shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS "DQD" vs. "DQR" Breakdown (Literally & Figuratively)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Carmel

Shiny_Rock
I thought I had the jargon down…but I just realized that AGS has two different styles of certifications. One style called the “Diamond Quality Report” (DQR), and the other called the “Diamond Quality Document” (DQD).

Per the official AGS Lab website, the DQR does not identify the cut grade of the diamond. Therefore, I’m left to wonder if this style of cert is used when the diamond is not considered to be an “Ideal” cut. Basically, I’d like to know why one type of cert would be issued over the other. Also per the AGS Lab site, polish and symmetry graded as “Ideal” on a DQD is synonymous with polish and symmetry graded as “Excellent” on a DQR. So, can a diamond exhibit Ideal/Excellent polish and symmetry (which I thought were categories under the cut grade), yet still not be considered a proportionally “Ideal” or “Excellent” cut stone?

Will an authority figure please advise? Thanks.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Authority Figure REPLIES:: AHEM!
read.gif
appl.gif
wavey.gif

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
AGS grades some non-ideal cuts and then dealers may well prefer a more GIA/EGL sort of approach. No one wants to see "bad" news on their diamond report.

Also, for fancy shapes, AGS does not make a cut grade.

You can have Ideal/Excellent Polish and Symmetry on a badly proportioned diamond. It isn't common, but it could happen. You could also have an AGS 0, Ideal Cut with less than Ideal Polish and Symmetry. This would then not be the so-called AGS 000 cut, only AGS 0.

Hope that helps..

NDIrishdogg

Rough_Rock
----------------
You could also have an AGS 0, Ideal Cut with less than Ideal Polish and Symmetry. This would then not be the so-called AGS 000 cut, only AGS 0.----------------

I thought I read somewhere that the three zeros in reference to AGS000 referred to cut(ideal), color(D), and clarity(IF). Does the reference in fact only refer to cut? I was under the impression that any stone with ideal cut, polish, and symmetry was just AGS0, but not triple zero. Is that not the case? Just curious...

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm not sure I would qualify as an authority figure, particular after a post from David, but I'll do my best to clarify.

AGS will only describe a stone 000 if it is D-IF-0 round brilliant. To get a zero cut grade from them requires that both the symmetry and polish be excellent, among other things. This is why a diamond can have a Sarin report with a zero cut and still got get a zero from AGS. In the marketplace, the dealers often refer to a stone as a triple-zero, instead of just a zero, in order to be more clear about this. It's not an accurate usage of the AGS grading scale but it can be meaningful anyway as long as both sides understand what is being discussed.

DQD's are a little bit cheaper and as has been pointed out, no one wants to buy a report listing a bad cut grade. If AGS didn't offer this report, they would simply lose that business to other labs.

Neil Beaty, GG
www.gemlab.us

Carmel

Shiny_Rock
Ok…let me see now…I know the simple answer to this is to ask the vendor about the AGS cert – but I won’t be able to contact them until tomorrow. Therefore, I’m trying to figure out the missing piece to this equation:

If the stone is referred to as AGS graded RB H&A with Excellent Polish and Symmetry and scores a 1.1 on the HCA (Depth 61.7%, Table 57%, Crown Angle 34.4 degrees, and Pavilion Angle 40.7 degrees), which is it more likely to be ~ a regular nothing-special cut or possibly an AGS “Ideal” cut? I hate to think so, but I’m concerned that the terminology alone is a give-away that it’s probably not an “Ideal” cut. And if it’s not considered an “Ideal” cut, do the specs sound good enough to pursue anyway?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A true AGS 000 is D-IF and Ideal Cut

A diamond touted as AGS 000 by nearly every seller is Ideal cut, Ideal Polish and Ideal Symmetry regardless of the color and clarity. Like I said, "So-called AGS 000".

A true AGS 000 D-IF and Ideal is not often looked for by consumers, but the modern version AGS 000 of any color ancd clarity is very popular....

I wonder why?
angryfire.gif

Carmel

Shiny_Rock
Ok - I understand all the literal differences between AGS0 referring to Ideal Polish/Symmetry/Proportions (all referring to the Cut Grade), and AGS000 referring to Ideal Cut Grade, Ideal Color Grade (D) and Ideal Clarity Grade (IF). . . but that's all a bit beyond my original concern. The stone I am considering is an H VS2, so I obviously know that it's not an actual AGS000. What I don't know, since I haven't seen the cert, is what the cut is graded - or whether it's even graded at all (which I believe the cut is not graded on an AGS DQR). Maybe I mis-stated my original question to begin with.

I hope I have a much more simple concern...that is: If the polish and symmetry are Excellent but the cut is not Ideal, then what is the cut rated? And, just confirming, can a non-Ideal cut stone still score well on the HCA (this one is 1.1)? And, moreover...would I even be able to tell the difference between an Ideal and a non-Ideal cut that scores well on the HCA?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 8/3/2004 2:53:39 PM Carmel wrote:

Ok…let me see now…I know the simple answer to this is to ask the vendor about the AGS cert – but I won’t be able to contact them until tomorrow. Therefore, I’m trying to figure out the missing piece to this equation:

If the stone is referred to as AGS graded RB H&A with Excellent Polish and Symmetry and scores a 1.1 on the HCA (Depth 61.7%, Table 57%, Crown Angle 34.4 degrees, and Pavilion Angle 40.7 degrees), which is it more likely to be ~ a regular nothing-special cut or possibly an AGS “Ideal” cut? I hate to think so, but I’m concerned that the terminology alone is a give-away that it’s probably not an “Ideal” cut. And if it’s not considered an “Ideal” cut, do the specs sound good enough to pursue anyway?
----------------

carmel,
let me give this a try
yes, this stone is in the ags 0 cut range.
no, they will not grade this an ags ideal 0- because the symmetry and the polish is not graded ideal.
as for the h&a, ags does not give a heart and arrow grade. it will say on the cert is whatever is inscriped on the girdle of the stone.another word you can have h&a inscribed even if there is no signs of H&A on the stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results