shape
carat
color
clarity

Stone set by LOGR? Anyone?

sillysweetie

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I've been lurking around for a loooooong time and finally made my first purchase of coloured stone. It's a 7.1mm round purple spinel from Barry. I'm not in the US and it seems my local jewellery stores are not willing to set outside stones, esp they are not diamonds, due to liability concern.

I do love some of LOGR's settings and have my heart set on getting this setting (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT) for my spinel. My problem is that no one will set my stone even I have the setting on hand, so I'm thinking of sending my stone to LOGR to set the stone. Anyone here has experience of letting them set their stones? What should I pay attention to?

Should I get a 7mm or 7.5mm setting? In your opinion, which gold colour would go better with the stone (rose gold or white gold)?

Thanks for your input in advance.

swbarryspinel.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are a few questions that you should ask yourself:
1. What if your stone gets lost in transit? Are you fine with just a monetary refund from the shipping company after a lot of hassle and paperwork?
2. Are you prepared to accept the risk of damage to the stone by LOGR during the setting process?
3. What recourse do you have if the setting job is poorly executed?

To be safe, if LOGR offers a 7.5 mm setting, your stone should fit it, otherwise a 7 mm setting should be fine if your setting is good and the prongs long enough for the benchperson to work with. Based on the picture alone, I think rose gold will give the spinel a rich and warm look.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there that's a pretty purple spinel! but from my last email from Stephen(few months ago) he mentioned that they do not set Customer's stones. did you just enquired recently?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am pretty sure LOGR does not set customer's stones. I would recommend getting 7 mm and not 7.5mm - I hate it when metal is showing where it shouldn't. Are your local jewelers willing to set the stones if you don't make them liable for damages? The jewelers here will set them but they tell me that they aren't responsible if the stone is damaged - it has never been damaged yet.

sillysweetie

Rough_Rock
Hi all, thanks for all your replies. :razz:

Chrono, I did ask about any protection on my side in case the stone is damaged when it's being set. They offered to cover a certain amount with the setting price they quoted but if I pay more for the setting job, I'll be covered for a higher amount. I guess I would have to rely on them to un-mount the stone if I'm not happy with their setting job. That will entail the stone being shipped back and forth again and hence higher risk of getting lost in transit....

Chictomato and Charmypoo, I'm actually not contacting with LOGR through eBay and I enquired specifically about setting *my* stone. It seems this policy doesn't extend to their business on eBay and in fact, their charges are quite different from what they charging on eBay.

Charmypoo, I vaguely remember you also have this setting in both white gold and rose gold (It seems the pictures of your CS rings in your thread are not showing). What colour do you like better? I'm leaning towards rose gold since I really love rg. But will white gold make the stone lighter and brighter? The spinel does go darker than I'd prefer in some lighting conditions. The stones on the band are said to be I3, did you upgrade the stones? If not, how do they look in real life? Are you able to spot any inclusions?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I actually have this setting in white gold, yellow gold, and rose gold. I have a pink stone set in the white gold and a lavendar spinel set in a the rose gold. Nothing in the yellow gold setting yet. I think your stone will look great in the white gold. Their rose gold is really coppery looking and I am not sure how good it will look with that purple - it does well with the lavendar but not sure about the purple. I have one other rose gold ring which actually looks rosey and nothing like the LOGR rose gold. LOGR stones are sometimes really nice and others not so much without an upgrade.

I fixed the photos on my thread in the last page. The afghan tourmaline setting has upgraded diamonds whereas most of the others do not (I can't remember which one does or not) - not too much difference unless you get a really nasty black diamond which does happen.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is my lavender spinel in that setting in rose gold, just to give you an idea of a purple shade stone in there. I think purple would look nice. My other 2.8 carat oval spinel goes very purple in incandescent light, and it's in rose gold, and I love it in there.

TLlavenderspinellogr3.JPG

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
My ring looks very much like TL's .. in fact .. I copied her and we may have even purchased the stone from the same person looking at the color and how it is cut.

CharmyPoo-LavendarSpinel.jpg

This is an example of how a deeper purple looks in white gold.
CharmyPoo-Amethyst.jpg

sillysweetie

Rough_Rock
Hi TL and Charmy, thanks for posting the photos here. I can see the LOGR rose gold is on the coppery side but I guess it should still go fine with purple. Do you have a photo of the profile view? Should I request them to set it as low as possible? What else should I state clearly beforehand? Is polishing after mounting needed? Sorry for all these questions since I'm totally new to these things. :)

ssspinel.JPG

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I don't know .. I personally would not feel comfortable sending a pricey stone to LOGR or China for setting. I sent two stones to Lan.bo4 for setting - the first one that was sent without signature and apparantly got "lost". The second one I paid over $40 US to send it through registered mail and signature .. did get there properly and was set although the custom made setting was so disgusting that I never wear the ring. If something happened during setting, you have no way of knowning until the ring gets back to you and then the question arises whether or not the damage was done while shipping or sending. It just all seems too risky for me.

Are you sure you won't be able to find a local jeweler that can set it for you? Where are you located - perhaps someone can find you a jeweler? I know in Toronto .. almost every single jeweler will set a stone for me although they won't guarantee that they don't damage the stone. I have yet to have a single stone damaged and I don't believe that LOGR can guarantee they won't damage your stone either.

ETA: Are you in HK? In that case, maybe the package will have a lower change of getting lost and the shipping will be cheaper. There must be jewelers who are willing to set stones in HK. I have seen it done several times and I know my mom has her diamonds set all the time locally.

sillysweetie

Rough_Rock
Yes, I'm in HK. Somehow I just assume I'll get lucky with sending the stone given the relatively short distance. The shipping cost would be quite affordable compared to sending from the US. LOGR didn't guarantee that they won't damage my stone. But if I pay, say $10 for mounting, they'll give me back $100 in case the stone is damaged during setting.

I asked around some local chain stores. One of them said they could mount diamonds (but I specifically asked for their own settings) but not other gem stones even if I buy their setting. Maybe I'll have better luck with smaller shops?

I don't know where I get that idea but I seem to remember someone here mentioned she had a stone set by LOGR. Now I'm really unsettled about the risk involved. :blackeye:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results