shape
carat
color
clarity

Can Someone Comment on 0.9 carat vs. 1.0 carats

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Heh, heh...I forgot to sort by price in the last example.

I then double checked using another constant grade, searching for H and SI1, between .9 and 1.05, AGS0, and got more of the picture reported above, with a spread between 2500 and 4000 for .9 and 1.0 respectively.

Hopefully you don't need to just find the right sample to prove whatever point you have...I do think the price stats table tells the story.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Id be PISSED if my fiancee bought a stone just over a carat just because it was a "full carat" especially when there's a HUGE price difference for just going .99. When people ask me what it is I wear I say just under or at a carat depending who Im trying to impress. No point in overspending just to say "I have a full carat". Most people think its bigger than that anyway.

And if she's that worried about "why not just buy the full carat" say "id like to get a couple house payments (or one depending where you live) for our home together as well." And if she balks at that t oo, find another girl to marry because someone that worried about it isn't really interested in your relationship anyway.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I would never state, upon being asked, what the exact points are to a diamond because I think it is totally obnoxious. My stone IS specifically 3.29, but if someone were to ask and I were actually going to answer them, I would just say, if I wanted to be specific, "three and a quarter carat" -- I don't really think it is necessary to include that extra four points. But, I would most likely say "over three carats". I don't think the overage is really necessary to mention; the ring is 9.59 mm, so I think that they get the picture that it is of considerable size for an average, non-celebrity/trust-fund person!

As has been discussed, carat weight really means nothing (although we all know that the average Joe/Jane still uses it as the size indicator of choice). I mean, what does 3 carats really mean? If you have a round stone, it will mean one thing, but if you have a square cut stone, it is going to mean something else (usually visually smaller).

My point is that no one is going to know that your stone is NOT an actual 100 points! Look at it this way, if it were 1.01, would you say, "It is one point one carats"? No, you would still say it is a carat.

If you go with this size you are considering, and someone asks its size, you don't need to say "almost a carat"... just say "a carat" -- period!

Zeppelin

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the dialogue, everyone. Luckily, my girlfriend is very understanding about cost and has even suggested we just remount her grandmother's 0.5 carat G-VS1 in a pave setting.

That would save A LOT of money, but there is still this kind of male pride I have in wanting to buy her a stone of our own.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
anyway ,how often do you see a .99 ct or a 1.99 ct ,i think the cutter will be fire for cutting this size stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results