shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a 3.4+ ct RB G+, VS2+

jgny

Shiny_Rock
I went to the store to compare cushions and rounds and now I am reconsidering buying a round instead of a cushion. It has been hard to find the cushion that I want, so I wanted to look at the rounds out there. However, I''m having trouble finding rounds within the parameters I am looking for:

3.4+ ct
excellent cut
G+
VS2+
Under $100K

I wanted to see what they would price out at. I looked at some at Tiffany''s today in the 3.5 range and they were around $120-130K.

When I look at Blue Nile Signature Ideal or Ideal, there is a 3.63 and then it goes down to a 3.27. Searching by Cut (above) yields nothing. Whiteflash has nothing. James Allen has a 3.39 G VS1, then it jumps to a 3.63 E VVS2. BGD jumps from 3.31 D VS1 to 3.74 G VS1.

Anywhere else I should look?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
try calling Good Old Gold, they might not have any in stock but they should be able to source some for you

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
May I ask: the reason you're keeping under 3.50ct is to prevent the huge price increase from 3.50ct and above, right? Diamond prices are so horribly high now...KILL ME!
7.gif

How about this one? Would you be willing to have it recut? I don't know of course what weight it'd end up being but hopefully it should stay around 3.50ct (maybe even slightly above).

http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/DiamondDetails.aspx?Item=179505250

There's no cert shown on the site, so you can't see the crown and pavilliion angles, but hopefully it's a candidate for recutting (?). You could ask ERD to send you and/ or Brian the cert and then ask Brian about the feasibility. You may even need to request that the stone be sent to Brian for him to have a look and make an assessment.

ETA: Oh also, with PS and wire discounts, the price should stay at almost exactly $100k. Recutting is very minimal -cost wise.

You may however enquire with your insurer to see if they'd insure the stone during the recutting process. What with it being a VS1, hopefully there won't be any big nasty feather that might spread further, but you never know! Ask if they'd iinsure it against breakage too.

jgny

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for reminding me about GOG, I always just think of him and ERD for cushions.

Nice find, stone-cold! And I like that the grade making inclusions are on the side.

I thought this was interesting, then I plugged it into the HCA and it was a 5.9! Even though GIA graded Excellent.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1306068.asp

Phoenix - No, actually not looking to keep under 3.5. I was actually trying to compare with the ones at Tiffany to see what the premium was. DH is leaning towards buying at Tiffany as he is sick of me looking around for the perfect cushion and of course he loves the song and dance there. We went in to compare cushions versus rounds and I must say at Tiffany comparing a 4.1 ct Novo to a 3.5 ct RB, the RB looked amazing and fiery!!! Made me love rounds all over again. And DH is sooooo traditional, he really wants me to get a RB for the upgrade. Yeah - I hear you on prices. Frustrating!!! BTW - did you ever do a post on your 3.02ct with pics??? Would love to see closeups!

Recutting is not an option.
7.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/14/2010 12:43:19 AM
Author: jgny

I thought this was interesting, then I plugged it into the HCA and it was a 5.9! Even though GIA graded Excellent.

Phoenix - No, actually not looking to keep under 3.5. I was actually trying to compare with the ones at Tiffany to see what the premium was. DH is leaning towards buying at Tiffany as he is sick of me looking around for the perfect cushion and of course he loves the song and dance there. We went in to compare cushions versus rounds and I must say at Tiffany comparing a 4.1 ct Novo to a 3.5 ct RB, the RB looked amazing and fiery!!! Made me love rounds all over again. And DH is sooooo traditional, he really wants me to get a RB for the upgrade. Yeah - I hear you on prices. Frustrating!!! BTW - did you ever do a post on your 3.02ct with pics??? Would love to see closeups!

