shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with a ring size question

aschaef

Rough_Rock
I am having a custom engagement ring made as we speak, the problem is my girlfriend''s ring finger is skinnier than her knuckle. She needs a 4.5 size to get the ring over her knuckle, but once it is on, her finger is closer to a 4 or 4.25 size. Is there anything that can be used to fix this? I have heard of a butterfly contraption, but everyone that I asked said those don''t work. I need some kind of solution to help keep the ring from spinning around.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi Aschaef,

I have the same problem. Keep in mind that the ring will fit more tightly when there''s a wedding band on the finger too. Go and try on some wedding bands with her to see if that will help. Try wedding bands the same size as her ring, but also a little smaller or bigger to get the fit she likes.

if that doesn''t help, some people have sizing beads, or a sizing bridge put on the inside of the ring band to keep the ring from spinning, a jewler with a good benchman should be able to do this for you.

Attached is a Pic of sizing beads in Sonomacounty''s ring

454sonomacountysizingbeads1.jpg

EHR2009

Brilliant_Rock
I was going to suggest sizing beads, as well. They can be easily removed if the wedding band allows the rings to fit tighter.

aschaef

Rough_Rock
I had heard that the sizing beads would be uncomfortable and that I might want to try a European shank, but that would be kind of squarish on the outside to keep the ring from spinning. I don''t think I want to change the style of the round shank.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
It will fit tighter with a wedding band.

The difference between 4.25 and 4.5 is quite *teeny* so it may not even be that noticeably "spinney" once it is on. As long as it will not fall off her knuckle, I would not worry about it yet. See how she feels after wearing it for a while (i.e. a month or so), since it is a rather small size difference and you are not at risk of her losing it over her knuckle. Don't forget fingers also tend to swell during the day, the month and during the year as seasons go by. That wiggle room may be much appreciated, and some people also like their rings to be a bit more loose. I wear my rings about 3/4 of a full size "too big" to accommodate my finger ranging anywhere from a 5.25 in the colder weather to a 6+ in the heat.

PavePrincess

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/9/2010 9:45:13 AM
Author: aschaef
I had heard that the sizing beads would be uncomfortable and that I might want to try a European shank, but that would be kind of squarish on the outside to keep the ring from spinning. I don''t think I want to change the style of the round shank.

I had sizing beads put in and then had them removed the next day. Some people can deal with them, but mine were kind of tall and sent shooting pains up my hand. Not fun. I would also wait and let her wear the ring for a bit. If she thinks it''s too loose then you can try one of several different sizing options.

I tried sizing bars, which worked okay.. but my ring was still flopping around my finger. So, we had a butterfly spring put in and it has worked well. It''s comfortable and it keeps my ring from spinning. However, it may make it hard for her to put the ring on and take it off (due to the extra metal on the inside of the band). Good luck, I can wait to see her beautiful custom ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results