shape
carat
color
clarity

Pros & Cons of buying a diamond online??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jewelgal

Shiny_Rock
I recently looked at posts and pics of whiteflash rings.
very beautiful! i checked out a few places in ri and nyc
and they are expensive, i assume they are paying for
overhead? that''s why they charge more,, but i thought in
the NYC diamond district i would get a better deal is all.

I looked at diamonds in my price range on whiteflash (7200 roughly) and they are very nice and large for the money. I would want to set it in a different setting than what they offer, how does that work?

Do you find the diamond first? or the setting?(since it''s so hard to find one i love)
wavey.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Diamond first...b/c the setting might depend on the shape of diamond and also, you can't really buy it until you know the size of the stone....I would not hesitate to buy from whiteflash. I personally, love Good Old Gold b/c you have all that analysis right there for you. There is nothing left to the imagination. If you chose whiteflash, I'd buy the stone first. You can look around for settings and then when you buy one, I'd sent it to WF to have them set it. They also have a custom design service!
1.gif
GOG also offers tons of settings online.. Best of luck to ya!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
The only negative I can perceive is not being to see the stone before buying but this is easily remedied by doing some homework and knowing what you like. Plus, many vendors have periods for exmaination/acceptance during which you can return the dimaond if not satisfied.

Be careful about the NYC DD... If you REALLY know what you are doing and know how to be tough, you may find a good stone/deal there. However, it is a good place to see a million types of setting, shapes, etc., to narrow down what you like. You can also look at various stones for clarity and color tolerances. I like to think I have above-average knowledge about diamonds but even i get "weak' minded whenever I troll through 47th street...it's mesmerizing and you don't know what/whom to trust believe.
twirl.gif

jewelgal

Shiny_Rock
I just went to whiteflash and gee there is a very large selection, how on earth would i choose? esp. w/o seeing in person! help!

i saw a 2.03 carat for only 8500, g color.
but i don't know if it is white enough

i also don't know the measurements to put into the cut advisor.

QUESTION:
What is the process of selecting a diamond online???

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is nothing about a NYC address that makes a dealer either better or worse than a dealer located somewhere else. What makes one dealer better is the quality of the products, the quality of the service, and/or the prices. For customers who live in NYC, there's something to be said for choosing a local dealer and I would recommend the usual sorts of cautions when choosing who you want to patronize. For everyone else, I don't think there is any benefit whatsoever to shopping there unless you simply like the 'feel' of the diamond district.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Go to the "Knowledge" section of this site (Link on top of homepage) and read through all of the tutorial information on cut, color, clarity, etc.

Go to local stores and look at stones in differnt color ranges to get a feel of what they look like to your eye. Same should be done for clarity.

At this point, WF or one of the other vendors can work with you more successfully.

A G is a nice color and a good value. But that's my opinion. i own an H and love it. YOU have to know what YOU like, then the experts can work with you to achieve a very good result.

I could write a list of specs that I think are great but that's not going to help you.
1.gif

As for a NYC address, the only thing "special" about it is that you may be able to get over there in person...they are not "better" for any reason just geographically accessible. GOG is in Long Island and has a stellar reputation and beautiful diamonds...

reena

Ideal_Rock
jewelgal, was that 2.03c a cushion or a RB?

with respect to cushions, the consensus around here seems to be (and i wholeheartedly agree) that you need to see them in person in order to judge them.

you are fortunate enough to be in the NYC area so there are a number of great local vendors (pricescope or otherwise) that you can choose from. since that would enable you to go in and see the stone with your own eyes, that's what i would do if i were you. (at least if you're getting a cushion. a RB may be a different story.)

JC

Shiny_Rock
jewelgal,

Here are just a few suggestions.

1. If you're looking for a diamond over 1/2ct, try to stick with only
diamonds graded by GIA. GIA is the most respected lab in the world and is
your guarantee of a properly graded diamond.
2. Only work with online vendors that provide 100% refunds if you're
dissatisfied. That means you get back all your shipping costs, credit card
charges and purchase amount. Our company (unlike most others) will even
refund your RETURN shipping costs!
3. Shop around. Although the "cheapest" price isn't always the best value,
look for online vendors who offer better than average discounts.
4. Get your purchase appraised! Independent appraisers are best, since
they don't have a bias nor do they care whether or not you bought the
diamond over the internet. If you can't find an independent appraiser in
your area than give the online vendor a call and they will see if one of their
previous customers near you
can make a recommendation.
5. Lastly, enjoy yourself! Shopping for a diamond should be fun. While
it's important to get a diamond education by reading diamond tips, spend
some time looking at diamonds locally. Also don't be afraid to call an online vendor and ask
for some advice on the phone!

Best wishes,

wavey.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results