shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie questions: Ideal-scope & Jeweller help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AlwaysLearning

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I've been floating around the forum for a few weeks now. It's such a fabulous educational tool and so much less intimidating than walking into a store.

I've just started my search for the perfect e-ring and have some rather basic questions:

1. I've just ordered my Ideal-scope kit. Should be arriving any day now. Very excited
1.gif
But I have a question as to how it works. I've read a few sites that tell me that diamonds are cut to return light from the top of the stone and not from the bottom. That's why bezel, tension, and rubbed over settings don't detract from the diamond's performance. I was just wonder then... Why do we backlight the diamond when looking through the Ideal-scope?

Just thinking out aloud. Wouldn't it make sense to look at the diamond through the pavillion since the light source would enter through the top and not pass out the bottom?

I know this sounds really dumb. I was just wondering how it worked. I guess I can experiment when it arrives...

2. Has anyone had any experience trying to order rings from Japan (I'm in NYC)? I remember Snufkin mentioned some places a while back but they haven't responded to my emails. I thought maybe I wasn't looking in the right place. The translations through babelfish don't really work out quite right either. While I feel like I could save some money doing it this way, I'm a little concerned about asking someone to send an off-the-shelf setting for a diamond they've never seen before as well as doing business across country, cultural, and language divides.

The reason I asked #2 is because I'm almost completely sold on getting a Niwaka ring. I can't seem to find any other rings like these here in the US.

3. But this (and many other) designer jewellers insist upon their own diamonds. It seems that if you want their ring, you have to get their diamond. It seems like such a waste. Is this the only way? I'm not interested in knocking their designs off (hence the visit to the Japanese websites and question #2), but I feel like I'm really limiting myself and being probably paying too much because my choice of ring is determining my choice of diamond. Is there another way?

I hope these questions make sense. Brevity was never my strong suit either. Thanks in advance.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Part of your question was:
"1. I've just ordered my Ideal-scope kit. Should be arriving any day now. Very excited But I have a question as to how it works. I've read a few sites that tell me that diamonds are cut to return light from the top of the stone and not from the bottom. That's why bezel, tension, and rubbed over settings don't detract from the diamond's performance. I was just wonder then... Why do we backlight the diamond when looking through the Ideal-scope?"
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
REPLY:
The lighting is from the back for TWO reasons. FIrst, the light reflects off the pink cone which is above the diamond and throws colored light into the top of the stone which we would hope comes back to your eye and pink and red light proving it is a very efficient performing, mirror-like diamond. Many are not. Ideal cuts are. The black arrows are the reflections of the darkness of your eye.

Secondly, any white light from below that transmits directly to your eye is "leakage". This is where the diamond is not mirror-like, but more like a window. This means less light return, lower efficiency. This describes a less than "ideal" situation.

Its simple, but important. You eye can discriminate brilliancy after it is "trained", but without a simple tool like the I-S, you can make a big mistake very easily.
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I leave the other parts of your question to those who may have a good reply. I know very little about getting a foreign designed mounting imported or ordered. Maybe one of the vendors here will have a connection for you.....

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Hi Always,

I found an NY address for a store on their website. Have you tried contacting them there?

464 BROOME STREET, SOHO, NEW YORK, NY 10013
TEL: 212-941-5410 FAX: 212-941-0290

Their rings are absolutely beautiful.

AlwaysLearning

Rough_Rock
Thanks David! I get it
1.gif
Can't wait to have a go myself.

Thanks Gale. Yeah, I've been down to visit their store already. But I remember a thread that had similar designs but supposedly cheaper overseas. But the user (Snufkin) hasn't been active since 2002 so I figured I'd throw it out to the general audience. I guess if no one has done it, it can't be a terribly good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results