shape
carat
color
clarity

Another question for my European friends...

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH and I are going to Europe for our 30th anniversary. We have been before and loved it. We are both very sensitive to other culture and try hard not to be an "ugly american". I would love suggestions on how to dress to fit in. We don't own white tennies, we won't wear shorts, no brightly colored hawaiian shirts, no flashy jewelry... Last time we stuck with sensible dress shoes, black, brown and white shirts, and long khakis. It seemed no one wears color. How about nice jeans? Any suggestions for Muslim countries? We will be in Spain, France, Tunesia, Italy, Monaco and Malta. Looking forward to visiting your wonderful continent and not leaving a bad impression :D

laughinggravy

Shiny_Rock
April, I'm English living in Belgium and tourists are very welcome, many small businesses would be lost without them so come on over, your sensitivity is an added kindness. Just be comfortable and use your common sense, you'll be fine.
I've lived in Spain, Italy and France and they are very laid back countries, no probs.
As for outside Europe, being aware of cultural mores re how much skin to flash is important :wink2:

Have a lovely visit :wavey:

Steel

Ideal_Rock
No shorts, no sun glasses unless it is sunny, no sun visors ever, no pastels or white clothes and keep your camera in a bag not around your neck and don't hog the pavement!

No really, tourists are tourists and very welcome. Do what you want and wear what makes you comfortable.

Congrats on 30 years!

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
Hi April

What time of year are you coming over? That will also determine the kind of clothes to wear and the weather differs greatly in France to that of Tunisia so you'll probably need to pack for all temperatures but best to layer. Denims are fine in the northern European countries for during the day but Europeans tend to dress up to go out for dinner, a black dress can be accessorised really well with different jewellery and scarves and that gives you a good excuse to buy lots of nice things if you're 'only taking a dress or two'.

Tunisia is a mixture of Mediterranean and African climate, which means it typically has hot, dry summers and mild winters. So, taking clothing in lightweight, natural fabrics is a very safe bet. Cotton or other natural fibre shirts or t-shirts, teamed with cotton trousers or ankle length skirts are good and remember to cover your shoulders or you will be looked at and avoid showing cleavage. Sometimes you can't get into museums or churches if you're wearing shorts or your shoulders are showing. You also may need a head scarf so again, one that you would use to accessorise may come in handy in Muslim countries.

If you're coming to the UK then anything goes and you'll definitely not need to worry about wearing shorts.

Would love to know more about your trip, what cities you're going to etc.

We're heading over to Paris at the end of September for a long weekend so looking forward to that.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I sounds like you have it pretty much covered with the no white tennies/hawaiian shirts/shorts rule! Also, no fanny packs!! I don't have anything to add to what the others said other than don't worry about how you look, we love having visitors, especially in these recessionary times. For the Muslim countries it would be a good idea to bring long pants and some kind of shawl to cover your shoulders when needs be. You will also need this if you plan to visit the Vatican.

I know you are asking about clothing and not behaviour, but this might be helpful anyway. The one way Americans can come across as "the ugly tourist" is something that Americans do completely inadvertently, and it is actually a good trait which comes across the wrong way to Europeans; Americans are excellent at "talking themselves up". From a young age, you are all well able to speak for yourselves and are proud of your achievements. This makes you wonderful at things like interviews, in the business world etc, and it's lovely to hear how proud you are of your children/friends/family members. However, Europeans are crap at this. We are modest to a fault, and are careful not to be seen to be bragging. For example, I remember visiting my cousin in New York, and she had a bumper sticker on her car saying "my daugher is in Dartmouth" or something like that. While it's lovely to see how proud she is, you would just never ever see anything like that in Europe. One would only mention something like that if asked. So I think it may help to know that what is intented as a perfectly normal expression of pride in America can sometimes come across as vulgar self-importance in Europe.
And personally I think that Europeans could do with a good dose of pride, but I digress.

Another thing that all tourists should do, not just Americans, is to show real interest in where they are. Many tourists I find just say "oh well it's like this at home" or "we do it THIS way at home", and after a while I'm thinking "well if it's so much better at home why the h€ll are you here??" I actually find a certain group of northern Europeans to be particularly guilty of this. Not to tar a whole population with one brush, that's just my experience. It's like anything, it's fine for people to complain about their own country/family/situation but not for an outsider to do it! So be as interested and as complimentary as possible.

