shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do about flying cats home - advice please!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
So I am flying to my parents' house in a few weeks, and of course I'm taking Kipling and Dante with me. I have a dilemma about flight arrangements for them though.

In the past (Thanksgiving and Christmas) they flew with me in the cabin in one bag. The airline let me do that since they were under 25 lbs. total and under 6 mos of age. Now, they're a year old so the airline isn't letting me put them in one bag for in-cabin travel. I don't like the idea of putting them in cargo though, and having heard horror stories, I would prefer, if at all possible, to have them travel with me.

I especially want them with me because this is a flight that requires a layover (no direct flights from here to home), the first leg is 4.5 hours, with a 2.5 hour layover, and then a 1.5 hour flight. Since it's long I want them with me, especially since we also have a layover.

However, the kittens are also bigger now than they were over Christmas. Kipling is about 10 lbs. and Dante is 8-8.5 lbs. They both fit into the airline approved Sherpa carrier, but it'll be cozy. If I put them in cargo, I'd buy a new hard carrier and it'd be bigger and they would have more room to move around in. I'm not sure what to do. Should I put them in cargo? Or try to bring them into the cabin with me in one bag (and lie about their age so the airline will let me).

Driving is not an option (too far and flight is already booked). Shorter flight isn't an option. Direct flight isn't an option.

Pros of cargo - they'd have more room to move around in. I'd be less stressed on the flight because Kipling is yowling the entire time (stressed b/c I feel bad for the other passengers)
Cons of cargo - they'd be by themselves without me, on a long-ish flight. I'd be stressed the entire time worrying about them.

Pros of cabin - they'd be with me
Cons of cabin - they'd be a bit cramped, they'll probably yowl the entire time making people around me unhappy, and I'd have to lie about their age

Cost of in-cabin or cargo is the same for this particular airline so that's not an issue. And of course I plan to pay and not sneak them aboard.

Advice please? Thank you! And of course, can't be complete without pictures of the troublemakers :razz:

IMG_1131c.jpg

file.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We're having exactly the same debate - how to fly our three across the country so the parents can keep them for the wedding/honeymoon..

So no advice I'm afraid, but I'll be watching this thread! Southwest told me that age doesn't factor into their policies, so long as the cats can stand up and fully turn 'round in the carrier. 8.5lbs is a small cat 8) maybe the bigger carrier idea would be sufficient?

We do plan to knock ours out for the flight, is that something you'd consider?

I'm not at all comfortable putting them in cargo.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd be a mess if my animals were in cargo without me.

I know it isn't ideal, but can you get a sedative from your vet so that they are more relaxed (and hopefully won't cry the whole time) and won't bother the other passengers? (works when they take my mom on a plane :cheeky: )
This might make the snuggly conditions a bit less cramped if they are just curled up together anyway.

I'd still take them with (even without the sedative).

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
As much as I hate that suggestion, I think the sedatives will be your best bet, too. Lie about their age and take them with you. Cargo can be rather dangerous if the people loading them don't pay attention or don't know what they're doing. A little happy juice will help them a lot with the pressure changes, too.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
I think I would leave them at home and get them a good cat sitter to come visit. I don't like the idea of putting them in cargo at all. I also want to caution you about placing them in the same carrier for such a long time. I know you did it when they were kittens, and I'm sure everything would be fine - but I thought the same thing about my 2 cats. Years ago I bought a large carrier that would fit both Electra and Seth for their vet visits, etc. Well, Electra tends to get stressed and takes it out on Seth. I seriously thought she was going to kill him on one particular ride home from the vet - very scary. And these 2 cats love each other.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd think about getting a pet sitter or a friend to watch Dante and Kipling. I know you want to take them, but neither option sounds like the greatest. Either you'd have to put them in cargo or you'd have to lie to the airline. Cargo seems like a very loud, depressing place, and I don't blame you for wanting to avoid that. Cats don't tend to do well with change, and I know my cats would FREAK if they were put in cargo.

Also, to be fair to other passengers, it doesn't seem like the greatest idea to have them with you if they howl/cry constantly. With such a long flight, that could get old pretty fast to the other people on the plane. Even to cat lovers. Here's question -- would/could the airline make you weigh the cats or provide proof of their weight? I wouldn't want to lie and then be caught.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your responses everyone!

Yssie, TP, and MP - I'll ask the vet about sedatives. I don't want to fully knock them out, but if they can recommend anything to make them relaxed and quiet, I'll definitely consider it. Feliway, unfortunately, doesn't seem to do much for them.

LAJennifer and Zoe - pet sitting is not an option. This isn't a visit - I'm moving out of Chicago so the kitties have to come with me.

So far the two trips over Thanksgiving and Christmas were fine (about the same amount of time as this trip since it's to the same place) and the kittens are good with being in one bag (they're also littermates so they're used to each other).

I know the kittens have been in cargo once before when they were shipped to me, but of course, they were 3 mos then and much smaller.

