shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you guys think....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cali6869

Rough_Rock
Im having such a hard time finding the perfect setting... I''ve looked everywhere... and all of them are beautiful... but Im afraid of making a mistake that will cost me $$$$.
Do you guys think Im better of putting the stone on a simple setting and then having her shop for the setting?

reena

Ideal_Rock
I totally understand your frustration.

What happened to the $2700 michael b pave?

cali6869

Rough_Rock
Well I didnt get the chance to go to Joe escobars during the weekend.... I went to other 3 jewelrs and in one of them the Tacori sales rep was there with all the Tacori line.... I really liked the Tacori rings... but by the time I saw the one Liked, I was in for like around 3-4k for setting plus wedding band.... so some lady recomend me to just buy a simple setting and have her come in and pick the setting her self... I think that is more common sense... I would have to make a 4k mistake...

reena

Ideal_Rock
that's definitely an option, and ive seen the pros and cons of doing it discussed in other posts.

as i recall, the discussion ran that the biggest pro is what you mentioned: she knows best what she wants, so you wont risk wasting money or picking the wrong thing.

i think the "cons" discussed were that (1)you'd have to buy what is essentially a "throwaway" setting, which might seem like a waste, and (2)that she might prefer to be able to show people her completed ring right after you get engaged (which of course is the time when people ask to see the ring most).

i think that you should do what you feel most comfortable with. however, as i recall, she pretty much told you what her "favorite" setting is--the MB pave--so i think you would be 100% safe going with that setting (or a less expensive replica) if you wished. once you start venturing out into different types of settings, though, i agree with you that it gets a little "riskier".
9.gif

cali6869

Rough_Rock
actually I dont know which one she would really like... we have never gone jewelry shopping... we have only look at rings through the window of a store once.... so I dont really know.
Im scared though....

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Is there a way you can trick her into going jewelry shopping with you? I'm just thinking that you could say you need to look at watches for you or help your dad find a present for your mom or grandma or someone, and then see what ring settings she gravitates to while you're in the store. Actually, you could just go into the jewelry store and have them REPLACE the battery in your watch so you'd have time to wander around with her. If that's not an option, I suggest going with a simple setting that could be used later for a gemstone (maybe her birthstone) or something. I think the site awesomegems.com has some great deals on nice stones, so you could always get a stone for the original setting if she decides she does want a different setting.

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
Cali,

I think giving her a ring with a temporary setting is a great idea. She is going to have so much fun picking out her own setting! I know when I saw all the Tacoris I went a little crazy before I could even pick my favorite, and I doubt that my boyfriend would have picked the same one. I'm sure it would have still been gorgeous, but this way I am definitely getting my absolute favorite!

reena

Ideal_Rock
oh, sorry cali--for some reason i thought you said she told you that that michael b was your favorite. i must be going loony.
wacko.gif

in that case, i would say you either need to find out exactly what she wants--either by going through a friend, "tricking" her (in a nice way) into going into a jewelry store with you like others suggested, or--my favorite option--just asking her. if you want this to be a total surprise though, i guess the latter won't work. if you aren't able to get an idea of what she has in mind through any of those avenues (or if she herself doesn't really know, as i didn't until i started really looking), then i agree with the others who say put it in a simple setting and let her pick. settings are just SUCH a matter of taste, so i think she'd be happiest with something that meets her vision of the ideal.

out of curiosity, did you pick a stone yet? what shape?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
While Id have preferred my finished ring upfront, Im glad he proposed with a temporary. It let me be involved with the whole thing. We are doing mine in stages. Other than the engraving on the band, its done. It was a step by step process. I agree with the whole tricking her into looking thing but be careful about it.
1.gif

bling

Shiny_Rock
If you dont think she would mind, i think presenting her a ring with a temporary setting would be such a great idea! then the two of you could go shopping together for her dream setting..and who knows..she may like the plain classic tiffany like setting! i got to choose my setting, and the diamond for that matter, but he knew and accepted thats what would make me happy..so it all worked out! good luck, and dont stress..its the meaning and gesture behind it..thats what shell "see"...you cant go wrong either way!
love.gif
appl.gif

JimDiamond

Shiny_Rock
You've gotten some great advice already. I seriously considered a temporary setting myself when I proposed. There was one reason I decided against it in the end that hasn't been mentioned yet. In my case, which may be rare I don't know, I knew that THE RING that I proposed with would have such sentimental value to my girlfriend that she would never let me change the setting for another. So I knew I had to pick the "perfect" setting the first time. So I kept looking at settings and asking my female coworkers until I got a great setting. But for you as long as your girlfriend is not hyper-sentimental the temporary could work great. Researchers idea of using the temporary setting for a birthstone or something later is great too.

cali6869

Rough_Rock
thannk you guys for all your help...
I think Im sticking with getting a simple tiffany setting... and then we can shop together for her ring... I think she will love it........
Where can I find simple settings? or should I just go to my local jewelr?

cali6869

Rough_Rock
btw yea I got the stone is a round brilliant

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results