shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement ring in a penguin pebble

hugh

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I''m proposing soon to my girlfriend and I''m in the middle of purchasing an engagement ring. I''m fond of the way some penguins "propose" by offering a pebble and wanted to do something similar.

Any ideas on how I would source a nice polished pebble, and get it cut into so I can place the engagement ring inside it?

Regards,
Hugh

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cute idea!

This might not be as classy an idea as you''re thinking, but it could be a good back up plan for you. What about using a rock-shaped hide a key?

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
that is a cute idea.. I''m thinking of those stone vases I''ve seen with the polished holes in them.. hmmm

johnjack19

Rough_Rock
I think this is a great idea. As someone in your situation who''s getting close myself, I am extremely impressed with the originality.

As far as executing on this idea, I''m pretty sure you could get decorative pebbles at most lawn and garden stores or a Home Depot.

You can also probably get a couple of stones sliced in half at Home Depot as well since I believe they have tile / concrete saws available for customers to have custom cuts made.

Then to bore out the hole, I would think that a Dremmel type tool with some type of carbide tip could be used to hollow out a cavity within the pebble. This is why I suggest having more than one pebble cut in half because you might crack the pebble during this process. Better to have a couple of backups!

Finally, you might be able to use a simple white glue or wood glue to "gently" attach the two halves together with the ring inside. This way you could give it to her and she could pop it open rather easiily, but still be able to give it to her as a complete pebble. Make sure you test this technique without the ring inside first though to make sure the glue breaks away easy enough!

This might be a decent amount of work, but definitely something that could be done in a day I''m guessing. Either way, it would be worth it for the surprise factor.

Good luck!

MRnoNAME

Rough_Rock
What about getting a geode? cut or uncut, i know they have some you can cut open yourself so you end up having both sides and can present it ''closed'' with the ring hidden inside. They are already hollow, look like regular old rocks on the outside, but awesome colored crystals on the inside. My uncle collects these and i have seen some really cool ones, you can get one that fits your/ her personality. and later, you can use it to place her ring when she isnt wearing it, or just to put on a shelf as a cool little keepsake. if you have no idea what a geode is, check this link!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geode

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2010 7:20:55 PM
Author: MRnoNAME
What about getting a geode? cut or uncut, i know they have some you can cut open yourself so you end up having both sides and can present it ''closed'' with the ring hidden inside. They are already hollow, look like regular old rocks on the outside, but awesome colored crystals on the inside. My uncle collects these and i have seen some really cool ones, you can get one that fits your/ her personality. and later, you can use it to place her ring when she isnt wearing it, or just to put on a shelf as a cool little keepsake. if you have no idea what a geode is, check this link!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geode

I second the geode idea! They are pretty and sparkly on their own, so a ring inside would make it that much cooler!

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
Love the geode idea because it''s something pretty that she could keep on her dresser or nightstand to remember the proposal.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I love the geode idea too!

Nov2109

Shiny_Rock
I love your idea! If you have a gemstore around they often have stones/geodes in them. I think the originality of your proposal is awesome! I would love it!

frebay

Rough_Rock
you need a las choyas geode!

geode

frebay

Rough_Rock
i''m going to use this idea as well. i bought a 2 in geode that was already cracked and i put the ring in and used rubber cement to glue it together. rubber cement is great b/c it just peels right off so she can twist and open. i''ll post a pic or a video when i get a chance.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results