shape
carat
color
clarity

Small pink diamond or pink diamond halo ring

sweetpigtail

Rough_Rock
I need you experts'' help!!! Sorry for the long post.

Recently my beloved husband has agreed to let me get another ring to wear instead of my actual engagement ring. Background: We got married almost a year ago and I was very fortunated to receive a heirloom engagement ring with the center stone of 3.52 carat H VS2. I love my e-ring to bits, but I just feel uncomfortable wearing it daily. I am from an Asian country and I work as a civil servant, which is not that highly paid. More to that, due to my work, I travel very often for meetings and often to places that are not very safe. So for most of the time, I just wear my diamond eternity band and keep my e-ring in the safe. My husband often annoyed by this because most of his friends'' wife wear their 2+ carat e-ring on the daily basis, and often when we bumped into his friends accidentally, I would be the only person without the proper bling (kinda like a social status thing). I do love blings... but I also don''t want to send out the worng signal at my workplace.

Now, since it is almost our 1 year anniversary, my husband and I decided that it is a good time to solve this problem. We agreed to find me another ring that is not too blingy and at the same time doesn''t make him feel bad in front of his friends. So we are considering 2 options. Option 1: to get me a small, i.e. 0.6 - 0.8 carat pink diamond and a nice setting and Option 2: to get me a 1 - 1.4 carat white diamond and do a pink diamond halo. The reason we are going for pink diamond is because I love love love PINK. But I do not want to spend so much $$$ on a big pink diamond as we are planing on having a kid sometimes next year.

What do you think would be a better choice?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d grab this pink.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, what is your budget? A nice 1-1.4ct RB would cost under $10k depending on the specs you choose whereas a nice pink like you want would cost $50k according to Kenny''s link!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, you can get some beautiful natural pinks in that size range for much less.

$4,500

$8,000

Then again, I wouldn't mind this beauty. $88,200

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny... those are just YUUUUUMMMYYYY
30.gif
18.gif

sweetpigtail, I like the idea of a pink diamond in a gorgeous solitaire, particularly because you want to 'scale down' so to speak. I'm just thinking if you are a bit uncomfortable wearing your current Ering, would you run into the same problem with a 1.4ct-ish diamond, plus halo? Of course a beautifully delicate and fine pink halo would look amazing
30.gif

sweetpigtail

Rough_Rock
Thanks Kenny and Dreamer... That diamond is so beautiful!!! But no... I am not looking to spend that much on this new ring. I am planning to spend somewhere between 12 - 13 K for the entire ring so I guess more realistically if I am going toward the pink diamond route, I would be looking at fancy light pink or fancy pink-brown, right? But if I am going for the whtie diamond with pink halo, I can get a better finger coverage and a more vibrant pink malee? Both sounds so yummy to me... I just can''t decide
30.gif

sweetpigtail

Rough_Rock
Ouh Kenny... I love love loveeeeeeeee that 0.73 orangy-pink Pear!!!

Dandi - you are right. Maybe a 1.4 carat with halo would still make me feel uncomfortable.
7.gif
But I saw it on Leon''s website and it just looks so irresistable!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2010 3:46:44 AM
Author: sweetpigtail
Ouh Kenny... I love love loveeeeeeeee that 0.73 orangy-pink Pear!!!

I also love the Orangy-Pink diamonds.
Some of them have a sweet apricot look, or a salmon hue.

Below is one of the most beautiful diamond colors I have ever seen.
Unfotunately it's sold.
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

I'll bet it sold fast; I didn't even see it come up in the NEW list.

Link

00orangypink.jpg

sweetpigtail

Rough_Rock
SillySweety - Thanks for the link, Sparkle_Blinded''s ring is absolutely gorgous!!! That is exactly what I want if I am going for the pink halo route! Ouh... I am dreaming now..
30.gif

Kenny - The salmon pink color is absolutely to die for. I think I love it better than the expensive purplish pink, which I guess is ver fortunate for my budget.
36.gif
Thanks for your help

SmallSparkle

Rough_Rock
I used Sparkle_Blinded's ring as inspiration for the ring i just gave my fiancee. if you are thinking of buying coloured diamonds i would recommend contacting www.fancydiamonds.net they have great customer service and if you are looking for melee, they have more than is listed on the website.

info on my ring can be found here

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
How about both?

