much tell by looking if it's good material. If you're concerned, have them show you the parcel of stones before they are set and see if you like them. They should be identical in size and shape, bright, and well matched to each other. No inclusions should be eye visible and there should be no visible coloration. If you are worried about it, by all means you should feel free to get involved. Your own contributions are part of what makes a custom piece of jewelry special.
21.gif

I would suggest you spring for the extra $100 to get the two tone version instead of the rhodium plating. It holds up better and white gold holds the stones better. Actually, get it plated anyway because rhodium adds a bright white look that shows off the stones nicely..

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

wanderlost

Shiny_Rock
I hate to be disruptive.... but really have to jump in on a little semantics question here...

What is the (implied) meaning of a "1/2 Eternity Band"?

obviously the timeframe is longer than a 3 stone ring.... but I'm having a hard time with figuring this one out...
21.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/18/2004 10:05:55 PM wanderlost wrote:

What is the (implied) meaning of a '1/2 Eternity Band'?
21.gif
----------------

My anniversary band only goes around half way. It's not an eternity ring because I wasn't sure I wanted to commit for that long.

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
More info on machine cut mellee. (not promoting Leonid) But I carry 8 grades of mellee. My two middle grades happen to be machine cut in Thailand. I buy them because of price for the quality compared to same quality from other places, I could not care less if they were machine cut or not. They are faily well mathced but if we do channel set or pave, I will still sort out the odd sizes. A parcel of .02ct stones may have some that weigh a hair one way or another, and measure a hair off. For some projects, close enough. FOr other projects or contests, all will match exactly. (or for my engineer customers who want things down to the 1/ 1000th as if that was possible) We had one guy bring a ring back that was 8.01 millimeter and he wanted it 8mm. I told him to clap his hands a couple times with it on.

Carmel

Shiny_Rock
You guys are cracking me up! I never thought how stupid it sounds...calling it a half-eternity band. No wonder I can't find a jeweler to work with! I must get the idiot-of-the-day award after I leave these places. What a clown!

reena

Ideal_Rock
yes--and in that case couldn't one argue that they should be the same price?
2.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Doh, I just ordered an eternity band. Didn't know I could get it for half price.

Interesting point Neil. If infinity is a scientific mathematical definition one could consider eternity to be a seemingly endless or immeasurable time as defined in Webster's. I suppose it would subject to the individual's perception. Jennifer Lopez's definition of eternity could be two weeks, much shorter than mine and I'm guessing yours so she should have a ring with less diamonds? Hmm, that math doesn't compute.

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Typical pricescope...after a few posts all hell breaks loose!

You guys crack me up w/ this eternity/infinity stuff
1.gif

Carmel

Shiny_Rock
Wow, I thought this post was DOA when I first submitted it. Now it’s a Hot Topic?

Well, I could call it an “Until Something Better Comes Along” band (referring to the potential ring upgrade down the road, of course, - not the husband).

Other ideas?

Carmel

Shiny_Rock
So, seriously, there seems to be conflicting reports here. One guy says that there are numerous “grades” of melee. Another guy says that machine cut is pretty well cut and so I get the impression that it’s all about the same.

I’ll believe almost anything, but which one is it?

And BTW, thanks to the aforementioned “guys” for their input – and also to the rest of you by relieving some of my stress about this project by making me absolutely howl!

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Ohh sorry Carmel, back to the ring

I think the quote you got is very reasonable especially if there is no differnece in price for 9 to 11 stones. For full cut melee of that size in VS F/G grade expect to pay $700 to $1000 per carat. My personal view is that as long as they are full cut stones with reasonably even tables and depth, you won't see a difference I bought some Ideal Cut melee from GOG and when you talk about 2 or 3 mm stones it's really hard to see anything but brilliance.

Carmel

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, noobie - that's sound like a reasonable opinion.

And besides…if I’m going to be tied to my husband for half-an-eternity, then I better have a secret decoder ring to prove it, don’t ya think?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Carmel,

I don't think we're as far apart as it sounds. I agree with Scott that it isn't the "machine cut" characteristic that makes for good or bad melee. The description supplied by your jeweler - "machine cut, F-G and SI1 range" could easily contain very nice stones. The decision is based on the examination of the stones themselves, either by the jeweler or by you. If you are concerned, most jewelers will allow you to participate in this decision or will allow you to hire an independent appraiser to assist you.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA

wanderlost

Shiny_Rock
you know... in yhe spirit of 'going the extra mile'.... and with this band only having half the amount of diamonds that an eternity band has.... yet because 1/2 of eternity is eternity.... I conclude that you can be twice as picky with your melees and should get all EightStars!
1.gif

THAT would be something to see...

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Noobie,

Perhaps it’s just that two weeks with Jennifer Lopez would seem like an eternity.

Eternity was once explained to me as the length of time it would be necessary to wait before Maureen Lubidsky would agree to go on a date with me. I suspect that the same rule would apply to my chances with Ms. Lopez.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA

Carmel

Shiny_Rock
OMG I can't stop laughing! I can't even think! You guys are keeping me chained to this computer because I can't wait to see the next absurd remark!

It'll be a stinking eternity before I ever get this ring!

Hey, also I was wondering denverappraiser...are your office staff known as Assistant DA's? I kill me! I don't know why I thought that was funny. I'm just giddy today. Sorry.

Carmel

Shiny_Rock
~ And if my husband comes home for lunch one more time and sees me still sitting in my robe at the computer, I can kiss this project off for the rest of eternity ~

OK - I'll try to be serious. I know I'm taking advantage of the system. Sorry leonid
rolleyes.gif
~

noobie

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 8/19/2004 1:37:17 PM denverappraiser wrote:

Eternity was once explained to me as the length of time it would be necessary to wait before Maureen Lubidsky would agree to go on a date with me. I suspect that the same rule would apply to my chances with Ms. Lopez.

----------------
Yes maybe so, but would you have had to buy Maureen Lubidsky a pink diamond ring?

Carmel

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 8/19/2004 1:37:17 PM denverappraiser wrote:

Eternity was once explained to me as the length of time it would be necessary to wait before Maureen Lubidsky would agree to go on a date with me.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver----------------

What now?…What about Monica Lewinsky?

Huh, well I heard she's designing handbags now.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Carmel,

Well, actually I haven't seen or heard from Maureen in over 25 years. I'm sure she has no idea that she is now world famous on Pricescope. This may be her shining moment of fame. Since Monica has the handbag gig sewn up, perhaps she could get a contract with one of the PS vendors endorsing 1/2 eternity rings.

Much more importantly, I'm afraid that I may now need to buy my lovely wife Helen a 1/2 eternity ring (If she ever reads this thread).
cry.gif

Neil Beaty, GG ISA

Carmel

Shiny_Rock
Neil ~

Do you just want to get a whole one and we'll split it?

~ Carmel

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hmm. Better not. We're getting into some serious quantum physics here and the universe may be in danger. I'm already in trouble. If I brought about the end of the universe as we know it, I'm sure it would be worse.

Neil Beaty, GG ISAIndependent Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results