shape
carat
color
clarity

My first Barry

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been trying for weeks but they sell faster than I can get through checkout! So I was under great pressure as the new stones were being listed. All I could hear was TL saying "it''s too grey". I chose this for the added benefit of the color shift. No idea what Im going to do with it. I have to wait for it to get here to see what it says to me.
1.12 carat
6.2 mm
tunduru spinel

sp-6343g_335_detail.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Lovely! That''s a very pretty purple. I love the steely purple of spinels.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
Mmmmmm, I was JUST drooling over that one. Thanks for beating me to it! (well, my wallet thanks you, anyway....)
1.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations. It looks pretty. I like the color. I have a color shift spinel and it''s fun to see what color it looks like in different lighting.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/16/2010 11:08:32 PM
Author:VapidLapid
I''ve been trying for weeks but they sell faster than I can get through checkout! So I was under great pressure as the new stones were being listed. All I could hear was TL saying ''it''s too grey''. I chose this for the added benefit of the color shift. No idea what Im going to do with it. I have to wait for it to get here to see what it says to me.

1.12 carat

6.2 mm

tunduru spinel

Oh Vapid, it''s too grey!
25.gif
Just kidding!! LOL!

I hope you love it when you get it. Keep us posted, and take lots of photos.
1.gif

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Oh so you are the person who picked up the spinel! You also beat me to it! It is just lovely!

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
WOO HOO....I took a nap and just saw this beauty for the first time!!!
36.gif

Lori

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Its a rich, pretty purple! comparing to most other spinel I have seen online:) I do like it too, if it''s not too ark IRL!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, how beautiful! Love the color!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A purple Tanzanian spinel! It’s a little dark but Barry’s stone are always better IRL so I hope it’ll meet your expectations. I can’t wait to find out if it colour shifts to blue/violet.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s a lovely shade of purple! I was admiring it on his site yesterday as well. I''m really looking forward to your pictures of it!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all, I was more than a little apprehensive. That so many others with tastes I admire had been eyeing it is encouraging. I was/am a tiny bit concerned about it being dark, BUT I have noticed over time in here that barry''s photos are usually a little dull and flat and that the stones are much brighter and livelier IRL. Certainly I am hoping that will be the case here too.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As TL herself often says, "it looks (so-and-so) on my monitor". I do not see any grey and the color is lovely!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Lovely spinel!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
So here it is. It arrived today while I was suffering through 8th grade graduation.
I realized late in the night after I bought it that I already have a (small) purply spinel by PT, so they are photographed together and Im considering a more permanent union for them. Barry''s stone is dark but not in a bad way. the color is well saturated and there is no grey. the cut is lively and super sparkly. Indoors it is a moby grape purple, while is daylight it is purpley with both blue and red flashes like brazilian and uruguayan amethyst had a baby. I showed it to an old friend who used to be a buyer of rough colord stones on 47th street and now has a shop here in Soho. She was amazed by it. She also thought it was Tanzanite! Odd because she is a total spinel nut. in daylight it does have a tanzanite coloring but way more sparkly and dispersive. So far I''ve only indoor pics, tomorrow I get the sun.

shinyspiny1.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
One more

spinyshiny.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Ok, just did the daylight photoshoot. Here comes the barrage!

daylightspineltime.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

daylightspinelstime.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

floraspin1.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

floraspin2.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

floraspin3.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

floraspin4.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

floraspin5.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

floraspin6.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

floraspin7.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

floraspin8.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
thats all. So is it a keeper, too dark, or grey?

floraspin9.jpg

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I''m pretty sure I was eying that one up too. Very nice.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous! Ahh, this thread and the Show me the Barry thread are making me reach for my pocketbook. Bah!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Hey Vapid! Who sets your stones in the city? I have a friend up there in NYC and she can get some stuff set for me if you tell me where the setter is (I don''t set delicate pieces, only simple stuff) . Also, where''s your friend''s shop, does she do jewelry or something? Does your friend, the ex-rough buyer, ever help you select rough online? I would be all over that, then send it to Jerry Newman to cut for me.

I like the spinel, but it''s a little dark for my particular taste. LOOOVVVEEE the color change. Barry was 100% accurate in his written description IMHO.

It IS very dramatic, though. I think people will notice it flashing even in a dark restaurant.

Barry is a great guy, you''ll have no issues with him, no matter what you decide.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results