shape
carat
color
clarity

Paranoid over lab report :)

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
hi there! II have another question:) I was just wondering. Since there isn''t a laser inscription number on the color stone, how can we be certain that that the report (esp GIT, without a photo) truly belongs to the gemstone that we purchase? In other words, I was thinking if it is possible, for instance they sent a particular unheated piece of 6mm round Sapphire to obtain multiple reports. Whenever there is a purchase, they will take this unheated piece of 6mm round Sapphire to obtain report. And then they will get the factory to cut a similar piece, which is treated/heated to send to the purchaser? I hope I am not being paranoid:)? Tia

My comments are always sincere, what''s the point of hypocritical ones :)

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
well sure that is logistically possible. could even have the report ready for a 6mm and a drawer full of stones ready to go that match the description. If I were concerned about a vendor potentially doing this, then I would not use that vendor.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Check the Measurments. If the color,cut, ct and measurments are the same, good chance it''s the right one.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

There is the carat weight which has to match in addition to the physical dimensions. Other than that, there is no other way, I’m afraid. This is why having a picture of the stone helps to a certain degree. You also have the option of having a gemologist view it to verify that the stone matches the cert, although for an inexpensive stone, it may not be cost effective.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/14/2010 1:13:40 PM
Author:chictomato
I was thinking if it is possible, for instance they sent a particular unheated piece of 6mm round Sapphire to obtain multiple reports. Whenever there is a purchase, they will take this unheated piece of 6mm round Sapphire to obtain report. And then they will get the factory to cut a similar piece, which is treated/heated to send to the purchaser?

All sapphire treatments, (except for coatings, which are easy to detect), require heat. If your untreated sapphire has any inclusions which are easy to see prior to getting a lab report, then they should still be there after the sapphire is returned. Since you have a loupe you should take a look at your sapphire and note any inclusions. Look at the stone when it returns and check it against your notes. Most stones have some obvious features, (not to mention particular colors), which, when viewed with a loupe, would have changed if the stone was switched. It would be very hard to make many switches without being caught at it and that would be the end of any lab as they exist based on their reputation. Pick a reputable lab and then don't worry about it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michael,
How will this work for stones that a prospective buyer has not seen in person? I’m thinking of the scenario where the prospective buyer is interested in buying a sapphire, contingent upon the lab report coming back as HT only. Also, as you know, many PSers refuse to purchase stones with eye visible inclusions, so matching it up can also be difficult if the stone is very clean to begin with.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of the things that irks me about the GIT memo is that it doesn't have a photo or something that prevents it from being easily forged (like the holograpm on other memos for example). For what you pay, $40, I think it's fair to ask them for one. The more expensive lab reports only come with the photo. However, most of the time, you will have a gem that is not easily reproducable by measurements or they're very rare. I have a violet cuprian cusion of 5.9 carats and a specific size, and I don't think the GIT memo was reproduced given how unique the gem is in size, shape, color, etc. . . Again, the vendor must be trustworthy too. Very important.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Chrono, The differences between heated and unheated sapphire is generally pretty easy to see under a microscope and the correct lighting. Even if a stone is eye clean, they invariably have some internal inclusions which allow a trained person to tell whether or not they have been heated. For your average buyer it could be difficult and so if a person is spending a significant amount of money, they should have a gemologist whom they trust look the stone over for them and compare it to it''s cert. A cert and a person to check it are always a good idea if you don''t know and trust the seller. This is one advantage to buying custom cut stones, in that they would be very hard to "fake" by a third party.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand for unheated versus heated, it is relatively easy to spot the rutiles and other tell tale marks. It becomes more difficult when it involves heat only or if other minerals have been added in the process. Filling should also be easily detected via microscopic study?

Edward Bristol

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It would be a lot of work to re-produce several natural gems in, say, exactly 2.14 carat and 6.54x5.34x3.51 millimeter and a certain color.

Possible of course, but a hell of a project. If you want to cheat people there are easier ways.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/15/2010 4:20:18 AM
Author: Edward Bristol
It would be a lot of work to re-produce several natural gems in, say, exactly 2.14 carat and 6.54x5.34x3.51 millimeter and a certain color.

Possible of course, but a hell of a project. If you want to cheat people there are easier ways.

Tks to all the input!

Edward- Tks for the ''simplified'' explanation
2.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results