shape
carat
color
clarity

Seriously need some advice

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Okay friends! I have a question that need some attention here, cos I am in a dilemma. I noticed an approx 1mm chip on the star facet/girdle of my Chrome Tourmaline (looks like an indented natural in a diamond under 10X loupe, it is like a 'dot' between 2 star facet point, it DOES NOT break the girdle. If the thickness of the rather thick girdle is 2mm, the chip is slightly less that 1mm) It appears like a speck of dust when you look closely with unaided eyes.

There are 2 options here.

A) Is to ship it back to Michael to polish out the chip and re-mount the stone back in its original setting (I will have to pay US 20 for shipping both ways)

B) Is to leave it as it this.

My question is does having a chip makes the stone more prone to future damage? As mentioned I am kinda fussy and to leave it as it this, I just do not feel good. But the stone comes with an AIGS report, will repolishing this little flaw reduces its carat weight? I am worried that it does not 'tally' with the 2.40 carats stated on the report. Or is the repolishing so minimal that it hardly make any difference in the weight? Will the repolishing result in an uneven looking girdle?

Please advice! TIA

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I''m interested in everyone''s answers also, as I have a blue spinel and am facing the same dilemma (except mine has not been set).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it is an indented natural and does not break the surface, I''d leave it alone.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/15/2010 9:21:49 PM
Author: Chrono
If it is an indented natural and does not break the surface, I''d leave it alone.
Would you give the same advice if it was a scratch (looks man-made)

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
How about a picture ? The location of this is not entirely clear and the method of removing a chip or scratch from the girdle edge is different from removing a similarly sized ding from higher up on the stone. The depth of the chip is also critical and a picture is worth 1000 words.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on the size of the scratch, the depth and the location.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/15/2010 9:21:49 PM
Author: Chrono
If it is an indented natural and does not break the surface, I'd leave it alone.

HI Chrono! It 'looks like' an indented natural but it certainly a chip, tiny in surface area, looking a little deep.

Hi Michael! Great to hear you around! I had just forwarded an email to you on these. I will try capturing it in photos

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Assuming the chip occurred after the AIGS cert then the stone already doesn''t match. Still I would leave it alone unless it includes a running fracture sort of feather that could grow.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry to hear that. I would see if they can polish it out because it would bother me.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
here you go. It looks like a wear on the facets. Although it is a chip. I never have luck in stone setting
39.gif

IMG_5210p_2.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
pict 2

IMG_5215p_2.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
pict 3, a good thing, it does not 'thin down' the girdle

IMG_5216p_2.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
pict 4, see the chip at the facet point?

IMG_5224p_2.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
pict 5

IMG_5229p_2.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
pict 6

IMG_5232p_2.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
So the chip appears to be on the crown, right where it meets the girdle. Is that a correct reading?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awe, that is so sad to see. It would bother me so I''d have them try to polish it out.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
YES VL!:) glad you can tell. Tks marcyc, I thought so too
7.gif

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
If it were me, which it is not, I would put a drop of olive oil on it and tell myself it was no different than an emerald. There after I would avoid ultra sonics. Since it is you and not me I understand you wanting, needing it addressed more traditionally. I advocate sending it to michael to work his magic.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chictomato, I know myself - if there is something wrong with a piece of jewelry I will see it everytime I wear it then eventually it just sets in my jewelry box.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi VL and marcyc tks for the input:) ya I agree with the both of you, I should send it back, hopefully it will come back beautifully.

VL-that's funny
21.gif

Btw Michael thinks that there should be no problem fixing this, it might just drop a point or 2, but nothing drastic (I am kinda glad to hear that) shall be out in the mail the first thing tomorrow! Will certainly keep you guys update
21.gif
Thank you all!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to hear you are getting it fixed. I can''t wait to see it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results