Come to think of it, have you seen this guide? http://www.worldcitizensguide.org/ I remember when I first heard of it I thought how insulting! But it's written by Americans for Americans. I think every country should have one for its traveling population! It was a group of American business people told me about it, they were delighted with it. It's so hard to know when what's normal at home is not ok abroad.

That turned into a bit of an essay, sorry! I hope you and your husband have a wonderful trip.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why thank you all for your great advice! Why no white? Europeans just prefer darks? And as far as Tunesia, I need to keep arms and legs fully covered? I have been to the Vatican so I know the rules there. No worries, no camera around my neck :bigsmile:

Cities visiting: will be on a cruise, so starting in London for a day, then flying to Barcelona where we have a day and a half to tour (any suggestions?) then onto the Big Red Boat (Disney Cruise Lines, I know how cheesy, but the price was amazing and most of the kids are back in school). First day at sea, 2nd day in Tunis, 3rd day in Malta, 4th day Pompeii and Sorrento, 5th day Rome, 6th day Florence (been to Rome and Florence before and excited to go back!) 7th day Corsica (Ajjacio?), 8th day Nice and Monte Carlo. 9th day at sea and then return to Barcelona for another day. Flying back thru Madrid and London so will be nice and tired by the time I get home. Our actual 30th anniversary will be in Rome, :appl: :appl: :appl:

No sparklies this year, but this is just as good!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have traveled a lot and here is my impression: contrary to the popular beliefs, in Paris and Milan people do not dress that well. Unless you have great and tanned legs, I would advise to wear thin transparent pantyhose with skirts (especially short ones), shorts (they are OK if they are not too short) and capris. Very low-sitting jeans (with a potential to show the crack if you bend down) have almost become trademark of Americans; they have to go. Nice expensive jeans are OK Otherwise, sensible clothes and walking shoes are fine but I would advise not to wear bulky Nikes. Shirts are better than T-shirts with logos. I think that JJill has a travel line, some clothes from Land's End are good for traveling, the Traveller has good clothes, too. Freeport Studio was the best, but it has closed down.

In Germany, Switzerland and Austria people usually dress better. Nothing extra, just nicer clothes. Clothers and footwear are pretty cheap in Germany, so you can buy something there if you feel out of place.

I have never been to Muslim countries but my friend from Iran said that you have to cover your hair (not the face, just the hair; it may be something light, like a silky scarf). Also, sleeves have to be long. Legs should be covered; jeans are totally OK. She said that in general the requirements are not that strict it is just that a woman should try to not attact attention to herself. No bright nails, no cosmetics. But she said that Iranians are very hospitable, welcome tourists and understand that Americans do not know much about their traditions so they usually are pretty tolerant. I think that similar requirements apply to most Muslim countries.

In general, I think that it is very wise and considerate of you to think of respecting different cultures and not standing out. (Although I am not sure that the general opinion of Americans is as negative as you think). I wish you a wonderful trip. It would be nice to hear about your impressions when your return back.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Couple things to add. Make sure to bring at least one nice outfit, Europeans dress up for going out much more than Americans. The second is that there is no problem with bare shoulders, but if you are going into churches, have a shawl since most of the Catholic ones do not allow open shoulders or skirts that would be higher than your fingertips. It is my understandng that in some of the Islamic countries you are going to, color is really the way to go. When I lived in Europe, I usually wore nice, neutral pants, heels or black tennis shoes when I would be walking a lot (heels on cobblestones is NOT fun) and colored tops. I never looked out of place in any of the countries I was visiting.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You guys are the best! Since I am 51, no low cut jeans or funky tshirts for me anyways. I dress pretty conservative so I should be good. I only wish I had time to come see each one of you and thank you for your help! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Specifically for Rome: metro (undrground) tickets are one-way. By mistake we missed our station, ended up in a different zone and just went to the other side to return back to our station. Apparently many tourists make this mistake. Miraculously, carabinieri appeared, checked the tickets and took out everyone who did not have a return ticket. All of us were tourists. The carabinieri collected all the passports. Then they said said that we either had to pay (an equivalent) of $ 50.00 on the spot or go to the police department. (Fast forward) - we did not pay and got our passports back, but my advise is, if you get into any situation like this, under no circumstances give your passports to them. Everyone is afraid of dealing with police in another country, but there are many versions of racket. The police, however, has no right to search you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results