Pink diamond and halo

Okay I know that is out of budget, but I just love that ring. In all honesty for your price, I would probably go for a pink halo. Though looking at a light pink with brown in it would probably be doable as well.

sweetpigtail

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 10:55:42 AM
Author: clgwli
How about both?

Pink diamond and halo

Okay I know that is out of budget, but I just love that ring. In all honesty for your price, I would probably go for a pink halo. Though looking at a light pink with brown in it would probably be doable as well.
clgwli - I have been eyeing that ring for quite a while!!!
30.gif
But it is way out of my budget... I guess I can just stare and admiring it...
7.gif

SmallSparkle - Your fiance''s ring is absolutely beautiful. Looking at her ring and other''s pink halo, I am really thinking maybe I should go the pink halo way.

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
I know isn''t it just gorgeous? If you were really hoping for a pink stone, I would contact any seller that you like the goods of (even if not in your budget or quite your taste) and see what they might be able to find for you. The yellow in my avatar was a stone that wasn''t listed on the DBL website. I was fully expecting to wait a while to have a stone I wanted, but he came back to me very quickly. Something three other stores couldn''t do
38.gif

You might get lucky and there may be things not listed in a database yet, or could be sourced if you want. I do like the pink halo on the colorless stone though. I think it''s worth it to get an idea from a seller(s) to see what you can get for your money. Good luck and be sure to post whenever you do find/decide on something!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2010 12:03:41 PM
If you were really hoping for a pink stone, I would contact any seller that you like the goods of (even if not in your budget or quite your taste) and see what they might be able to find for you. The yellow in my avatar was a stone that wasn't listed on the DBL website.

Also please do a careful search for posts made by vendors here.

One I would not support with my dollars if they were the last diamond vendor on earth no matter what goods they had.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
How much finger coverage would you feel comfortable with? I think that a 1.25ct diamond with a halo would face up about the size of an almost 3.5ct stone on your hand, especially from a distance,which might defeat the whole purpose of the new ring!

If you want to go the halo route I would keep the center stone under 1ct or around 1ct to make the whole thing more subtle, since that is partly your goal.

But if it were me I would look for the 0.70ct pink you want and set it into a delicate three stone with colorless sides
30.gif
It would look delicate and amazing.

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 12:33:11 PM
Author: kenny

Date: 6/22/2010 12:03:41 PM
If you were really hoping for a pink stone, I would contact any seller that you like the goods of (even if not in your budget or quite your taste) and see what they might be able to find for you. The yellow in my avatar was a stone that wasn't listed on the DBL website.

Also please do a careful search for posts made by vendors here.

One I would not support with my dollars if they were the last diamond vendor on earth no matter what goods they had.
Oh come on Kenny. Can you ever give it a rest? Just because you do not like them doesn't mean that they are bad.

You have made this obvious and I find it funny that the one vendor for color diamonds you seem to love doesn't even have a GIA grading on half the yellow stones they sell. I looked it up and crunched the numbers. I can do it again if you like, but I think it is crappy of you to put down a company but boast about another when you haven't bothered (from anything I can see) to even contact or buy from either of them. I am not about to bash another company, but I have many reasons for not choosing other vendors. And no, I am not a shill and never will be. I just get sick of the bashing of one person because they don't agree with looking for diamonds the way you do. In fact, I love his approach and his honesty so that won me over.

At least when I post good and bad about another company I can say I have looked through their goods, read countless reviews of them even outside of PS before pursuing a purchase.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just said to do your own homework.
A new poster should research their vendors.
The more posts a person reads about a vendor (including your supporting posts) the more they can form their own opinion.

And you may want to do searches yourself going back years and involving most of the most trusted pros on Rocky Talk.
Clearly I am not alone, as you imply.

... and how do you know I have not bought from fancydiamonds.net?
Believe it or not I do not post about all of my diamond purchases.

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know that you have. Do you not read my post where I said from what I can see? If you have, then I would love to hear of your experiences with them.

