shape
carat
color
clarity

Really disappointed/upset - Sally lotus arrived

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
A few months ago I made my very first colored gemstone purchase - a Barry garnet, which I LOVE. I sent it off to Sally of Heart of Water (Etsy) to be placed in a silver and rose gold lotus. After seeing her pics of my finished ring and excitedly making my final payment, something in her photos caught my eye. A prong that looked a little off - but maybe it was just a funny reflection?

I quickly wrote her a message hoping she could take a look before sending the ring, but she checked her payments inbox and not her etsy one, so she didn''t see my note until after the ring was in the mail. No worries, she assured me, she checked the ring before sending it and the stone was secure.

I beg to differ.
39.gif

exhibit 2.jpg

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
I can see the light shining through between the stone and prong from arms length or farther away...

exhibit 1.jpg

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
Against a darker/colored background.

Sally said her in her note replying to me that if the ring got here and there was a problem I could send it back to her. But... at this point I''ve waited 2 months for this ring, worried about my garnet in transit to and then from Thailand, and the person setting the stone did such a poor job that altogether I''m not feeling very rosy about dropping it back in the mail for her. Right now I''m too upset to draft a safe message, but I''m considering asking her to just refund me whatever it costs me to get the ring adjusted by a local jeweler. What would you guys do in this situation?

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
oops, helps to attach the pic

exhibit 3a.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It appears that the problems with it are minor and should be easily fixed by a local jeweler (make sure you get a decent benchperson). I would ask for a refund for the amount it costs to get the job fixed. Show her the invoice when it is done, and I hope she agrees to it. The stone is obviously not secure at all in that setting, and I wouldn''t wear it until it is fixed. Sorry about the issues. I wonder why it came out so badly knowing how people are so thrilled with her workmanship. I guess every so often there''s a lemon, even Leon isn''t immune to producing lemons.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL,
You don’t think it’s just the prong becoming loose in transit? I cannot explain the feather thing though.
25.gif

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
My secondhand Lotus has a similar issue, but I never did anything about it. Mainly because, because I bought it secondhand, I have no idea if the gap is original to the piece or if the prongs loosened after wear. I assumed it was due to wear, but now I wonder... anyway, I think your idea of having a jeweler fix it and asking Sally to reimburse you is the best idea and the fairest for everyone. I hope you resolve the issue quickly so you can start loving your ring.

karpouzilotus.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/15/2010 12:04:00 PM
Author: Chrono
TL,
You don’t it’s just the prong becoming loose in transit? I cannot explain the feather thing though.
25.gif
Chrono,
You make a good point. I didn''t think of that. Doh!
19.gif

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
I really don''t think it''s the prong coming loose during transit. I pressed gently and cannot flex the prong, and there is just TOO MUCH space around the stone. There''s no physical way for the stone, with its diameter, to fill the distance between the E/W prongs. The N/S prongs look MUCH better, so it also doesn''t seem likely that the stone significantly moved.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
you could fly a 747 through that gap..wowzers..chill out for awhile so you don''t say anything you may regret..it''s an easy fix like TL said(not that i would know but I usually take her word for it..not a setting person)

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I once had a minor problem on a Sally piece (there was a noticeable scratch on a charm on my tanzanite pendant), and I wrote her about it nicely and included a picture. She was very nice about and gave me a small refund without my even having to ask. Enough to cover buffing out the scratch if I chose to do so.

She does have a few different goldsmiths and I think some are better than others...

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, that''s unfortunate. The ring itself looks lovely, but yes, that''s a big gap in the prongs. Fortunately it doesn''t appear to be a serious problem; it should be a pretty easy fix for a local jeweler to handle. Just try to find one who handles colored gems and not just diamonds.

Sally is incredibly nice and willing to work with people whenever there are issues. I''ve never had a problem with the workmanship on any of my Heart of Water pieces, but once I had an aquamarine get lost (partly my fault since I hid it a little too well, as I''ve told on these boards before) and she was super quick in offering to replace it and giving me a generous selection of replacements to choose from. I really can''t praise her customer service highly enough. Whatever you decide to do, I''m sure she''ll do her best to make it good.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I cannot explain the feather thing though.

