shape
carat
color
clarity

Med Ins Question re: Delivery

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just a random question that''s probably insurance provider specific, but my insurance states that it covers 48 hours inpatient stay for vaginal delivery and I think 72 or 96 hours for c/s. What if you go into the hospital and you''re in labor (vag delivery) for 40 hours? Does that mean they only pay for you to stay in and recover for 8?

Morgie44

Brilliant_Rock
I could be wrong, but I believe that it wouldn''t be until you are moved out of L&D and into an actual room because L&D rooms aren''t actually considered inpatient rooms.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Ditto. I think it means 48 hours after the birth, not including the birth.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok cool. Thanks ladies!

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto the other two posters. My time didn''t start until after delivery; and then my insurance would pay for more days if ordered by the doctor. My doctor did end up ordering me 24 extra hours and the insurance company paid for it.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2010 3:05:49 PM
Author: qtiekiki
Ditto. I think it means 48 hours after the birth, not including the birth.

That is what I would guess too. I had a VB but was in the hospital for 4 days after her birth (5 days total). They covered everything so don''t worry if your medically NEED to stay longer.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Confirming that applies from the point your child is born, not length of labor. That''s where people are either thrilled or disappointed for giving birth right around 11:30pm or 12:15am depending on if they wanted to go home "early" or stay late.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My insurance is specific that it''s two NIGHTS. So, if the baby is born before midnight, I''m basically there for 3 days. If he''s born after midnight, I''m there for just 2 days.

Like this:

Baby born Monday 12:01 am - leave hospital at 10 am Thursday
Baby born that same Monday at 11:59pm - leave hospital at 10am on Wednesday

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Hi HH, yes it is two nights after you deliver. For example I went in to the hospital after my water broke at 3pm on a Wednesday, and he was born at 4:30am on Thursday. I then spent two nights and came home on Saturday. Hope that helped!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yea mine is specific by hours, not days/nights...

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Hi HH, mine also stated 48 hours, but when I called my insurance company they told me that obviously they wouldn''t be sending me home at like 3am or something. So it ends up translating to two nights. I was also concerned about this as I got close to my due date, but it all worked out. In my case, I actually could have went home early because I was recovering well, but my son had some jaundice so I preferred to stay there the extra night since it was covered you know? When are you due? My best advice is to try to get as much rest as you can before you come home while you have help in the hospital. And if you plan on nursing, meet with your lactation consultant as many times as you can before you leave so that you feel comfortable with it when you leave. It will just make it easier when you get home! So exciting....

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
HH, In MA you get 48 hrs after delivery if you want the home visit by a nurse. You can stay longer if you don''t want the nurse, but you prob want the nurse. She comes to your house just as you are really nursing/recovering and all those lovely hospital nurses are no longer there.

PS: I was admitted at 5pm on Tuesday and delivered Thursday at noon. It doesn''t matter how long delivery lasts, oh and post-partum care is still fully covered under the maternity laws, so the same stuff, like I don''t have a copay on any maternity stuff, so that remained. I know your insurance is wonky, good luck with this nonsense.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ours also specified nights i believe. i would ask your hospital to clarify for you the next time you go in (usually there is an admitting department or a labor and delivery admitting section) just to be sure, they can prob look you up or look up your insurance. mine said 2 nights i think, but we delivered at 2am and stayed the next night. they said we could have stayed one more(J was jaundiced), but we wanted to get home since the Dr gave him the ok.

i didn't mind the hospital stay at all EXCEPT that they would come in and check me every time a nurse shift changed, so about 2-3x a day. and then the dr would come and check me too. it was really hard to get any 'rest' and there was never any privacy. that is really why we left after one night--it was easier at home.

and check if your hospital offers a newborn lounge or anything like that--it is where you go after you are discharged (aka 24 hours later) to have them weigh and check the baby and if you are bf'ing, they have LC's. it was great. we went 2-3x the first week and then once more the next week.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results