I am very much leary of them after contact and the lack of GIA grading. In addition I read reviews where the color isn''t always accurate and combine that with the lack of GIA grading, I really didn''t feel comfortable buying from them in large dollar amounts right off the bat. I would never say this "One I would not support with my dollars if they were the last diamond vendor on earth no matter what goods they had." about them though. That I find to be a scare tactic to keep others away from a company that has multiple wonderful reviews over the internet.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd never buy a diamond without a GIA or AGS report.

Poopooing a vendor that also sells diamonds without them could be seen as a scare tactic too.

Everyone is free to post whatever they want within PS rules.
Readers read everything and make up their own minds.

I won't censor you.
You won't censor me.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
what about something like this ring! (can be any shape you want in the center, but I LOVE the vibrant pinks with the rose gold!)

acebruin's fabulous ring!

ETA just clicked on that pinky-orangy pear link...that looks fabulous from the pictures!!!

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 1:22:52 PM
The more posts a person reads about a vendor (including your supporting posts) the more they can form their own opinion.

And you may want to do searches yourself going back years and involving most of the most trusted pros on Rocky Talk.

I didn''t see this before. And you are a fool to think I didn''t research back YEARS here and elsewhere on the internet. I never said you were alone either and I never implied that from what I can see. Some pros look for a diamond one way and others use other methods. that''s what I''ve found. Many here are numbers people, but many of those are round lovers. I am not so I have little use for charts and numbers.

Just because I haven''t been posting for years here doesn''t mean I am not well researched. I did quite a lot of that before I even had the cash to buy.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've never bought from DBL...never bought from fancydiamonds.net....in fact I've never bought a diamond (yet!
11.gif
)

But just wanted to say that I do read on rocky talky quite a bit to educate myself and while some vendors may side with the norm not all do...and well different opinions is what makes the world go round.
26.gif

Bashing a vendor (suggesting that someone research vendors can be said differently) at every single opportunity is just poor form, imo. I mean it gets old, we all got it long ago.
2.gif

/threadjack off
5.gif
Apologies to the OP

I would totally do a white diamond with a pink halo!!! I just love that Leon.
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2010 1:39:41 PM

I didn''t see this before. And you are a fool to think I didn''t research back YEARS here and elsewhere on the internet. I never said you were alone either and I never implied that from what I can see. Some pros look for a diamond one way and others use other methods. that''s what I''ve found. Many here are numbers people, but many of those are round lovers. I am not so I have little use for charts and numbers.
Just because I haven''t been posting for years here doesn''t mean I am not well researched. I did quite a lot of that before I even had the cash to buy.

You call me a fool?

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 1:34:38 PM
I''d never buy a diamond without a GIA or AGS report.

Poopooing a vendor that also sells diamonds without them could be seen as a scare tactic too.

Everyone is free to post whatever they want within PS rules.

I won''t censor you.
You won''t censor me.
I guess I fail to see how my explanation as to why I didn''t buy from them (no GIA report on the stones I was looking at) could be taken as a scare tactic. When others look at that site, I usually point out to make sure it is GIA graded and not IGI or in house. That is a major point for any colored stone over 1/2 carat. And I make a distinction with stones for a reason as well.

If it is a GIA graded stone, I am fine with them. Though I have three jewelers I use and can trust so I am not sure I have a need to buy from them now. I wouldn''t try to scare others away from them and I don''t'' think I have. Yes I spoke negatively about a stone someone posted a while ago, but so did pretty much everyone in that thread..

And with that I am sorry OP. I really should know better than to debate a few people on these issues.

I still think you should contact any vendors you like and see what they might have or be able to get that isn''t listed. I can''t speak for other companies, but I know I found one that was perfect for me and was not listed on their site, so you might get lucky. If not, the pink halo idea is fabulous!!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People vary a great deal.
Many do not like to learn, analyze, think etc.
They are not rational; they are emotional.
They go with feeling, emotion, gut reaction...
Nothing wrong with that.

A savvy vendor can capture a lot of customers by sticking his head in the sand when it comes to anything technical because good number of buyers do that too.
Nothing wrong with that.
People vary.

