shape
carat
color
clarity

Losing 30 minutes of sleep a day stinks

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to update from my time difference sleep help post that got lost in the transition to the new site.

If you hadn't seen it, when we moved we learned we are unexpectedly in the central time zone, so an hour earlier than we were in the eastern. Ds really struggled with the transition. Before the move, he went to bed at 6:30 pm and woke up around 6:15-6:30 AM most days.

The first few days we were in a hotel, and he wasn't napping well at all. I put him to bed at 5:30 the first night, and he was up at 5 the next day. I stretched him till 6 the next 2 nights, but both mornings he was up at 5.

When we finally got to our house, we let him CIO in the morning. The first morning he was up at 5 and cried until I went in to get him at close to 6. The second morning he cried off and on for that hour as well. The third morning, he cried for a bit, then fell back asleep and woke at 5:45 and I went in.

Now he's going to bed at 6:30 and no longer waking up at 5, but he is waking at about 5:50 consistently. He no longer cries when he wakes up, but plays in his crib, plays with his seahorse and blankie, cruises around, talks to himself etc. I leave him in there until he does start to cry, which is around 6:10/6:15, and try to wait to feed him until 6:30, but he's just not sleeping any later. So we're both getting about 30 minutes less sleep total than we used to, and it really does stink!

At this point I don't feel comfortable making him CIO when he starts to cry at 6:15 because at that point he really seems up for the day, so I've just resigned myself that his and my new wake time is 5:50. It's a lot better than 5, that's for sure, but I'm surprised at how much I miss that last little bit of sleep I used to get. And if it's really affecting me, I'm guessing it's contributing to the fact that he's been a bit more fussy and easily frustrated during the day as well.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sabine I feel your pain...the mornings when J doesn't sleep as long or changes his routine I am like WHAT WHAT WHAT esp since I am working and every extra bit of sleep seems to count ! At least he is going down at 6:30 now...I'd stick with the routine and maybe he will eventually even out..it's still only been about 2 weeks total right? Anyway hope he goes back to the regularly programmed schedule but think positive, at least it's not 5am or 4am or 3am etc!! :naughty:

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Do you have blackout curtains for his room? (or does that not matter?)

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Kyle goes through phases of waking up 30 minutes early for a week, then 30 minutes late for a week, etc. Since it hasn't been too long in the new place, just keep up with what you're doing and maybe he'll settle back down to the old routine in a couple weeks. He's probably still exploring his new home and is excited to get up for the day and find new boxes to play in :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results