shape
carat
color
clarity

Tension Setting OEC/OMC diamonds

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Hello :)

I love the look of other tension rings, and I love the look of OEC/OMC diamonds. Is tension setting this type of cut too dangerous?

I bought two OEC/OMC diamonds and will have them graded by a local lab, and see what they say, but I'd like to know any horror stories (if there are any) or any ideas on how to really show off the cut.

I'd like to make them into mans rings for me and the SO. I know that may change the style of ring to really show off the stones. TIA.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi Davi,

what about a 'false tension' setting? They give the same appearance of a tension setting, but have a 'cup' of metal holding the stone (not visible from the top) so the diamond doesn't end up with the same kind of pressure.

I think the only difference between setting an OEC / OMC and a modern diamond would be the extent of the old cut's damage (if any), of course its clarity grade, and whether the shape is out of round..

Perhaps best to email one of the pro's such as Gelin & Abaci and make a query - I had to email them recently for something else (I wasn't looking to buy) and they were very helpful and nice.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Arjuna. I haven't received my OEC's yet, so I'll have to have the clarity graded, but I like the idea of the false tension setting, Much less to worry about. THanks

gemcuts

Rough_Rock
could someone please post pics of 'false tension setting?' really love tension settings, but this is something i have never heard.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results