7.gif
YIKES! Some of those GIA so-called Excellent cut stones are anything but excellent!
20.gif

I know what you mean about getting sick of looking. You've been looking around for a bit, haven't you? So have I. In the meantime, prices keep jumping on us! Drats!
38.gif
39.gif

There are pics of my 3.02ct in various threads. If you'd like, I can start a new thead with more pics (but these would have to be old pics, since I don't have the ring with me - it's safely tucked away in the safety deposit box in Singapore).

jgny

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/14/2010 12:52:26 AM
Author: Phoenix
Date: 6/14/2010 12:43:19 AM

7.gif

YIKES! Be careful of those GIA so-called Excellent cut stones!
20.gif

I know what you mean about getting sick of looking. You''ve been looking around for a bit, haven''t you? So have I. In the meantime, prices keep jumping on us! Drats!
38.gif
39.gif

There are pics of my 3.02ct in various threads. If you''d like, I can start a new thead with more pics (but these would have to be old pics, since I don''t have the ring with me - it''s safely tucked away in the safety deposit box in Singapore).

Yes, it gets depressing when I look at some of my old printouts and the pricing. I think I was so burned from the impulse 3 ct we bought which was a long saga to return. I''ve been taking my time looking for the perfect cushion and I feel like I''m chasing the prices. Tried looking at the resales and auctions but a bit scary. I''ve become a bit of a size wh*re in the process as well.

I''ll look through your old posts for pics. :) BTW - you are in China, right? Do you know anything about getting insurance in Hong Kong? We are relocating there later this year and I need to do some investigating.

hunt7191

Rough_Rock
I purchased my 3.4 RB from Martin at USAcerted. two years ago. It is an I color, excellent cut so I got it for a third of that price but it faces up as white as my F earrings. Good luck to you! BTW, I think this stone is the perfect size. 2 years later and I catch my breath every time I look down at my hand : ) I also had it set in a halo.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/14/2010 1:02:53 AM

Yes, it gets depressing when I look at some of my old printouts and the pricing. I think I was so burned from the impulse 3 ct we bought which was a long saga to return. I've been taking my time looking for the perfect cushion and I feel like I'm chasing the prices. Tried looking at the resales and auctions but a bit scary. I've become a bit of a size wh*re in the process as well.

I'll look through your old posts for pics. :) BTW - you are in China, right? Do you know anything about getting insurance in Hong Kong? We are relocating there later this year and I need to do some investigating.
I know what you mean!!
15.gif
I have tons of spreadsheets of larger stones' prices going back a few years. The best time to buy would have been last year, because now they're even higher than during the high three-four years ago! So, depressing is right!
39.gif
38.gif

I've tried to look at auctions too. Do you know I missed out on a 4.50ct H VVS1 Tiffany Lucida a few years back. I found it on an auction, had the appraisal done (cost me a whopping $900 bucks!
6.gif
) and I STUPIDLY posted the details here, so of course the prices were driven up (I think it went for something like $90k and when I'd spoken to the auctioneer beforehand, they said they didn't expect bidding to go much higher than the reserve which was $50-60k). Talk about incredibly STUPID!! I will NEVER do that again, that's for sure.

So auction houses are definitely worth considering, given your very generous budget. I personally feel that as long as you've done your due diligence and have a good and thorough appraiser on your side, you'll be fine. I'm now seriously considering that route, given that regular channels are out of reach for me.

Don't get me started on being a size wh8re, LOL!! It seems that my appetite is getting larger and larger. I saw an old acquaintaince in Singapore last week and she was sporting a 7.50ct-ish RB in an amazing setting!!
6.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
This is on top of her 6ctw+ studs and numerous other bling items!! Did NOT help with DSS, I tell ya!
11.gif
31.gif
1.gif

I used Prudential for insurance in Hong Kong. But Chubb should do it too. I can email my insurance agent in SG and get the details for you if you'd like.

