shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
....and speaking of big jewels, the pearls in this necklace (bigger pic above also) must be around 15 mm. Bet they're natural pearls too. Love the necklace, not to mention the opulence.

9lelg6w9wgi7gw761.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak said:
P.S. Bobby -- Looks like she's wearing the 3-row necklace in this photo (larger above)......

Yes, that's the same necklace. I think it was a particular favourite of hers together with the diamond tiara from the photo and I can see why. ;-) Speaking of 3 row diamond necklaces, however, I prefer the one often worn by Elizabeth II.

Here's the closest photo of the necklace I have. The pear-shaped diamond motifs are visible here. Note that the (then) Queen's ears aren't pierced. I wonder if she did that at a later stage or used clip earrings only?

107lkjlkm.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak said:
Bobby, you're right about the sunburst brooch -- can't remember where I picked up the bit about its being a wedding gift from Bertie; a website somewhere. A lesson not to rattle stuff off without checking first!

--- Laurie

No worries, Laurie, especially whan this is a piece not much known. And of course we all make mistakes from time to time. Perhaps the author confused the Sunburst brooch with the pearl and diamond brooch (later favoured by Queen Mary), part of a set with a necklace (a favourite of QEQM) and earrings (used by EII).

Bobby

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all of your posts. I rarely participate, but totally enjoy all the history and pictures. There is no more beautiful women to me then Princess Grace of Monaco. Too bad her daughters, especially the younger one, don't share her taste!

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav said:
BTW, we've discussed this cockade before. The brooch/stomacher is clearly visible on this photo of Queen Alexandra from the 1902 Coronation in the center of her bodice:

Welcome back Bobby!!!! :wavey:

This is such a gorgeous photo of Alexandra.....thank you for posting it!!!!

Lori

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone have photos of Queen Noor of Jordan? She's another American contribution to royalty!

Lori

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria said:
Imdanny said:
I'm sorry, LadyMaria, but this seems totally off topic. It's not about royal jewels. It's not even about royals. I'm kind of confused about how we got so far off topic in this thread. I'm not trying to be a purist or anything but I really have no interest in talking about Chelsea's wedding.

Since we don't have royalty in the USA, I thought this was the closest thing we would have to an American "royal" wedding. My post did discuss the jewels she wore (namely the belt, earrings, and if it had looked better with a necklace). My apologies for any offense.

Hi MJ!

Thank you for posting that photo of Chelsea and her jewelry. We don't have American royalty and her wedding was the closest thing we've had since Jenna Bush's wedding. :Up_to_something:

Lori

dianab

Rough_Rock
Thanks you all that post the pix of Soraya.
prince.of.preslav said:
I forgot to say that Farah has also worn the emerald and diamond scroll tiara from Soraya&Reza's wedding at the Silver wedding celabrations of Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard. I have a photo if anyone is interested.

PLEASE Bobby, post everything/anything about Soraya, Fawzia & Farrah.

I know the story of Soraya, but not much about Fawzia & Farrah, why they are/were also ill-fated?

Diana

GENTE19611159668536.jpg

GENTE1961n1159668501.jpg

GENTE19621159668605.jpg

gente9310.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak said:
Danny, you have a point; we did get off the track there on Diana. But Maria's right too -- otherwise (and with some reason) all American jewels would be off-topic since we have no legitimate royalty, only the pretend variety. I didn't find her post a problem; in fact it dealt with the very things I thought when I first saw that photo -- the belt was delicious & possibly not fake but borrowed, as even genuine Royals do, and whether her jewelry was right or not is an ok subject with me. I do agree that a yabberyabber about the wedding itself isn't the subject here -- and that hasn't happened. If it does, squawk!

I'm only asking that we keep the thread on topic- royal jewels. That's just my personal opinion. If some of you want to turn this thread into a thread to post about royals, like other forums that are on the internet for this purpose, then I guess go ahead. It's not like I'm going to report anyone's post for being off topic or anything. I'm only saying that pages of photos of royals and discussions of royals isn't why this thread was started and is off topic. I don't mean any personal offense to anyone. This is just how I feel about it.

Danny

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
This has been posted before but I posted it in the pear lovers thread so I'll post it here.

star-ofs-africa-cullinan-i.jpg

Cullinan I

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny said:
I'm only asking that we keep the thread on topic- royal jewels. That's just my personal opinion. If some of you want to turn this thread into a thread to post about royals, like other forums that are on the internet for this purpose, then I guess go ahead. It's not like I'm going to report anyone's post for being off topic or anything. I'm only saying that pages of photos of royals and discussions of royals isn't why this thread was started and is off topic. I don't mean any personal offense to anyone. This is just how I feel about it.

