shape
carat
color
clarity

Color vs. Clarity

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

piepiezzz

Rough_Rock
Please answer one more question for me.

I am looking at two diamonds. Both 1.38 ct, ideal cuts, vg-ex polish/symm

both 7.14x7.09x4.42

The only difference is one is a H,VS2 and One is a G,SI1

Both perform excellent on brialliance >1.5

Internet purchase at Affinity Diamonds.

Is there a huge difference in these two (G, SI1 vs. H SI1)

Obviously, they told me the SI1 is eye-clean, should I beleive them??

Please give me your thoughts

JC

Shiny_Rock
That really comes down to your own preference. If each diamond is completely eye-clean than the color of the diamond is what will make your decision. You've already said that each diamond possesses the same "ideal" cut factor and basically performs the same. So would you want a "G" or an "H" color?

wavey.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
hmmm....piepie- what is your understanding of the term "eye clean"...?

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Moremoremore very good question!
2.gif
I saw a gorgeous I color SI-1 diamond that faced up very white and sparkly; however, from the side I saw two black dots and was horrified!
eek.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
You saw the spots for good reason! ... you cheated!!! Clarity is graded face up only. Not thru the pavillion. Also, clarity grades don't give any info about "eye clean"....they just assign a grade based on the number/type (I think type) of inclusions....I have seen and returned a vs2 that was not eye clean to me. Eye clean is to a casual observer....face up....not to us eyeballing the stone knowing where the inclusion is...so you need to be very careful with Si1s...and in my opinion, vs2s also!
1.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 8/9/2004 2:29:25 PM lmurden wrote:

Moremoremore very good question!
2.gif
I saw a gorgeous I color SI-1 diamond that faced up very white and sparkly; however, from the side I saw two black dots and was horrified!
eek.gif
----------------
NOt relevant to question of eye clean. Eye clean is from top of stone only. Side views will often show even VS inclusions.

Wink

P.S. Not intended to mean that this is not relevant to you, obviously it was. Definition of eye clean to diamond grader is viewed from the top.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 8/9/2004 12:19:42 PM piepiezzz wrote:

Please answer one more question for me.

I am looking at two diamonds. Both 1.38 ct, ideal cuts, vg-ex polish/symm

both 7.14x7.09x4.42

The only difference is one is a H,VS2 and One is a G,SI1

Both perform excellent on brialliance >1.5

Internet purchase at Affinity Diamonds.

Is there a huge difference in these two (G, SI1 vs. H SI1)

Obviously, they told me the SI1 is eye-clean, should I beleive them??

Please give me your thoughts----------------

As you describe the two stones the top view should be visually indistinguishable one from the other. Which is cheapest? Which do you psychologically want? The most important factor, the cut is equal according to the paper and the numbers, ask your vendor which looks nicest, because chances are that one will look better than the other in a side by side "blind taste test", even if only almost imperceptibly.

Wink

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
"Which do you psychologically want?"

Wink- that is HUGE for me. Partly, b/c I'm mental... I can have the most beautiful stone in the world...(like the last princess I had...for one day) but just knowing that I could sometimes see the inclusion e/t others probably wouldn't notice...just bugged the heck out of me!

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Maybe I cheated but to me seeing two obvious black dots isn't worth it if the prongs aren't going to cover up the inclusions.

Does anybody know why clarity is only graded from the top and not the sides?

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Tolerance for color/clarity is a very subjective thing. That being said, the visual differences between these two stones will be minimal especially since the good cut will likely mask any inclusions on the SI1. Then again, most VS2s are completely clean and need a 10X loupe to see anything--some people really like that kind of clarity comfort level and if you can afford it, it's great. The cuts are good and the prices fair for each stone, then it comes down to your budget and your preferences.
1.gif

Wink may be on to something with the price--Is one less expensive than the other? If you really can't tell visually, vote your pocketbook.
2.gif

PS I would avoid black inclusions like the plague...I only accept white ones like feathers--Just say NO to carbon unless it is hidden under a prong!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As I said, I acknowledge that it is relevant to you.

Stones are graded from the top because that is how they are most normally viewed. The way that light behaves in a stone allows things that are completely invisible from the top to often be seen easily from the side.

The people who invented the grading system (GIA) decided that this was irrevelant to the average buyer/user and grade their stones accordingly.

Wink

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Is it me or are you irritated with my question?
confused.gif

I think it is a legitimate clarity question. Also it took me a split second to tilt the ring to the side and see the obvious black dots. A lot people look at a diamond ring from different view before buying.

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
I have an SI diamond that's completely eye-clean from all the angles. If the vendor has both stones in stock, why not just ask them whether the inclusions can be seen from the side. You can also send both stones to the appraiser and have them evaluate them for clarity.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 8/9/2004 4:10:02 PM lmurden wrote:

Is it me or are you irritated with my question?
confused.gif

I think it is a legitimate clarity question. Also it took me a split second to tilt the ring to the side and see the obvious black dots. A lot people look at a diamond ring from different view before buying. ----------------
NO, I am not irritated, I am on cough syrup that makes it hard for me to think so I am giving as clear of answers as I can. I specifically added that I knew this was relevant to you to make sure you knew I appreciated that. Technically it is not relevant, but emotionally it is VERY relevant. I am wishing you could hear my tone of voice, it is NOT angry or irritated in any way. My intention is to answer the question, both technically and in the emotional sense too, since diamonds are primarily an emotional purchase.

I have a client who can see VS2 inclusions from the top of the stone. Nice for me, I get to sell him higher quality stones, but still to the average eye they would be eye clean. This is part of the problem with a term like eye clean that obviously means different things to different people. For a diamond grader, it means from the top. To most consumers it means exactly what it means to you, that the stone must be clean from all angles.

That is OKAY, just make sure you discuss it with your vendor so that he/she does not unintentionally let you down.

I really am sorry if I sounded rude, it was not my intention.

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
P.S. I am kind of afraid to go look at what I might have said at 1 in the morning last night, I was REALLY rummy then!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
You are never rude!!!! Jennifer and I have already started the Price Scope FOW (Friends Of Wink) fan club !
1.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Wink, your tone and style remind me very much of my jeweler--who is, after my DH, THE most important man in my life!
9.gif

Sometimes, I can "hear" your words in his voice as I read your posts... Gee, maybe I'd better lay off the wine at dinner...
2.gif

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Wink,

Thank you for your thorough explanation. I did not mean to offend you in anyway. I will definitely take your advice and ask the online vender to inspect the diamond from all angles. Thanks again.
wavey.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks all for understanding my intentions. I am cough syrup free today, man it is like coming out from a bad dream. Everything felt like it was happening in slow motion and that you are somehow underwater...

I like being able to think at normal speed MUCH better...

Wink

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 8/9/2004 9:07:04 PM moremoremore wrote:

Jennifer and I have already started the Price Scope FOW (Friends Of Wink) fan club !
1.gif
----------------

Ooh, can I join too? I have been having a great time talking with him these last few days.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OH, oh, oh! Can I be in the FOW Fan Club, too?!!! Please?!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

Lynn

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results