Zoe, I think we'd be ok even if they were weighed (I'm pretty sure they're under 25 lbs. total, which I believe is the limit). I just worry that they'll check the vet papers and see that they're over 6 mos. Though I really doubt the counter people care that much - the last couple times they didn't even ask for the vet papers, though I get them anyway just in case. I'm also hoping that because it's a soft carrier they'll let me take them on-board even if they do check the papers since there's no option of putting them in cargo. I am fully ready to kick up the biggest fuss and throw the loudest hissyfit EVER in the crowded airport to get my cats on board with me.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with looking into the sedative idea so that they can go with you in the cabin...of course it's not ideal, but a better idea than them flying cargo. Animals have died, gotten lost, etc., flying cargo.

And don't offer the vet papers unless they ask...

I wish you'd have a way of knowing which counter agents were animal lovers!

Good luck, BEG, I know it's going to be stressful no matter which way you do it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please do not bring cats in the passenger cabin unless you drug them.

Subjecting paying customers to hours of a yowling cat is wrong.
You have no right.

AFAIC I feel the same way about yowling dogs, babies, drunk passengers. :angryfire:
Take a car, don't go, or don't have cats, dogs, babies or drink too much.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
CJ, I know! Too bad I can't hand out a questionnaire before bringing them in.

Kenny, thanks for your opinion. As a matter of fact, I'm not too happy when there are loud noises on the plane either, but I do accept that sometimes it can't be helped (as in the case of crying babies). And in fact, I'm very conscious of the fact that people will be uncomfortable and I spend the entire flight trying to keep the kittens quiet. However, I'm also paying $100+ to transport them, meaning that I'm not going to make my decision on whether to bring them in the cabin, or sedate them, based solely on what other people might think or feel. It's a fine line and I'm trying to make the best decision for myself, the cats, and the passengers who will be on the same flight.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Re: What to do about flying cats home - advice please!

Sorry, thread hijack.....

I was expecting Kenny to make some $mart a$$ comment about building them a home in a tree.... :lol:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
In all seriousness, I'd put them in cargo where they can stretch out and be more comfortable. The only person unhappy in this case would be you, whereas if the cats were in the cabin, it could affect the cats and the passengers around you.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jaysonsmom said:
I was expecting Kenny to make some $mart a$$ comment about building them a home in a tree.... :lol:

Hey, better to be a $mart a$$ than a dumb a$$. :sick:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
kenny said:
jaysonsmom said:

Hey, better to be a $mart a$$ than a dumb a$$. :sick:

True.... ;))

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Do NOT put them in cargo. They lose pets, they freeze to death, the can be injured getting knocked around, sometimes there are airflow problems. I have yet to hear a story or something terrible happening when they are in the cabin, but it is not hard to find horror stories about them being in cargo. You might try specialty pet airlines or transport companies as well.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cargo...why take risks if you don't have to?

You're trusting that they put the animal in a properly pressurized, temperature controlled bin with no hazardous substances and proper air circulation, and if they have failed to thoroughly and completely check all of these systems the animal is going to be in a very bad situation.

Transporters may or may not take care moving the cage.

When you ship your pet as cargo the animal is quite literally checked baggage, and luggage does get lost.

The health and welfare of your cats comes before someone on the plane whinging about a little scuffling coming from the carrier under your seat (assuming they aren't yowling their lungs out).

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely NOT cargo. What if the airline decided to park you all out on the tarmac for the maximum allowed by law? I imagine that animals in cargo this time of the year might die of heat stroke, since the passenger cabin is usually barely AC'd enough. I'd only take them in the cabin.

Can you take them in 1st class? Less people up there to annoy the cats, and less people to be annoyed by them. More room to spread out and reach down to let them bump noses on your hand. I don't know. I'm not a frequent flyer and haven't been on a plane anytime after 9-11. I always drive my cats everywhere.

P.S. -- They look like sweeties, :)

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, please, DO NOT put those adorable gorgeous animals in cargo, whatever you do...

(I don't think you need convincing of this AT ALL, but just wanted to repeat anyway!)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a cat lover through and through, but I agree with Kenny -- don't take your cats on the plane if they're going to be howling the whole time -- it simply is not fair to the other passengers. You do have options (sedatives or cargo) that mothers with young children don't have, and you should use one of them. Besides, if your cat is howling the whole time that's probably a sign that it's stressed out too. My cat gets absolutely hysterical when she's put in a regular-sized carrier -- she used to howl and drool and hyperventilate for the entire two-hour trip to my parents' house. I'd sedate her rather than asking her to go through that for 4+ hours. If your cat is reacting to being in a small confined area, maybe putting them in cargo in a larger shipping crate would be the better option -- even if you have to ship them in advance and have someone pick them up at the other end to avoid any transfers or layovers. (BTW now I tether my cat rather than caging her when she has to be in the car for more than just a short trip -- and we're both much happier!)

