shape
carat
color
clarity

Parent PSA: Perils of Lithium Cell Batteries

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
we read this article in the NYT last week and it really struck home. J is still a bit of a ways from being mobile but this is something i never would have thought about.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/31/for-very-young-peril-lurks-in-lithium-cell-batteries/

we are def going to check all our small remotes (fan remotes, ipod/bose remotes etc)... for these and get rid of them. it also makes us think about random other things with babyproofing we wouldn''t have thought about.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
39.gif
that is terrible. My heart breaks for that family
7.gif

The things you have to worry about when you have another life depending on you...unbelievable. We still have a ton of baby proofing to do. We didn''t anticipate all of the things S would get into or take interest in. I''m definitely going to look out for those batteries. I know we use them in the living room fan remote.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
I had read about this as well. So sad and so preventable. We checked all of our devices around the house and none of them use those lithium batteries but now it is something I will always be on the lookout for.

Thanks for posting this, Mara. It''s one more thing to worry about but you can''t be too safe when you have little children.

lili

Ideal_Rock
that is so sad.
thanks for posting.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
it was heartbreaking to read... only 2 hours and already damage is done. couldn''t even imagine trying to troubleshoot and never imagining what the problem is.

babyproofing... i don''t even want to think about it, i feel like our house is SO not child-friendly. can i just put him in a self-contained bubble til he''s 15?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know what, it''s not just babies either. We just learned a couple of years ago that our oldest daughter, now 22, used to swallow coins (nickels and quarters) when she was already in school! We will definitely watch out for this sort of thing when we have grandchildren. I swear I had no idea my daughter was doing the coin thing at all. Imagine if it was batteries. You never know what a kid will do!

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for posting the link...I had no idea either.
40.gif

Another serious danger for small kids are strong magnets. I saw a TV news program awhile ago, about a young boy/toddler who also died after swallowing several strong magnets and as they moved through his system, they were pulled together and actually penetrated the walls of his intestines. Very tragic and sad as well. These strong magnets were sold for a time, as toys for older kids...not sure if they are still being sold, but good to know about too.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yup re: Small objects...my sisters both stuck items up their noses (a bean and a penny) and who knows what they (and i!) may have eaten as well when we were little.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Oh goodness, that is so horrible. I immediately forwarded that email to all the parents I know
8.gif

ETA: They're even in children's books that talk.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2010 2:22:51 PM
Author: lilyfoot
Oh goodness, that is so horrible. I immediately forwarded that email to all the parents I know
8.gif

ETA: They're even in children's books that talk.
Yes and also those big greeting cards that sing songs or talk to you... Kids LOVE those... we had one and my cousin's daughter would always want to play with it.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for posting this Mara. Stories like this make me so sad, but it''s good to know. Never would have thought about all the ones we have around the house. My mom always sends those voice greeting cards to the boys, and I let Andrew carry it around not thinking twice. I''m putting them all up in my closet now!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results