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 1:50:17 PM

Date: 6/22/2010 1:39:41 PM

I didn't see this before. And you are a fool to think I didn't research back YEARS here and elsewhere on the internet. I never said you were alone either and I never implied that from what I can see. Some pros look for a diamond one way and others use other methods. that's what I've found. Many here are numbers people, but many of those are round lovers. I am not so I have little use for charts and numbers.
Just because I haven't been posting for years here doesn't mean I am not well researched. I did quite a lot of that before I even had the cash to buy.

You call me a fool?
Only if you think I didn't research before buying
2.gif
If you take that as an attack, I am sorry, but geez, can we let this thread alone now for the sake of the OP?

ETA: There is nothing wrong with buying on emotion (love at first sight for example) and there is nothing wrong with buying on numbers either. As long as you love what you have and haven't over paid, you are in good shape IMO.

Since I won't add another post to this for the record I neither twisted your words intentionally NOR did I insult you. If you read me wrong that is your issue Kenny.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2010 1:55:52 PM
Date: 6/22/2010 1:34:38 PM
I'd never buy a diamond without a GIA or AGS report.
Everyone is free to post whatever they want within PS rules
I won't censor you.
You won't censor me.

I guess I fail to see how my explanation as to why I didn't buy from them (no GIA report on the stones I was looking at) could be taken as a scare tactic. When others look at that site, I usually point out to make sure it is GIA graded and not IGI or in house. That is a major point for any colored stone over 1/2 carat. And I make a distinction with stones for a reason as well.
If it is a GIA graded stone, I am fine with them. Though I have three jewelers I use and can trust so I am not sure I have a need to buy from them now. I wouldn't try to scare others away from them and I don't' think I have. Yes I spoke negatively about a stone someone posted a while ago, but so did pretty much everyone in that thread..
And with that I am sorry OP. I really should know better than to debate a few people on these issues.
I still think you should contact any vendors you like and see what they might have or be able to get that isn't listed. I can't speak for other companies, but I know I found one that was perfect for me and was not listed on their site, so you might get lucky. If not, the pink halo idea is fabulous!!!

You twist and distort my words so there is no point in responding to you .... or your personal insults.
Later!
35.gif

Readers can make up their own minds.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 2:59:10 AM
Author:sweetpigtail
I need you experts'' help!!! Sorry for the long post.

Recently my beloved husband has agreed to let me get another ring to wear instead of my actual engagement ring. Background: We got married almost a year ago and I was very fortunated to receive a heirloom engagement ring with the center stone of 3.52 carat H VS2. I love my e-ring to bits, but I just feel uncomfortable wearing it daily. I am from an Asian country and I work as a civil servant, which is not that highly paid. More to that, due to my work, I travel very often for meetings and often to places that are not very safe. So for most of the time, I just wear my diamond eternity band and keep my e-ring in the safe. My husband often annoyed by this because most of his friends'' wife wear their 2+ carat e-ring on the daily basis, and often when we bumped into his friends accidentally, I would be the only person without the proper bling (kinda like a social status thing). I do love blings... but I also don''t want to send out the worng signal at my workplace.

Now, since it is almost our 1 year anniversary, my husband and I decided that it is a good time to solve this problem. We agreed to find me another ring that is not too blingy and at the same time doesn''t make him feel bad in front of his friends. So we are considering 2 options. Option 1: to get me a small, i.e. 0.6 - 0.8 carat pink diamond and a nice setting and Option 2: to get me a 1 - 1.4 carat white diamond and do a pink diamond halo. The reason we are going for pink diamond is because I love love love PINK. But I do not want to spend so much $$$ on a big pink diamond as we are planing on having a kid sometimes next year.

What do you think would be a better choice?
Based on your budget and size preference you will likely only be able to get the lightest of fancy pink colors (which may often look washed out and colorless anyway) and even that may be difficult in any reasonable size.

You may consider Option 3: A Pink Sapphire (Examples: http://www.webgraphicsengineering.com/Gemstones/detail.cfm?zNum=5687 or http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Pink/P495/Cushion/stoneid=P495 or http://www.webgraphicsengineering.com/Gemstones/detail.cfm?zNum=5665) with a diamond halo around it or without.

Otherwise I''d say Option 2: getting a colorless diamond with a pink diamond melee halo will get you a lot more bling for your budget.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results