shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA vs Appraiser! What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mercerdnky

Rough_Rock
I agree, NoviceNYC. I would (and have) recommend Dave Wolf. We had a great experience.

NoviceNYC

Rough_Rock
I wanted to follow-up on this post incase anyone else has a concern such as mine about appraisals and their results varying.

I went to get my final appraisal today (stone, setting, and wedding band) and the appraiser appraised my stone as a G color.
appl.gif
He thought it was a definite G and marked it as such. When I questioned him about the difference in opinions he simply stated what everyone else did..."appraisers just give their opinions". In his opinion it was a G, Dave's an H, and GIA a G. I still went back to Just Appraisers but this time Justin (who now does all NYC appraisals) was the one who looked at it. I hope at least my story can sooth anyone else's fear that has a similar experience.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 4/22/2004 10:18:41 AM elmo wrote:

----------------
On 4/22/2004 9:23:23 AM Wink wrote:

I know how this stone will be treated by the trade should it ever reenter the market. It will be bought and sold as an H, it does not matter what Wink Jones in Boise thinks.
----------------

This is true if someone is buying the paper and not looking at the stone. If someone sends you an H on memo for me Wink and you think it's a J, I'd certainly hope you and the supplier would work on the price for me or you'd send it back.----------------
Just saw this today when the thread got bumped.

Yes, Elmo, if someone sends me a stone with such a lucky cert, it is highly unlikely that you would ever see it or even know about it.

Wink

noobie

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 7/20/2004 4:11:53 PM Wink wrote:

Yes, Elmo, if someone sends me a stone with such a lucky cert, it is highly unlikely that you would ever see it or even know about it.

Wink

----------------

If the stone has an unlucky cert, would you send it back to be regraded or pass on the benefits to the customer. I had this happen to me recently where the manufacturer sent the stone back because he didn't like the grade. It was regraded by another lab higher and the price changed. I don't think there is anything wrong with this BTW. It's still my choice to buy it in the end.

edited to add: This is not directed at you spefically Wink, just a general question

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Nevermind, it was a knee jerk question. Sorry. I can figure out the answer.

diamondliz

Rough_Rock
Trade
Sounds like Dave has a bit of an ego! I'm an appraiser and usually go by what a GIA cert says. Three seperate gemologists have to conquer to set the grade on the diamond at GIA. They have only the best equipment available. Nuff said.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 8/11/2004 9:27:57 PM diamondliz wrote:

Sounds like Dave has a bit of an ego! I'm an appraiser and usually go by what a GIA cert says. Three seperate gemologists have to conquer to set the grade on the diamond at GIA. They have only the best equipment available. Nuff said.----------------

diamondliz,

if you're going to agree everytime with the GIA cert, why would i need to hire you? i can read what it says on the GIA cert. for me as a consumer, i want the appraiser's honest opinion. if the stone is a piece of crap, i want to know it. if the stone is over graded, i want to know it. when i had my stone appraised by chris at dave atlas, he gave me his honest opinion. he said if the stone is a piece of crap, he would advise his clients to return it and keep looking,that's what i want to hear from an appraiser, but since he called it a nice stone for the grade, so i was comfortable about buying it.

diamondliz

Rough_Rock
Trade
I really don't agree every time with the GIA cert. I have noticed that they are getting a little soft on clarity grades lately and sometimes I do not agree. However, I am with Wink. I can give my opinion all day long but it won't change the cert. The diamond will still be a "G" and the price will still be the same. I say this only if it comes down to splitting hairs between the lower end of a "G" and the higher end of a "H" color grade. Then, to me, it becomes subjective and I would go with GIA.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 7/20/2004 4:33:39 PM noobie wrote:

----------------
On 7/20/2004 4:11:53 PM Wink wrote:

Wink

----------------

If the stone has an unlucky cert, would you send it back to be regraded or pass on the benefits to the customer. I had this happen to me recently where the manufacturer sent the stone back because he didn't like the grade. It was regraded by another lab higher and the price changed. I don't think there is anything wrong with this BTW. It's still my choice to buy it in the end.

edited to add: This is not directed at you spefically Wink, just a general question
----------------
If a stone has an unlucky cert I will tell you what I think and sell it to you based on what I paid for which would be no more than what the cert says it should be. I have done this a few times in my careet, ie tell a client that I personally think this SI1 stone is a VS2 and am really surprised at this cert. If you want to look at the stone and buy it for its beauty it is a steal deal, or I can go get you a more expensive stone that will look just like this one only with better paper.

I have never actually bothered trying to get the better paper, although I know a couple of dealers who actively look for such stones and make good money on the spread, they tell me it is much harder to do that today than it was twenty years ago.

Wink

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results