It probably came back via Airmail. (Sorry, I must be having a stupid humor day).

lelser

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It looks to me like the stone was set by someone who is used to very thin girdles, and did not correctly cut the seat for a custom stone with a more substantial girdle. I use an excellent setter in Vancouver who understands custom colour.

I also would not wear the ring until it''s fixed but think it''s perfectly reasonable to get the ring repaired and ask a refund for the charge. If the vendor wants you to return it (she probably pays a LOT less for setting than you would) she should cover shipping in both directions.

Cheers,

Lisa

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2010 1:09:27 PM
Author: Michael_E

I cannot explain the feather thing though.

It probably came back via Airmail. (Sorry, I must be having a stupid humor day).
**SNORT**

ladyc, so sorry about your ring...I know how much you were looking forward to it. I hope you and Sally are able to come to a fair resolution...and quickly!...as I know you''re dying to show off that Barry garnet!

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi ladycieI am sorry hear that you are unhappy with the ring. It certainly looks like a minor issue, I am sure it will be settled soon. I was just wondering if the setter is afraid of scratching the stone, hence he does not dare to press down the prong closer to the stone ? regarding the fluff/feather, I am rather certain that it's the fibre of a polishing material (some kinda cloth or hide). WhAtever it is. Find a reliable setter to fix this as I think there is a possibility of scratching the stone in the process! Cheer up:) I happened to notice that my latest set chrome tourmaline has a roundish approx1mm chip on the girdle too
15.gif

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry you had this issue with your ring. I can only imagine how disappointing this is. But at least it isn''t a chip (Like chictomato said) and looks like it should be able to be fixed pretty easily. I had a stone chipped by a setter and it could not be fixed. I have a Sally ring on its way to me although it is bezeled. Hope I don''t have anything wrong with mine.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ladyceil - Sally''s after-care is second to none and she''ll be mortified to see these photos. I''m positive she''ll refund you the cost of having it fixed locally and I personally wouldn''t send it back because of the postage and time issues.

In terms of the feather - I''m pretty sure that''s wax that hasn''t been removed from the moulding process. If you get a toothpick or toothbrush and wiggle it around a bit, the wax will be dislodged. I had exactly the same thing with one of the rings I bought from her but a bit of pushing dislodged it and it was absolutely fine afterwards.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I can definitely see what you''re talking about, and I agree with what the others have said (talk to Sally and ask her to reimburse you to get it repaired by a local jeweler...but be sure to find someone who sets colored stones, not just diamonds). The only thing I have to add is that I also had a minor quality control issue with a ring from Sally. I had a lotus and elixir ring made in the same custom order, and I asked for them both to be rhodum plated (the rings were silver) to match my other white gold lotus. When the rings came back, it was clear that the lotus had been plated and the elixir had not. Sally checked her records and refunded me the cost of the plating. She offered to plate it for free if I sent it back, but I didn''t want to ship it to Thailand.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is lovely and I hate to see the loose prong. I would contact her about it and see what she says.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much to everyone who replied. It''s nice to hear that I''m not over-blowing the problem with the prong (i.e. it''s just fine and I''m being too picky), and that, while frustrating, it should be easily fixed. I sent Sally the photos with a message simply stating my sadness at discovering that my concerns were, unfortunately, valid, and that I don''t think I can safely wear the ring in its present condition for fear of losing my stone. I decided to hold off on making a specific request re: fixing/refunding the cost to fix it locally because 1) I''d like for her the have chance to give her own thoughts on the matter, and 2) I haven''t gotten a chance to find a local bench person and get a quote for the repair.

TL, I definitely won''t be wearing the ring until it is fixed. The rest of the setting is nicely done - I really think it came down to the person setting the stone not following through in the same vein. I think what amazes me the most is that Sally missed the problem before shipping it - especially given the photos she takes. I actually asked for additional photos from the initial 4-5 so that I could see the profile better. Looking back at one photo in particular, the gap is clear as day - I wish I had caught it before submitting my payment.