You're going to be relocating to HK? How exciting!!
36.gif
I love HK - used to live there. We should do a HK GTG for SG and HK PSer's. I met up with DiaDiva last week in SG and we had a *blast*!!
36.gif
There are quite a few of us in both places. It'd be really fun to meet up and ogle each other's bling!
9.gif

jgny

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/14/2010 1:50:23 AM
Author: Phoenix
Date: 6/14/2010 1:02:53 AM

I''ve tried to look at auctions too. Do you know I missed out on a 4.50ct H VVS1 Tiffany Lucida a few years back. I found it on an auction, had the appraisal done (cost me a whopping $900 bucks!
6.gif
) and I STUPIDLY posted the details here, so of course the prices were driven up (I think it went for something like $90k and when I''d spoken to the auctioneer beforehand, they said they didn''t expect bidding to go much higher than the reserve which was $50-60k). Talk about incredibly STUPID!! I will NEVER do that again, that''s for sure.

So auction houses are definitely worth considering, given your very generous budget. I personally feel that as long as you''ve done your due diligence and have a good and thorough appraiser on your side, you''ll be fine. I''m now seriously considering that route, given that regular channels are out of reach for me.

Don''t get me started on being a size wh8re, LOL!! It seems that my appetite is getting larger and larger. I saw an old acquaintaince in Singapore last week and she was sporting a 7.50ct-ish RB in an amazing setting!!
6.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
This is on top of her 6ctw+ studs and numerous other bling items!! Did NOT help with DSS, I tell ya!
11.gif
31.gif
1.gif

I used Prudential for insurance in Hong Kong. But Chubb should do it too. I can email my insurance agent in SG and get the details for you if you''d like.

You''re going to be relocating to HK? How exciting!!
36.gif
I love HK - used to live there. We should do a HK GTG for SG and HK PSer''s. I met up with DiaDiva last week in SG and we had a *blast*!!
36.gif
There are quite a few of us in both places. It''d be really fun to meet up and ogle each other''s bling!
9.gif

Yes. I saw your Lucida post (heartbreaking!). Yes, relocating to HK, land of the tai-tais and their bling. LOL! Would love to get info on insurance. I''ll get in touch.

jgny

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Phoenix! I had sent you a message through the other site (the one where you sold your Tiffany Metro). Don''t know if you ever got it? The stone you linked looks nice. Dare I say it is too big? I also found this 3.63 G VS2 - scores 0.7 on the HCA and it''s $74,673.46. But not crazy about where the inclusions are under the table...

http://www.agslab.com/pdf_sync_reports/104044745002-GDQR.PDF

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/16/2010 2:21:26 AM
Thanks Phoenix! I had sent you a message through the other site (the one where you sold your Tiffany Metro). Don't know if you ever got it? The stone you linked looks nice. Dare I say it is too big? I also found this 3.63 G VS2 - scores 0.7 on the HCA and it's $74,673.46. But not crazy about where the inclusions are under the table...

http://www.agslab.com/pdf_sync_reports/104044745002-GDQR.PDF
No worries. But there's no such thing as "too big"!! Sacrilege!!
11.gif
2.gif
1.gif

Sorry I didn't get round to answering yr message straightaway. Haven't checked my a/c much recently. I've just sent a message back to you.

Personally, if I were to spend that much money, I would not choose a stone with inclusions under the table. Sorry.

I bought an Si1 recently and it has a so-called cloud (cluster of pinpoints - black!!
14.gif
) under the table. I hesitated about it at the time but went ahead and bought it anyway because it was a bit cheaper. It still bugs me almost everyday. It didn't cost me anywhere as much as the sum you're planning to spend! But it all depends on how "mind-clean" you want your stone to be, IMHO.

ETA: I just noticed that it's a VS1. That should be ok, but then again I'd call it in to have a look personally to assess your own comfort level. Btw, are you buying from s.o. with return, buyback and upgrade policies and all that? I'm sure you are but thought I'd mention it anyway (i've made some very expensive mistakes, so just want other PS'ers not to make the same).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results