shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Jewelerman and...

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
..others who like vintage watch!

I have been searching for a good quality gold vintage mechanical watch to wear for everyday. I want to have a "ticking watch" to let it remind me of the preciousness of time. :) I was wondering if you could give me advice on what brand to focus on? So far I came across a few that I like: 1950 Wittnauer by Longines with small diamonds (decorative only), 1950 Girard Perregaux also small round watch with small diamonds, another 1950 Lady Hamilton small round diamond one, and a 1920/30 Blancpain plain gold watch.

My specific questions are: assuming they are all of equal condition (same seller, same shape/quality from the seller pictures), 1) should I pick one based on "all original parts" or one that may have a newer replacement movement? 2) Which of the 4 brands above hold value the best? I know Blancpain is perceived to be the highest end brand, but it also is the oldest, plainest one with no diamond. If I want to sell them 5 years later, which will generate best return, or preserve most value? 3) Once I pick one with your help, is it a good idea to refinish the gold body with rhodium plating? or is it better (for keeping value purpose) to leave it alone? Finally, any other watch brand you would recommend me look for, or any considerations I should think about?

Much Thanks!!!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2010 2:44:36 AM
Author:zhuzhu
..others who like vintage watch!

I have been searching for a good quality gold vintage mechanical watch to wear for everyday. I want to have a ''ticking watch'' to let it remind me of the preciousness of time. :) I was wondering if you could give me advice on what brand to focus on? So far I came across a few that I like: 1950 Wittnauer by Longines with small diamonds (decorative only), 1950 Girard Perregaux also small round watch with small diamonds, another 1950 Lady Hamilton small round diamond one, and a 1920/30 Blancpain plain gold watch.

My specific questions are: assuming they are all of equal condition (same seller, same shape/quality from the seller pictures), 1) should I pick one based on ''all original parts'' or one that may have a newer replacement movement? 2) Which of the 4 brands above hold value the best? I know Blancpain is perceived to be the highest end brand, but it also is the oldest, plainest one with no diamond. If I want to sell them 5 years later, which will generate best return, or preserve most value? 3) Once I pick one with your help, is it a good idea to refinish the gold body with rhodium plating? or is it better (for keeping value purpose) to leave it alone? Finally, any other watch brand you would recommend me look for, or any considerations I should think about?

Much Thanks!!!
In my opinion...which you know i will share
16.gif
i would go with the 1950s Girard Perregaux...this time period is when they were at their best, and they are well respected with collectors today!The Longines brand was extremely popular in this time period(i own a 1950 gents 14kt auto Wittnauer/longines)but not the quality of the G.P.I would love to own a Blancpain ,but the 1920-30 time period is a little old for me if i were to wear it everyday...finding parts may be diffecult.You buy the watch you want to keep long term...there is very little interst among serious collectors for ladies watches and so liqudating will take time and you will probably break even on what you paid before having it serviced ti wear everyday.Dont Rhodium the watch...these,in my opinion look better in yellow gold.in your shopping look for vintage omegas and Rolexes(the brands hold their value well, even for ladies watches)Remember that up keep on vintage can get expensive and many of these watches you cant get wet because they dont have the water resistance that modern watches do.(thats why i like the vintage Rolexes...they love water
16.gif
)

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Jewelerman!
I would love to see your vintage watch collection if you have pictures! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results