shape
carat
color
clarity

Let Me Ask A Dumb Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Zeppelin

Rough_Rock
Is there some point in the ratings of a rock where it really just becomes academic that it''s this clarity or color instead of another? Are you really just paying to know you bought a technically better rock even though it may look no better to the naked eye. Is there a consensus to how low you can go on the 3 non-size C''s and a rock will still look like a flawless-D-ideal to the average person (or girlfriend) on the street?

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Sure...some people have SI clarity stones that are "eye clean." If your stone is eye clean, to an observer, it could be an SI stone or a VS stone or an IF stone. Eye clean is eye clean...depending upon the acuity of the eye, that is!

On color, the D, E and F stones are considered colorless. Most people here can begin to detect a hint of color at about H or I. Again, it depends upon the acuity of the eye observing the color.

As for cut, the general consensus here is go with as good of a cut as you can afford. It will make the stone look cleaner and brighter and whiter.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
G/VS2 and better is a safe bet. Go for the best make you can find.

Lower than that and you start getting out of the "D/Flawless" look, if you know what I mean.

Zeppelin

Rough_Rock
Thanks Rich. My guess was H/VS2...so I guess I was close.

MelanieC

Shiny_Rock
I have an H/VS2, and I wanted a G/VS2. I am VERY happy with my H and its VERY white! I just wanted to throw a perspective for the H out there. Actually, I will probably only get H/I (possibly J's) in the future unless of course I can't find what I am looking for.

Also, now that I have a VS2 I would have gone with an EYE CLEAN SI1 in hindsight.

nicknomo

Shiny_Rock
The color grading scale for diamonds is quite inspecific. I wish that there was some decimal rating available by machine analysis.

I have a borderline G/H VS2/SI1 stone that was graded H Si1 by AGS. I've gotten mixed appraisals which seems to show just how borderline it is. If you think about it, a border line H-I SI1-SI2 could have the same grading...

For the most part, I have seen "I" color stones that really didn't exhibit a noticeable color difference face up when compared to other colors side by side. However, color sensitivity has a lot to do with this. You could potentially notice color differences between a "D" and an "F". Obviously, her eyes matter the most.

I'd say for most people though, G and better stones are very hard to distinguish between... at least to me. I grabbed my "H" because I couldn't tell the difference...

For going eye clean, it's the same thing. SI1 on a 1 carat may have visible inclusions. Vs2 is usually eye clean on a carat, but I've heard that this isn't always the case. I imagine that you'd need sharp eyes to tell the difference.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes. Don't get pent up with letters of the alphabet and numbers. Once you begin to look at diamonds you will rapidly find that in round diamonds H and up pretty much look like D/E. In fancy shapes there is more variation. Some larger fancy shaped diamonds begin to show a zone or two zones of tinting at F color. This is shape and weight dependent along with cutting and faceting style.

I never saw a VS1 that looked different than a flawless stone to the naked eye except for larger emerald cuts where even a VS1 inclusion may be eye visible. For the most part with round diamonds, SI1 and up is pretty safe for looking like a flawless diamond.

There are excellent reasons to buy diamonds of higher than visibly fine quality. It is a matter of your budget, your personal taste, your mindset, your pride, your cultural influences, your beliefs, what someone else wants as a gift, what their family expects, and many more good reasons. Some or many of these good reasons are totally irrational, but who says we can't be a bit crazy with our personal choices?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
"Lower than that and you start getting out of the "D/Flawless" look, if you know what I mean."

I know exactly what you mean Rich!!!
9.gif
While I haven't "had" a D IF, I've certainly had a "F IF" before....hehehehehe
11.gif

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
Although wouldn't you also have to take into consideration the shape as well? I have been hearing/reading that very well cut rounds can face up very white at g/h/i, but that fancy shapes show more color. And the step cuts (emeralds, asschers) show color more, and also show inclusions more. So, while eye clean is eye clean, I think it is more difficult to find an eyeclean SI1 in a step cut.

