shape
carat
color
clarity

newbie question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aj55

Rough_Rock
i have recently started shopping for an engagement ring, doing research getting to understand all that goes into diamonds. i came across this stone:

ags 000, color: f, clarity: si1, carat: .776, Canadian Diamond asking $3800 US

measurement: 5.87 - 5.90 * 3.66

table: 55%
crown angle: 35 degrees
pavillion angle: 40.7 degrees
girdle thickness: medium
culet size: pointed

my question is how can i tell by the measurements if this is a good stone. Still trying to get the hang of depth vs. diameter and the rest of the measurements. Any advice would be awesome.

thanks,

Arif

MelanieC

Shiny_Rock
Hi there,

What is the depth %? You can then check the HCA Cut advisor on this website. I picked 62% depth and put in those numbers and came up with 1.2 TIC Ex, Ex, Ex & VG, and 1.1 TIC with 61% and get this......with 60% it gets a 1.00 Ex, Ex, Ex EX!!! I haven't seen excellent in spread yet!

Now I am curious to see what your numbers are. It sounds like a georgeous stone. Not sure about the price since it's canadian. I know Canadian is much more than US.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Just a newbie myself... so I will look forward to others' opinions. It seems to me that the crown angle is a little steep - but the pavilion angle is good. I was going to run it through the HCA for you, but you don't have a total depth % listed. Do you have that? Also, once you get that, you can run it through AGA's DIY cut grader.

http://www.gemappraisers.com

Lynn

Edited to add... Melanie - great minds run on the same track... and we were posting at the same time!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

aj55

Rough_Rock
thanks for the input. the total depth is 62.1%. hope this helps.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
On the HCA it scored EX/EX/EX/VG, total score 1.2 TIC. Excellent score!
You will need the crown height % and pavilion depth % to do the AGA DIY Cut Grader.

It looks like it would be a real beauty.
love.gif
Can you see it in person?

How about getting Idealscope and/or H & A shots, etc? Is any of that available?

Lynn

aj55

Rough_Rock
it is from a local dealer here in vancouver. the stone in person looks great. another question is that on the ags cert. the date is july 2003. is that too old of a diamond to buy?.

questionsRus

Shiny_Rock
Hm. I just bought a diamond from superbcert, and its specs were .81 ct, I color, VVS2 clarity. It scores a 1.4 on the hca (i don't feel like looking up the actual dimensions right now), and it only cost me $3175. My point is, are canadian diamonds more expensive than other diamonds?

aj55

Rough_Rock
does anyone else have any info that they can offer re: this stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results