shape
carat
color
clarity

What percentage of 2ct+ SI2 diamonds are eye clean?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
first of all, I have found this a really interesting and informative discussion

But for the purposes of conversation, let's say it's 30%.
In my mind, even if the number is lower, that's still not a reason top discourage buyers offhand.

How many diamonds are "ideal" cut by PS standards?
If the number is low ( it is), does that mean we should discourage folks from looking for them?

I have to disagree here. It is relatively straightforward to find an 'ideal' cut by PS standards and relatively difficult to find an eye-clean SI2. So even if the numbers of both are low, one is much more easily obtainable.

cara

Ideal_Rock
Rockdiamond said:
Cara- the reason I feel the subject is important is the frequency of dissuasion.
I am not suggesting people recommend SI2 diamonds to everyone- rather that bias against SI2 does exist- and possibly needlessly in many cases.
Even if we look at your response:
Cara said:
But some people have had a harder time with SI2s. Maybe they are pickier or have better vision. Or don't want to wait months to find the magic eyeclean SI2 that meets their other requirements.
Eye clean Si2's are not magic, and don't necessarily take months to find.
Note the rest of my statement: the magic eyeclean SI2 that meets their other requirements.

If the other requirements are hard enough on their own, it can take months! I was thinking specifically of several psers that were searching for eyeclean SI2s, but also had requirements like a specific color and size and vendor (b/c they were upgrading!) and of course cut standards. Yes, throwing 'eyeclean SI2' on top of all those other requirements can make the task more difficult, especially in the larger sizes, and the search CAN take months. Heck, the search for a stone in general can take months, SI2 or not, depending on the specific requirements.

If anything, the examples I was thinking of when I wrote that do not support my supposed anti-SI2 bias. I made that statement thinking of people that *were* searching for an eyeclean SI2 and ultimately found stones that they were happy with in that clarity range. But not all people will be happy engaging in such a search, or their 'eyeclean' and 'mindclean' standards will make it harder for them than people with a different standard.

You have this theory (people are biased against SI2s) and are trying to scrape together data to support it rather than looking at the whole of what I wrote.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
slg47 said:
first of all, I have found this a really interesting and informative discussion

But for the purposes of conversation, let's say it's 30%.
In my mind, even if the number is lower, that's still not a reason top discourage buyers offhand.

How many diamonds are "ideal" cut by PS standards?
If the number is low ( it is), does that mean we should discourage folks from looking for them?

I have to disagree here. It is relatively straightforward to find an 'ideal' cut by PS standards and relatively difficult to find an eye-clean SI2. So even if the numbers of both are low, one is much more easily obtainable.

Great point.
If they were in a mall, it might prove to be impossible, but if someone was here on PS, finding a "super ideal" is not all that difficult.

Cara- I'm sure it does take some shoppers longer than others to find what they want- not only in the regard of SI2.
If it's a trade up situation, it does make it a lot more difficult as shoppers only have one vendor to choose from.

In terms of my experience in reading posts, that is my experience.
I see it written a lot.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results