shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting Question for jeweler experts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zoobiedo

Shiny_Rock
I saw a setting that both my husband and I liked that was very reasonable and was at Jared''s. I am purchasing a stone from the internet. The only problem with the setting is that the head is for a .50 marquise stone and mine will be 1.25. I know they can change the head but I fear that the 1.25 will overlap the side stones in the setting which are small marquise. Jared''s said they can add a little gold on the side of the head (bridge?) to widen the area so that the main stone won''t impose on the stones in the setting. Since I know nothing about how this works I am wondering if this is true or if that would be a problem and I should not consider this setting. Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
zoobiedo,

Can you post a picture of the mounting? In many cases this is a perfectly reasonable plan but it will depend on the details of the design. This may cause difficulty if there is a 'fitter' band that you will be wearing with it but otherwise it isn't usually a problem.

Neil Beaty, GG
www.gemlab.us

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is possible that Jared's could alter their mounting to fit. One must be aware of the possibility that the work won't be perfectly done. As a consumer you need to look at the finished job RIGHT AT THE TIME YOU ACCEPT IT AT THE STORE. You need to go over the entire ring and be sure there are no pits, breaks, solder bubbles, good polish, etc, BEFORE you accept it. Once you buy it and leave the store a lot of the responsibility for any future issue will rest with you as they have your money and you said you approved.

It is also possible that this mounting won't fit quite as nicely as one made properly to fit right in the first place.
Maybe you need a more custom made item. Possibly somewhere in your area does this work in-house. The price may be quite competitive with a chain operation, too.

Do all of this BEFORE making an impulsive choice. Think how this style will work with a wedding ring later on, as well.

zoobiedo

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Neil and Dave. I had a conversation with Neil about this today and we came up with a plan to address the potential problem (Neil will be doing my appraisal). I have also contemplated having a custom setting made by Whiteflash for this stone as well but the price of the setting I asked you about was too good to pass up as it is a discontinued setting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results