Danny

Magnificent pic of Cullinan I, Danny. I could stare at that for hours. Thanks.

Of course you didn't offend anybody! And thinking about it, I agree with your outlook. You've been here a lot longer than I have & contribute more valuable info than I do. What attracts me to this thread is seeing some of the most beautiful & skillfully crafted pieces ever created. You're correct that photos of someone with, say, their new baby, etc., belong in a general royal topic forum. If it doesn't have to do with gems, it ought to be somewhere else. The bit on Princess Victoria's wedding was what I like to see -- photos of the guests & family wearing their jewelry -- and discussion of them. I learn a lot. Looking back at the beginning of the thread, on the other hand, I noticed there has always been some discussion of the owners of certain pieces, as their history is part of the story. For me, here, it needs to be about the gems primarily, not about royalty in general. That's only my opinion & anybody is welcome to disagree & I'll pipe down.

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
dianab said:
Thanks you all that post the pix of Soraya.
prince.of.preslav said:
I forgot to say that Farah has also worn the emerald and diamond scroll tiara from Soraya&Reza's wedding at the Silver wedding celabrations of Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard. I have a photo if anyone is interested.

PLEASE Bobby, post everything/anything about Soraya, Fawzia & Farrah.

I know the story of Soraya, but not much about Fawzia & Farrah, why they are/were also ill-fated?

Diana

Hi Diana! If you're interested in Soraya there's an interesting Italian film in 2 parts about her. It was filmed (mainly) in Bulgaria and Anna Valle is in the main role.

Ill-fated - As you know, the main goal for the Shah was to have a son - an heir to the Peacock Throne. That's the only reason why he married three times - firstly to the Egyptian princess Fawzia, then to Soraya Esfandiary-Bakhtiari and last to Farah Diba. His first wife gave birth to a girl - Princess Shahnaz - and that was the reason for their divorce. Later in life, the impovrished Princess and her daughter had to sell their jewels. Then comes Soraya - Reza Pahlavi is mad about her and she about him. Everything is perfect but she can't have children and the fairytale is gone... And I guess you know the rest about her life, love affairs, etc. BTW, I once read that Reza loved her till the reast of his life. And finally it's Farah's turn - a new fairytale - the wedding, the son, the coronation, the Persepolis... and then BUM - end of the empire, the exile, the death of the Shah and a few years ago the death of Princess Leila. Thst's why I wrote that these beauties were/are ill-fated. ;-)

Farah wearing Soraya's wedding tiara and a most splendid set of emeralds and diamonds:

1962juliana.jpg

30401015.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny said:

Danny

Danny, as much as I want to agree with you I can't. It's impossible not to talk about the wearer/owner of certain jewels. You have witnesed not one or two discussions about Camilla, her relations with the Royal Family and what she did to Diana, just after a photo and a few kind words. And there are other examples - look at my previous post about the wives of the las Shah of Iran, the discussion about The Queen Mother and The Duchess of Windsor, about Princess Mabel's (lack) of style, Asian crowns etc. I for one do not see nothing wrong with that and the mention of the wedding of former US President Clinton's daughter. Indeed for an American, a country that has never had its own royalty, this wedding i the closest experiance to what the Swedes had 6 weeks ago ;-) And a clarification of who is who and his/her relations with the family is sometimes needed with minr royals or other royal descendats.

Bobby

She wasn't royal but was marriead to a Danish royal descend. On 25 July 2010 Countess Ruth of Rosenborg died at the age of 85. The late Coutess was married to the former Prince Flemming of Denmark, who renaunced his titles upon their marriage in 1949.Count Fleming died in 2002. They had 3 sons and a daughter. The late Countess was close to the Danish and Norwegian royal families.

cssruthstartiaraa.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Here is Queen Noor of Jordan wearing a fringe tiara.

Would she be considered "Queen Mother?" She's the widow of a monarch, but not the mother of the current king. Or would it be more appropriate to say "Dowager Queen?"

noorformalfringe.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
I think this one will come out a little bigger....it's more of a scroll tiara.

sunburst-1.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav said:
Farah wearing Soraya's wedding tiara and a most splendid set of emeralds and diamonds:

What was the event in this picture? That has to be Queen Elizabeth II in the lower front right wearing the Vladimir tiara...and I think it is Queen Beatrix behind Farah and the Shah? This had to be a big deal for so many monarchs to be present!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I think that Her Majesty Queen Noor of Jordan is enough to destinguish her from The Queen of Jordan (Rania). I don't think think that Queen Dowager is appealing to Queen Noor and to her regret she isn't mother of the current monarch.

