shape
carat
color
clarity

I think I may be ready to get another kitty...

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I personally have ever owned strays, so I cannot tell you about owning certain breeds. My good friend in middle school had a raggie and I have never met another cat like her. She is the most mellow animal, even when she way young. You touch her and she totally goes limp, so much fun.

As for getting the same kind as your previous love, I think it depends. Would you do it because you know you like that variety of cat or are you hoping they will be your lost baby? Many years from now when my beloved Odin goes, I would love to have another male as they tend to be affectionate when fixed and I would want a cat like him. I could not however, get another pure white cat, because I would always be a little heart broken when they weren't Odin, no matter how wonderful.

One thing that has made it easier is that although every other cat I have ever had are tabbies, as strays they all look so totally different. Maybe a Maine coon with different markings and eyes would work.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I want to thank everyone who helped me in this thread. You are all caring people and I am blessed to have you in my life. Those of you who know about my cats may also be aware that one of my closest friends died suddenly two weeks after Abby left us. It has been difficult for me to think clearly. DH and I have talked it over and we are going to get another female silver classic Maine coon kitten. The males are just to large for me to carry around anymore. I needed to go through this process to come to this place.

cemrn

Brilliant_Rock
RAGDOLLS!!!!! They are awesome. The "puppycat". They sure are. We have 2. A 4 year old blue cream girl and a 1 year old blue lynx mitted girl. Our 4 year old Roxy is more floppy and cuddly. The other Daisy is still a kitten, not as floppy but follows you around everywhere. Don't think you can take a shower without her right there! They take a bit longer to mature (2 years). They are both very sweet, full of kisses and talk to us. They run to the door when we come home. Roxy pic. The girls together Christmas morning on their new toy. Wish I had more but DH just lost the camera with my card and all the pics on it!
IMG_1897c.jpg

roxydaisy.jpg

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Marian,
I posted on your other thread, but wanted to chime in here, too. Raggies sound like JUST what you are looking for. They are not the chandelier swingers that some breeds can be! Of course they are playful, and hilariously funny, but in general they are laid back, gentle, and docile. PLEASE NOTE, though... they are NOT all "lap cats"... some of them are more "like-to-be-near-you" or "...next-to-you" kind of cats. Like all animals, they are all unique, and each has its own personality, preferences, and yes, even quirks ;)) but that's what makes loving a living, breathing creature so interesting and so darn much FUN (IMHO)!
Oh, I am so excited to be able to share this "journey" with you! THANK YOU for including us!!!
xoxo!
Lynn

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OH, almost forgot... wanted to address the Ragdoll/RagaMuffin question. The breeds share some past commonalities but are two totally separate breeds.
Ragdolls are a POINTED breed, with blue eyes.
RagaMuffins have many of the same personality traits that Ragdolls have, but they come in virtually all colors, patterns, and eye colors.
Like a Ragdoll, a well-bred and well-socialized RagaMuffin should be a delightful, wonderful pet.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much, cemrn and Lynn :)) Your Ragdolls are gorgeous :appl: Having given this much though over the last few weeks, we may remain with our original breed, the Maine Coon Cat. We have been doing a lot of research and both the Ragdoll and RagaMuffin have been high on our list. After sharing our home with MCC for the past 21+ years, we seem to have come full circle and would like to stay with our breed. I hope you will both stay with me through this process. I have called several breeders. It may take some time to find the kitten we want. We have been invited to a cattery next weekend, just to get a feel for the place and have a look at the current crop of kittens and how they are being raised. I think we will go. I will still be calling other breeders. The breeder proposed something interesting to me. She is wanting to place some older queens who will not be used for her breeding progam anymore. She has a silver classic tabby she wants to place with a good home. She is 1 year old and is supposed to be a beautiful cat with a loving personality. I am going to keep an open mind on this. Another breeder doesn't anticipate breeding for silver tabbies and another won't have a silver until Christmas. The breeder we are going to visit has a new litter, which may have a silver, but they are too young for her to be sure. She has another litter that are almost ready to go, but no silvers. She does have some brown tabbies with white. I will let you know how this goes.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
brazen_irish_hussy said:
I personally have ever owned strays, so I cannot tell you about owning certain breeds. My good friend in middle school had a raggie and I have never met another cat like her. She is the most mellow animal, even when she way young. You touch her and she totally goes limp, so much fun.

As for getting the same kind as your previous love, I think it depends. Would you do it because you know you like that variety of cat or are you hoping they will be your lost baby? Many years from now when my beloved Odin goes, I would love to have another male as they tend to be affectionate when fixed and I would want a cat like him. I could not however, get another pure white cat, because I would always be a little heart broken when they weren't Odin, no matter how wonderful.

One thing that has made it easier is that although every other cat I have ever had are tabbies, as strays they all look so totally different. Maybe a Maine coon with different markings and eyes would work.

Well, this is the heart of the decision. I started talking to some MCC breeders today. We plan to visit one next weekend. They are all quite some distance away. We would like to visit some catteries and see how I respond to the different MCC kittens. Woody was a brown striped tabby and guests would stop in their tracks when they saw him. He was truly a grand looking cat in his day. He looked like a bobcat, but was so gentle. He made soft chirpping sounds, while Abby was a chatter box and loud! I have always been drawn to long haired tabbies. When I first decided to get a cat, I quickly knew that the MCC was my choice. They do come in many colors and patterns. To answer your question, however, I have always loved this breed.

Abby was a one of a kind cat. I am not expecting to replace her. I have a feeling that the kitten will end up choosing me.

cemrn

Brilliant_Rock
It sounds like a good plan to me. If you've been in love with the MC breed and are ready for a new one then go for it. Good look visiting breeders

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
You may want to check out the British Shorthair - They are laid back, sweet, loving and just so beautiful to look at!!!

hardyakka.jpg

This is my ragdoll kitty "Montou". He's 8 months old now and he's the sweetest really. Very unique personnality! I love his eyes...

ragdollnothappylol3.jpg

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
^^^I love your pics, Ame. We have considered the British Cat, too. We received an amazing offer today, which we sadly must decline. A cattery has a silver tabby who, at eight months, has achieved his grand championship. They want to place him in a loving home. The problem....his size!! The breeder told me that at eight months he is 16 pounds and is the largest MCC that they have ever bred. They expect he will be a very large cat at maturity. He sounds gorgeous! I just can't lift just a large cat anymore. That is the only reason I am limiting our search to females. Our male was twice the size of our female. I hope that they find a wonderful home for their special boy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results