Chrono, If it came loose during transit, I think it could only be a problem that just got worse. I spotted a potential problem - too late - in the photos Sally took before shipping.

karpouzi, I''m sorry to see yours has a similar issue.
8.gif
Do you wear it much?

amethyst guy - You gave me a good laugh with your 747 comment, because offf-PS I described the gap to vc10um as "big enough you could drive a truck through it". The 747 is probably more accurate.
2.gif

MTG I have definitely gotten the impression that Sally wants to do well by her customers, so I''m not afraid of the problem not being resolved somehow. I do think that if I get anything else from her in the future that I will be on the pushy side re: quality control...

Liane, that''s unfortunate about your lost stone! I''m glad to hear that Sally worked with you to make it right. It gives me hope for this situation.

Michael_E, thank you - you gave me a MUCH needed laugh, however silly. It''s only Tuesday, but this has been a doozy of a week so far where NOTHING wants to go right. Last night, in an effort to cheer myself up, I had a chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream cup only to discover nothing but plain vanilla. Stupid jokes, if they can make me smile, are completely welcome and appreciated.
1.gif

Lesler Thank you for the expert opinion on the setting job - I hadn''t thought of the thin vs thick girdle issue, but now that you pointed it out it does look like the prongs were notched for a completely different stone.

vc10um Thank you, Dear.
1.gif

chictomato You might be on to something re: the setter being afraid of damaging the stone. I''m sure the fluff thing can be removed - I just found it funny/odd that it would get stuck/left there. Both you and others are very right - my stone doesn''t appear to be damaged, which is a blessing.

Cind11 I hope your bezel turns out just as you''d like it to!

LovingDiamonds, I''m sure the fluff, whatever it is, can be removed with the right tool. I did try a toothpick, which didn''t work too well. It''s going back to a jeweler, whatever the case, so I''ll ask him/her to clean it out.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
Well, Sally got back to me, but I''m not quite sure what to do. Apparently she''ll be in the states next week, and she''s asked me to send the ring to her over here, with signature required, at her hotel. It would have to arrive there between the 21st and 27th, or it would miss her. She would then take it back to Thailand with her, have it reset, and then send it back ASAP. I really don''t know what to think of the signature required for a hotel guest delivery thing....what are the chances it could be signed for by the desk, and then disappear before she ever gets it?

Am I wrong to feel all kinds of ick about this plan? She''s offered a possible solution to getting the stone re-set, but about the only "convenient" things for me are 1) I''m shipping within the states vs overseas, and 2) she promises to send it back ASAP. I''ll have to try calling some local jewelers tomorrow for quotes, but can anyone offer some ballpark figures of what it might cost to have fixed? I''m paid in for enough on this ring that even if she refuses to reimburse me my costs I might just say screw it and pay for it out of pocket to get it right w/o the stress of more shipping.

Ugh. I was SO excited about this ring, with it being my first project and all, but it''s just totally soured for me right now.
7.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tell her you cannot guarantee, due to the sometimes inefficiency of the postal service, that it might not get to her at that time, and you feel a bit concerned about sending it to a hotel, and waiting again for another potentially long overseas shipment. Ask her to reimburse you the charges for a jeweler to fix it.

Did she even offer to pay for you to ship it to her in the States? If so, it can be expensive sending another registered package or a package that is required to make it to the seller at a certain time, and with a signature receipt.

I would require her to pay for a jeweler to fix it, in particular because she didn't check it before it left, and she said she did, and it's obviously bad work. Tell her that. Please let us know the outcome.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I have one word for you: pliers. Needle-nose pliers.

Seriously it''s just a tiny bit of metal, not nitroglycerin. If you don''t feel comfortable doing it yourself, ask a jeweler, but that is a 20 second fix.