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I have mixed emotions about what I am about to post. I know sometimes that it is a necessity for animals to fly in cargo, and I also have heard of many success stories of the animals arriving safe and sound, and seemingly "none the worst for wear".

Buuuuut, that being said... my nephew used to work for US Airways and he said he has seen plenty of nightmares... people who "hate" cats or dogs deliberately irritating/torturing them, or putting a cage with a little kitten face to face right up next to a big mean, growling, barking dog... etc. He told me once to never, ever let an animal fly cargo.

I suppose if there were no other choice, I'd certainly have to consider it... but I'd have had to explore every other option first, including leaving them at home.

I'm sorry, BEG, I know how much you want them with you (I would, too!!!)... but maybe THEY'D actually be happier at home, in familiar surroundings, with a caring friend or neighbor stopping by once or twice daily?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Lynn B said:
I'm sorry, BEG, I know how much you want them with you (I would, too!!!)... but maybe THEY'D actually be happier at home, in familiar surroundings, with a caring friend or neighbor stopping by once or twice daily?

Er, if you knew what they had done to her house when she was out (and sometimes home!), you wouldn't suggest that, haha! They have destroyed stuff. They do kind of need to go with her, but I think sedatives in the cabin are the best bet.

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
HI...I looked through the posts and if someone else mentioned it I missed it...but there are other safe ways to get you cats there...there are ground transport options...basically they are driven from point A-B...there are different kinds form groups vans to private vehicles...also depending on where you are flying to/form there may be restictions based on temperature...if it to hot not pets...

Best of luck

It is nt the cheapest option...

We did it for our last move (1200 miles) for (1 dog 2 cats) and it worked out great

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MonkeyPie said:
Lynn B said:

Er, if you knew what they had done to her house when she was out (and sometimes home!), you wouldn't suggest that, haha! They have destroyed stuff. They do kind of need to go with her, but I think sedatives in the cabin are the best bet.

Guys, I'm pretty sure she's MOVING, not just going on a trip...so the friend stopping by isn't an option...

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
Carry on+ sedatives is the way to go. Just say they are still kittens and don't offer up too much info. Mothers with babies can't sedate their kids obviously, but pet owners thankfully have that option. And I know you stated that you won't base your decision on what other passenger's feelings are on the matter since you are paying good money, but... I hope you reconsider that. I pay good money when I fly too and the last thing I want to listen to is a screeching howling cat the whole flight.

missjaxon

Brilliant_Rock
I just want to add that I am not sure if it is the same for kittens, but please talk to you vet about sedatives because my vet stressed that it is very dangerous to sedate our puppies when flying, I cannot remember the exact explanation but something about lowering their blood pressure and something to do with their hearts. If your vet thinks it is fine then I would trust her/him, but I just wanted to say that this is a situation we have encountered when flying with our two 10lb Havanese puppies.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Oops, just to be clear - I AM moving. The cats have to leave, one way or another.

Driving isn't an option, and I'm definitely not shipping them by air or ground. One way or another, they WILL be on that plane with me - it's just a question of where on the plane.

Thank you all for your responses! I think you've all brought up the concerns I'm struggling with, and hearing your great advice, I'm leaning in the direction of lying about the age, getting some happy juice for them from the vets, and bringing them in the cabin with me. Hopefully something to relax them will take care of the noise, and I think they'd be happier not being in cargo, and I know I certainly would be happier having them where I can see them (not to mention with me during my layover in the airport).

Lynn, those stories are just awful. I can't believe people would be so mean to animals - it makes me tear up just thinking of how my kittens would feel if they were in this dark weird place on a scary plane with all of these other animals, not to mention the people being mean to them beforehand. I know I project, but still, I think they'd rather have me nearby than be by themselves.

And MP - ha yes! Sometimes the cat sitting can't be helped - in fact, we're having the sitter come in while I'm in NY for the bar, but the cats can be rather destructive.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Missjaxon said:
I just want to add that I am not sure if it is the same for kittens, but please talk to you vet about sedatives because my vet stressed that it is very dangerous to sedate our puppies when flying, I cannot remember the exact explanation but something about lowering their blood pressure and something to do with their hearts. If your vet thinks it is fine then I would trust her/him, but I just wanted to say that this is a situation we have encountered when flying with our two 10lb Havanese puppies.

I will definitely speak with him when I get the health certs for the flight. I've heard the same and that's my primary concern with sedating them. I guess I'm hoping that he'll have something that's like a stronger version of Feliway or Rescue Remedy that won't knock them out but will relax them a bit more?

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gah! Everytime I scroll past this in the main forum list, I always see "What to do about flying cats - advice please!"
Then I have this fleeting vision of a swarm of flying cats...

I know I know, get your eyes checked ksinger. :wacko:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I would NOT put them in cargo. Simple as that.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
My friend just flew her dog from LA to NY on Pet Airways - an airline just for pets. Don't know if this would be an option for you, but I wanted to post just in case.

http://www.petairways.com/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results