shape
carat
color
clarity

Coral carving, Natural or dyed?

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there, I was at the jewelry exhibition today. Well, I thought that I can find some good bargains, but sad to say most of the stones are really over-priced. For instance, Tan's quality spinels and chrysoberyl are asking for 2-3 times more! Its certainly much smaller scale in Singapore comparing to Hongkong show.

Anyway, I have always like carved coral roses and I happened to see this exhibitor from India who has these pretty coral earrings in yellow gold. They comes in red, orange and white. He told me that they are fully natural and the lowest part of the coral is white, middle part orange and the top is red. Can someone tell me how to differentiate a synthetic/dyed coral between a fully natural one? Anyway, here are some photos to share, they measure approx 1.5cm across. TIA!

Photo0366.jpg

Photo0368.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I like coral too. A lot of coral is dyed. But I always thought that with the undyed coral that the variation was just from different types of coral.
Those are pretty BTW.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Tks innerkitten:) By the way, do you think the white corals are dyed too? Advise pls:)

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure but I would guess the white is natural. I've read the reds and pinks can fade a little over time ( and I don't think they mean just the dyed coral). I think you're safe with white.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read that all corals are dyed nowadays.

I have two very large real white corals (I mean, these "trees", probably 50X50 cm maybe more) with "branches" and a thick "stem" sitting in my dad's room. They are undyed and totally real. Sometimes I wonder if I should chip off one of the branches and find a carver. They would probably make very small flowers but can be carved in a totally different way. At least I know that they are undyed!

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks innerkitten and crasru for the replies!

Crasru-u mentioned that there is this coral in ur dad's room, are there any natural traits u see on it? I read that 'natural' coral should have this woodgraining pattern which will show under magnification? Is the white color even and a little off-white?TIA!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
chictomato said:

Crasru-u mentioned that there is this coral in ur dad's room, are there any natural traits u see on it? I read that 'natural' coral should have this woodgraining pattern which will show under magnification? Is the white color even and a little off-white?TIA!

Sorry, forgot to tell you that "Dad's room" is 10 hours of direct fly away1

But yes, it is not ebony-white, it is a coral with branches and "bumps" on them (I think these were meant to make other branches). I would say it is slightly off-white. And large - it looks like a bonzai tree. I should photogrpaph it next time I go there.

It would probably make 200-300 carved items. Or more because the stem is quite thick. I have two such corals but it would be sad to destroy them. Don't know where they came from. Possibly, Pacific ocean close to Japan?

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
crasru said:
chictomato said:

Sorry, forgot to tell you that "Dad's room" is 10 hours of direct fly away1

But yes, it is not ebony-white, it is a coral with branches and "bumps" on them (I think these were meant to make other branches). I would say it is slightly off-white. And large - it looks like a bonzai tree. I should photogrpaph it next time I go there.

It would probably make 200-300 carved items. Or more because the stem is quite thick. I have two such corals but it would be sad to destroy them. Don't know where they came from. Possibly, Pacific ocean close to Japan?

Haha crasru I thought its just 10 steps away! :rodent:

Thank u for the reply:) I am just curious to know if what I have is natural. I shall keep my research on!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have heard that most coral today is dyed but I wouldn’t be fussed on yours because I think the carving is gorgeous!

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Chrono said:
I have heard that most coral today is dyed but I wouldn’t be fussed on yours because I think the carving is gorgeous!

Tks Chrono:) I do like it too!

"You can usually tell if the coral is the real thing by its structure. It will have a pattern when you look at it under
a loupe. To make sure it's not plastic, just heat up a needle and apply. If it's plastic, it will smell awful! quoted from Barry. I have yet to try it on my earrings though!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results