Another photo of Queen Noor with the modern fringe tiara and diamond riviere:

JOR%20Queen%20Noor.JPG

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Queen Noor wearing a diamond scroll tiara. The photo is from the Jordanian State Visit to Luxembourg in November 1985:

27_-_reina_noor_de_jordaniai.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Wearing a pair of long pearl, diamond and emerald earrings, a favourite of mine:

Save+Children+Awards+Ceremony+4jPpG1uR9Hbl.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Wearing a necklace and earrings with her favourite stones - Persian turquoises:

54rr7.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
A brooch in diamonds with a photo of the late King Husein:

6067306.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria said:
prince.of.preslav said:

What was the event in this picture? That has to be Queen Elizabeth II in the lower front right wearing the Vladimir tiara...and I think it is Queen Beatrix behind Farah and the Shah? This had to be a big deal for so many monarchs to be present!

As I mentioned earilier the photo is from the gala for Silver Wedding Anniversary of Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands in 1962. It's been a quite grand and glittering occasion with representatives from (all most) all monarchies in Europe and some in Asia. Before the gala (or maybe after) the royal guests had a tour with barges through the channels of Amsterdam. Actually, this is one of the few continetial royal events that Elizabeth II attended herself with the Duke of Edinburgh, the Duchess of Kent and Princess Alexandra.

Here's a video of the guests arriving - http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=68792

A group photo with the guests:

JBroyalguests1962.jpg

dianab

Rough_Rock
Bobby, YOU ROCKS!!!!!

Thank you very much for pics & for info on former queens of Iran

About Fawzia, I only knew she had a daughter ...

neug0n.gif

nd9d1g.jpg

ngr3mx.jpg

o6mq1g.jpg

dianab

Rough_Rock
Princess Caroline of Monaco & pic of Farrah

oh5tgn.jpg

orig_C_0_articolo_293460_immagine.jpg

orig_C_0_articolo_371069_listatakes_itemTake_1_immaginetake.jpg

Persepolis-Generation5.jpg

dianab

Rough_Rock
Caroline

1 pic of Diana

pre-SEEGER00161662.jpg

princess_caroline_gallery_20.jpg

prv_aci_glo_0010999.jpg

prvaciglo05859987no.jpg

dianab

Rough_Rock
Caroline & Grace

prv_aci_glo_0585962.jpg

prv_aci_glo_0585998.jpg

prv_aci_glo_0586004.jpg

rainertributegrace16.jpg

dianab

Rough_Rock
Grace & Stephanie

rainertributegrace11.jpg

rainertributegrace22.jpg

rainertributegrace4.jpg

rjgile.jpg

dianab

Rough_Rock
Princess Caroline

scan0007carosmilegala.jpg

sg09k7.jpg

vg0nqc.jpg

scan0091carocograce.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav said:
Imdanny said:

Danny

Danny, as much as I want to agree with you I can't. It's impossible not to talk about the wearer/owner of certain jewels. You have witnesed not one or two discussions about Camilla, her relations with the Royal Family and what she did to Diana, just after a photo and a few kind words. And there are other examples - look at my previous post about the wives of the las Shah of Iran, the discussion about The Queen Mother and The Duchess of Windsor, about Princess Mabel's (lack) of style, Asian crowns etc. I for one do not see nothing wrong with that and the mention of the wedding of former US President Clinton's daughter. Indeed for an American, a country that has never had its own royalty, this wedding i the closest experiance to what the Swedes had 6 weeks ago ;-) And a clarification of who is who and his/her relations with the family is sometimes needed with minr royals or other royal descendats.

Bobby

Bobby, I haven't said, and if you look at the post I wrote to you about this, I think you'll see what I'm about to say is true, in fairness, that it should not be possible to talk about the wearer/ owner of certain jewels and their family members including their family members throughout history.

What I said is the uncontroversial statement that royal jewels are the topic of this forum- so if royals and the history of a jewel and the history of a royal family's ownership of the jewel come into it, that's fine with me. I've never objected to that.

On the hand, pages and pages of pictures of people who just happen to be royals, who of course just happen to be wearing jewelry, jewelry that we know little or nothing about, and pages and pages about royals, and their appearances, and the clothes they are wearing, these things I think very clearly belong at the Royal Foums and not in a thread about jewels.

I've never said that every single post should be a picture of a jewel and that we shouldn't show pictures of royals wearing jewels (and you know I've made posts of royals wearing jewels myself).

I'd only like to ask that we stay on topic and don't go off into these other areas that are off topic here.

I hope I've explained myself better now so that you can agree or disagree with what it is I'm actually trying to say.

Danny

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results