shape
carat
color
clarity

Confused!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fred77

Rough_Rock
I am looking at 2 princess cut diamonds and need to make a decision. I''ve seen both and both seem like good diamonds. I''ve done the gemappraisers.com thing and both get a 2B grading. Both come with EGL-US certs with the following:

1st diamond:

square modified brilliant (why it''s called this i have no idea?)
6.44x6.41x4.18

depth 65.2
table: 68
crown: 13.7
pavilion: 45.7
girdle: thin to very thick polished (the only thing that hurts this cut)
culet: none

polish: very good
symmetry: good
grade: SI1
color: F

flourescence: none

2nd diamond:

princess
6.61x6.52x4.32

depth: 66.3
table: 76
crown: 7.1
pavilion: 51.7
girdle: thin to thick polished

culet: none

polish: good
symmetry: good

grade: SI2
color: F

fluorescence: none

The 1st diamond is 1k more than the 2nd one. The 2nd actually appeared to have more brillance. Can anyone give me any insight? Thanks!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
On the stone with the large table...would fire be sacrificed? dunno. That crown height is pretty bad man. The stone HAS to suffer somehow.

Despite #1 being "2B" it looks great. A grade doesn't mean a good stone. Dave posted those charts for us as a helpful guide. Ok- maybe the girdle is a little thick or a little thin...it will have no impact on brilliance...maybe symmetry is good...but the crown height look great. I'd def call it in!!!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I WAS going to suggest #1, but the price differential and the brilliancy issues are both important. If the second one looks better, then that makes a lot of sense. You save money and get a nice diamond.....perfect. The fact that both get 2B grades means nothing of substance is wrong with either diamond in terms of showing their size or durability.

fred77

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice guys! The only other issue I had with the 1st one is the top view pic that's on the EGL cert. I counted 4 less facets on the 1st diamond....is this why it's called a square modified brilliant instead of a princess? The 2nd one shows 4 more on the top view, which looks like the "typical" princess cut. Could this be affecting the brillance?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
do both the si1 and si2 satisfy your "eye clean" tolerance level?
1.gif

fred77

Rough_Rock
i could see (naked eye) the inclusion on the SI2 if i turned it upside down, which didn't make me feel too good. I could see anything on the SI1.

any thoughts on my previous post?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results