shape
carat
color
clarity

My new ring is BROKEN

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Enraged

Rough_Rock
I have had my engagement ring for 6 months and the setting is broken! There is crack under a bagette! I had it in to the Jewellers for an adjustment, which they ensured me would not be a problem - and now my setting is cracked! I am so so so upset. I just noticed now and as soon as my financee can get off work we are going to talk to the Jewellers. This minor adjustment also left scratches on all 4 of the claws of my center stone!!
QUESTION: - once a setting has been broken - can it be repaired or should I get a new setting? 18K white gold.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Let the store do what they want to fix it. Once it is done and ready, go in and look at it carefully. If it is not right, say so. If it looks fine, then see how it goes. If the fix lasts for twenty years, then no problem. If it last for 20 days, go back and be more insistent about a newly made mounting.

In other words, don't fire all your ammo at one skirmish. Be a little patient and just see how nice they can treat you. Maybe you will be pleasantly surprised. Don't assume otherwise, until they prove they are jerks.....

Let nature take its course.

fancycoloredfan

Rough_Rock
You should ask what kind of white gold it is. Does it have nickel in it? Nickel white gold is susceptible to damage from chlorine (swimming pools, hot tubs, household laundry products) so if you are the type of person to wear your ring 24/7 including showering/sleeping/cleaning etc., you might want to go with platinum instead or make sure your ring is 18k palladium white gold.

good luck!

Enraged

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your help! Different types of white gold - oh my goodness - I had no idea - I will find out tonight.
They had to size my ring (I think half a size) and they were going to lower two side stones. They promised me it wouldn't jeopardize the structure of the ring (my instincts made me ask them that - funny how that works). Great advice - I will go back tonight and just see what they say and how they treat me. Let's hope things go okay. Thank you thank you!

Enraged

Rough_Rock
Well I went back to the Jewellers tonight and they promised to have the ring fixed for tomorrow ( I told them to take their time :) but they insisted this goes to the top of their list - please don't rush..).
All four claws surrounding my 0.74ct stone are guaged - they have suggested they are going to replace the entire head? I have given the chance to fix all the errors and lets see what happens. Where the ring is broken ( cracked in 3 different spots ) they are suggesting might have happened when they sized the ring - and they will soder them back together and we won't even know.
Is it possible for this ring to be like new again? Should I just go somewhere else and get a custom setting designed again?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Take a deep breath, go back up a few messages, read David Atlas again, take another deep breath. You are getting sleepy.... It will all feel better in the morning...

Wink

kevinng

Shiny_Rock
Haha... You should have done that to the guy who stole your kayak. He definitely deserved it.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results