If you want to do it yourself, just do it very slowly and with a magnifier. If you have some scrap gold jewelry laying around, try wiggling it with the pliers, it''s pretty easy

As for the hotel delivery, I have sent critical stuff many times to hotels and sometimes it is an issue. I have found tha marking the box with a sharpie, in giant cap letters helps a lot. Mark it GUEST SALLY on All sides. Then call the concierge, ask specifically who will be on duty that day and time and imply you will follow up. Then do it. Track your package, using fedex or UPS then keep calling Sally until she gets it. I have had situations where packages arrive, then disappear, only to be found after the guest has left. I have found that this plain persistence works

Unless it''s a four star hotel, then there''s no problem, unless there''s a convention. If it''s a convention, good luck to you.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I wouldnt do it yourself. Theres a reason jewelers charge so much to set a stone. Stones can chip and break in setting and I wouldnt risk that. THen you would feel REALLLLY bad.

I also wouldnt send it to a hotel. Too many things can go wrong. I would just request the setting fee refunded.

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/16/2010 12:49:43 AM
Author: ladyciel

karpouzi, I''m sorry to see yours has a similar issue.
8.gif
Do you wear it much?

I do and I love it, but I bought it for the setting, not the stone. I would get it fixed if I cared about the stone. IMO, Sally''s proposal just seems like a hassle for both you and her! I would suggest taking it to a jeweler and asking her to reimburse you. She may or may not (but my guess is that she would), but at least then you will have your ring back sooner and be able to put the issue behind you.

lelser

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/16/2010 8:59:05 AM
Author: iLander
I have one word for you: pliers. Needle-nose pliers.

Seriously it''s just a tiny bit of metal, not nitroglycerin. If you don''t feel comfortable doing it yourself, ask a jeweler, but that is a 20 second fix.

If you want to do it yourself, just do it very slowly and with a magnifier. If you have some scrap gold jewelry laying around, try wiggling it with the pliers, it''s pretty easy

As for the hotel delivery, I have sent critical stuff many times to hotels and sometimes it is an issue. I have found tha marking the box with a sharpie, in giant cap letters helps a lot. Mark it GUEST SALLY on All sides. Then call the concierge, ask specifically who will be on duty that day and time and imply you will follow up. Then do it. Track your package, using fedex or UPS then keep calling Sally until she gets it. I have had situations where packages arrive, then disappear, only to be found after the guest has left. I have found that this plain persistence works

Unless it''s a four star hotel, then there''s no problem, unless there''s a convention. If it''s a convention, good luck to you.

As a gem cutter, I have to hope you''re kidding. I used to set my own stones, then realized that the universe wanted us to have stone setters, and it was rude to bypass them :) The seat does NOT look like it fits the girdle, the claw is not just not touching the crown, it''s far away from the stone. DIY ''repair'' would likely mean a shipped stone, cracked claw or off-centre head.

I may be seeing reflections or other artifacts of the photo, but the whole thing looks like it needs better finishing.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clearly not the best of settings. I am planning to send her one of my stones, a garnet, considering the work she has done on MTG''s stones. Should I specifically ask her not to give the job the the jeweler who set Barry''s stone? I mean, it is a serious enough step to mail a 1K stone to Thailand, but I believe her work is very good and her prices are good, too, judging by what I have seen on the PS. But this setting is so...homemade.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not try to ply it down myself as it looks like the seat needs to be recut in order to better fit the thicker girdle.

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/16/2010 12:42:02 PM
Author: crasru
Clearly not the best of settings. I am planning to send her one of my stones, a garnet, considering the work she has done on MTG''s stones. Should I specifically ask her not to give the job the the jeweler who set Barry''s stone? I mean, it is a serious enough step to mail a 1K stone to Thailand, but I believe her work is very good and her prices are good, too, judging by what I have seen on the PS. But this setting is so...homemade.

I have a couple of her Pillbox (bezeled) rings and the craftsmanship is fantastic. If you are not having her bezel it I would just send her the dimensions of your stone and have her make the setting for you, then have the stone set locally.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results