Edited to say this was posting at the same time as the above post!

mostlywatching

Rough_Rock
A bit more on fancies, I've been shopping emerald cuts and I've seen a lot of VS2 and even VS1 stones (around one carat) that weren't eye clean.
As for color, I'm getting a G emerald cut and it looks plenty white to me. However, I looked at some H and I stones as well and was amazed at how much the yellow was visible after you left that "colorless" range. There is a lot less room to move with fancy cuts.

But I think they're worth it.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Eye clean is a subjective term!!! I just returned a BEAUTIFUL princess vs2 that was not eye clean to me... but while my hubby could see the inclusions sometimes, he felt it was 'eye clean' !!!

mostlywatching

Rough_Rock
Absolutely eye clean is subjective. Perhaps the graders were off that day because a huge black line in the middle of the table is not eye clean. Even without my glasses I could see a fuzzy black blob. (we were NOT impressed with this b&m, btw)

Lower clarity is a great way to save money. It just didn't work out that way for us with my emerald.

Carmel

Shiny_Rock
----------------
Is there a consensus to how low you can go on the 3 non-size C's and a rock will still look like a flawless-D-ideal to the average person (or girlfriend) on the street?
----------------

...this is not to say that your girlfriend is just some average street person, I hope...
2.gif

Kidding aside, I started out searching with impeccable specs and I am now considering an H color stone – I think with time you’ll gain more confidence in what level you’ll be agreeable to. My belief is that most of the PS members have excellent opinions – so stay open minded to what they are suggesting. Good luck.

Zeppelin

Rough_Rock
...this is not to say that your girlfriend is just some average street person, I hope...
2.gif

----------------

Haha. She is definitely anything but average. She's just no gemologist :razz:

Oh, and I should have specified earlier -- I am only really interested in round, ideal-cut diamonds. So, I guess I was only really curious about color & clarity, which is what it seems most of the conversation is revolving around.

Thanks everyone for the very informative posts so far.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/3/2004 2:00:37 PM MelanieC wrote:

Actually, I will probably only get H/I (possibly J's) in the future unless of course I can't find what I am looking for.

Also, now that I have a VS2 I would have gone with an EYE CLEAN SI1 in hindsight. ----------------

Well said.

Audrey Hepburn

Rough_Rock
Color is also dependent on what cut you desire - many well cut rounds can face up very white in the H/I color range, and the only tint you may see will be from the sides. However in fancy cuts, like radiants, asschers, and princess cuts, will start to show some tint in H/I because they are inherently "deeper" cuts. It's the same reason that radiant cuts are often used for fancy colored stones (yellow, pink) - the cut enhances the depth of the color!

If you can get an eye-clean SI1, you can really get a bargain on some stones. An Si1 can br great in any "brilliant" cut (Round briliant, radiant, princess, even cushion) however, in "step cut" stones (emerald, asscher) I wouldn't go lower than a VS2 - these cuts are more unforgiving when it comes to clarity.

The average person on the street won't be able to tell a G/Vs2 from a D/IF. Then again, the average person on the street buys their diamond from a B&M and pays way too much for what they get. Aren't you glad you found us?
9.gif

-AH

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 8/2/2004 9:16:32 PM Zeppelin wrote:

Is there some point in the ratings of a rock where it really just becomes academic that it's this clarity or color instead of another? Are you really just paying to know you bought a technically better rock even though it may look no better to the naked eye. Is there a consensus to how low you can go on the 3 non-size C's and a rock will still look like a flawless-D-ideal to the average person (or girlfriend) on the street?----------------

Zeppelin
even if i had a lot of money i wouldn't go better than a G VS1 (for RB),but it must be a top ideal cut a G VS1 is as good as a D flawless to my eyes. of course if there is a grade for the color "A" along with a super-flawless clarity grade", i'm sure there would also be buyers for them. there is always somebody out there wanting to own the best.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results